$2 NLHE STT Turbo: JJ on the bubble, big blind is blinded out, UTG raises

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: JJ on the bubble, big blind is blinded out, UTG raises

At the time I was playing this hand, I thought a fold was standard, expecting a shoving range to be QQ+ considering its on the bubble with a sit-out player about to bust. However, after plugging it into SnG Wiz, I was surprised to find a range of almost 20% (this was after I adjusted villain's open range to be near 20%, which I think is a reasonable range for him to try to take the blinds with). I understand that my hand crushes this range, but considering UTG has me covered and is not likely to fold if I shove, I found it hard to believe I could make this play. Yes, even if UTG wins, I can still get 3rd if I'm ahead of the BB, but is it worth the risk? Bubbling here would be so sick.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 150/300 Blinds (4 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
UTG (t3175)
Button (t6830)
Hero (SB) (t3205)
BB (t290)
Hero's M: 7.12
Preflop: Hero is SB with J
club.gif
, J
heart.gif

UTG bets t900, 2 folds
Flop: (t730) 9
spade.gif
, A
diamond.gif
, 2
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Turn: (t730) J
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
River: (t730) 6
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Total pot: t730

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty standard jam.

It sounds like you now have the ability to analyze your own hands, so you might want to start trusting your own analysis.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, here's a pretty amateur question- if both me and the short stack got busted by the big stack, does 3rd place go to whoever had more chips going into the hand or whoever's hand was better by the river? (even if it wasn't good enough to beat big stack's hand)

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes 3rd goes to whoever had more chips. There is no way I'm folding jj in this spot

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plus, UTG does not have you covered. You have 3205, UTG has 3175.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove. You're playing to win, not to cash. If he has Aces/Kings/Queens/ so be it. You're still cashing as long as small stack busts out. You're the one shoving to get the guy to fold. If you're calling an all-in bet, it may be different but in this situation, shoving would be good.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove. You're playing to win, not to cash. If he has Aces/Kings/Queens/ so be it. You're still cashing as long as small stack busts out. You're the one shoving to get the guy to fold. If you're calling an all-in bet, it may be different but in this situation, shoving would be good.

I admire your attitude, however, you should not be "playing to win" in a STT; you should be playing to make +$EV decisions. Sometimes the two are the same, like when you are in the money and there are three players left. But on the bubble, we need to be very aware of our $EV and make careful decisions.

Sorry for the digression.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is standard here, it's going to be really unlikely for you to bubble in this spot, you have a premium hand, with 10bb's, the UTG will have to call, win, and then somehow the BB will have to win for you to bubble, this is just too good a spot to pass up on. you should be way ahead of UTG range, and he folds sometimes too if he's a spaz, which he probably is.