$2 NLHE STT Turbo: AKo in the blinds early

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT Turbo: AKo in the blinds early

First of all- preflop. I decided to just call because with a raise I would be inflating the pot and was unlikely to get anyone to fold. My friend however, told me I should have raised big and tried to take down the blinds. Is there merit to this play? I felt that if I even got one caller I would then have to cbet/shove flop no matter what fell, putting me in an awkward spot...

Second- I checked the flop because I was fairly confident at least one person would bet and I could check-raise. Unfortunately, no such luck...

River- Looking back, I feel like a check/call is the better play. Only better hands, such as full houses or any 4, would call my river shove. By checking I could induce worse hands to bluff and might even get value from a hand like TT, JJ, AJ etc., as there is no way I'm folding here anyway. Yet another WA/WB scenario.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
Hero (BB) (t1485)
UTG (t1650)
UTG+1 (t1440)
MP1 (t1455)
MP2 (t900)
MP3 (t225)
CO (t1960)
Button (t1655)
SB (t2730)
Hero's M: 19.80
Preflop: Hero is BB with A
heart.gif
, K
spade.gif

3 folds, MP2 bets t150, 2 folds, Button calls t150, 1 fold, Hero calls t100
Flop: (t475) A
diamond.gif
, 5
heart.gif
, 2
heart.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks
Turn: (t475) 3
diamond.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t300, 1 fold, Button calls t300
River: (t1075) A
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t1035 (All-In), 1 fold
Total pot: t1075

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see no reason to check the flop.

I wouldn't raise preflop either. You just missed a bet on the flop.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see no reason to check the flop.

I wouldn't raise preflop either. You just missed a bet on the flop.

Check was to induce a bluff since there were two opponents in and in these $2 sngs players in position fire alot. But looking back I agree with you, with two hearts on the board and a straight draw, the check was foolish.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 tourney, don't think too much about the WA/WB, were never really deep enough to be overly concerned about it, sure there are times where i try to pot control/catch bluffs, but here is a spot where, at 25/50, i like to 3bet/shove flop.

checking the flop is standard, most of the time he cbets we raise and try to get it in.. donk betting here is bad.

but anyway, were roughly always about 30 bb's deep at 25/50 level, so getting it in preflop with AK is something of a necessity, especially at the $2 level.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 tourney, don't think too much about the WA/WB, were never really deep enough to be overly concerned about it, sure there are times where i try to pot control/catch bluffs, but here is a spot where, at 25/50, i like to 3bet/shove flop.

checking the flop is standard, most of the time he cbets we raise and try to get it in.. donk betting here is bad.

but anyway, were roughly always about 30 bb's deep at 25/50 level, so getting it in preflop with AK is something of a necessity, especially at the $2 level.

As played, what are your thoughts on the river?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like either checking to induce bluffs from draws, or betting a small amount on the river, to A. try to get him to shove over us as a bluff B. get paid by 99-Queens. i dont think shoving is great.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be fine with shoving pre-flop, there is a decent amount of money in the pot, and you negate your positional disadvantage. Flatting isn't bad, but it seems a little more passive.

After we flat pre-flop, the problem with checking the flop is that you can't get your stack in very easily by the river, which happened to us here. As played on the river, we could check/call, we could even try a small value bet... As you said, we're pretty much never folding.