J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: ATo in BB facing min raise from SB chip leader

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 55/14/47

Huge chip stack in the SB. He had been playing alot of flops and had even called raises preflop with hands like 74o (hit a straight which contributed to his chip lead). He was quite passive postflop and checked it down unless he hit.

I get ATo in the BB and I have about 12 bigs left. He min-raises in the SB. I'm pretty sure he would do this with a weak ace or even a hand like KTo, especially considering his huge chip stack. I just had a good feeling I was ahead, and I was too short stacked to try to play it postflop. It is also less likely he even has an ace considering I have one. As you can probably guess, I shoved and he called w/ AKo.

Looking back, it was a pretty awful play I think. Against KQ, QJ or KJ I'm not a big favorite, and even hands like 87 I lose against 40% of the time. Plus, I was in no rush with 12 bigs....stupid mistake I guess.

Still I have two questions here:
My first question is, against an opponent who plays weak postflop, could I have tried to call/shove any flop he checks? In other words, pull a stop + go? Or is that kind of move better in the SB?

Second, if I were in the SB, could I shove with ATo against the big stack? Instinctively I feel like it's automatic, but now I'm not so sure...

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
MP (t860)
Button (t1100)
SB (t8120)
Hero (BB) (t1375)
UTG (t2045)
Hero's M: 9.17
Preflop: Hero is BB with A
heart.gif
, 10
spade.gif

3 folds, SB bets t200, Hero raises to t1375 (All-In), SB calls t1175
Flop: (t2750) 9
spade.gif
, 4
club.gif
, J
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Turn: (t2750) J
heart.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
River: (t2750) 7
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Total pot: t2750

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When someone is 54/14 They are still only raising 14% of hands... That's the key here for me. It's pretty darn close either way, I think were deep enough to fold, were in pretty good chip position, A10 is borderline, Id shove AJ here.

D

dungz84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should fold here.
As you said it was too early in the game, I would try to steal the blinds and only risk my tournament with a much better hand.
He is next to you so when he folds preflop, which he rarely does as you said, try a raise for the blinds, I know there are some shorstacks in there and you feel the danger of them shoving but you have to try it I believe.
Adjusting according to the table is the most crucial thing and that's what I'd do.
So use your position, try to avoid conflicts with the Big stack without great hands and be patient.
Also about your second question I still believe it's too early to risk your tournament why wouldn't you try a 3x raise.