$2 NLHE STT: Clear fold from the BTN? AJo facing pf raise

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE STT: Clear fold from the BTN? AJo facing pf raise

So I'm pretty sure this is a fold but I wanted to check with the boards...Is it too early in the SNG to make this call? Especially because if an ace flops then we can't even be sure we are ahead, and are likely to lose our stack against AQ or AK. What if I had AQo in the BTN instead?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 40/80 Blinds (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
SB (t2955)
BB (t1985)
UTG (t1670)
MP1 (t1485)
MP2 (t2890)
CO (t1115)
Hero (Button) (t1400)
Hero's M: 11.67
Preflop: Hero is Button with J
heart.gif
, A
club.gif

2 folds, MP2 bets t240, 1 fold, Hero ?????

john003

john003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a fold here. I refer to AJ or JA as the JackAss hand. I absolutely hate it as it causes more trouble then it's worth.

Basically in my opinion if it was a limped pot or folded to you, this is a must raise. As played, with your chip stack in relevance to his raise, I fold and pick a better spot.

Getting involved in this pot with this hand is a must 2 pair or better flop. Not worth it for this price.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you have any reads of the players? are they tight? loose? look like decent regs? if you can get an approximate range of the opponant then we can make our decision..

against a random here. AJ simply isnt strong enough.. we stil have the blinds to deal with , then the initial raiser.

With AQ again, without reads its kinda hard to figure out the correct play.. but against a random who seems loose. if he opens with stuff like KJ etc, then we can shove it in. against regs who are never really raising light from MP then its a fold.. so really its dependant on the reads you have of their ranges..

Also one more thing.. you shouldnt be thinking of calling here.. you have around 17bb's so calling would be pretty bad.. generally we should be only thinking about 3betting, shoving, or folding in spots like these.. your not deep enough to be able to play postflop. and since they cbet most of their range on most flops, it becomes spewy too..

in future try to get reads of players and post that in the forums too, you will get a much better feedback..

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJo is the ugliest hand in poker. John003, that's the greatest nickname for that hand ever! I will remember that!

My thing is....what do you want to see on the flop? An A? What happens when he potsize bets the flop? Worried now? J hi flop? Better, but does QQ+ or a set scare you away? Just don't think you can be confident in your hand enough to play it properly. If you think the villian sucks, then go for it.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, I'd fold AJ here. AQ might get mucked here too, depending on villain. At least you'd have position.

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you have any reads of the players? are they tight? loose? look like decent regs? if you can get an approximate range of the opponant then we can make our decision..

against a random here. AJ simply isnt strong enough.. we stil have the blinds to deal with , then the initial raiser.

With AQ again, without reads its kinda hard to figure out the correct play.. but against a random who seems loose. if he opens with stuff like KJ etc, then we can shove it in. against regs who are never really raising light from MP then its a fold.. so really its dependant on the reads you have of their ranges..

Also one more thing.. you shouldnt be thinking of calling here.. you have around 17bb's so calling would be pretty bad.. generally we should be only thinking about 3betting, shoving, or folding in spots like these.. your not deep enough to be able to play postflop. and since they cbet most of their range on most flops, it becomes spewy too..

in future try to get reads of players and post that in the forums too, you will get a much better feedback..

Villain was 24/0 for VP and PR, based on 17 hands. Because this is his first PR, I would say that makes this a fold. But what if this happened say, first or second hand of the game? Or 5 hands in? Should I just fold anyway and wait for a better spot?

P.S. forgot to indicate in the original post that this was a Turbo sng, which is why the blinds are what they are after only 17 hands

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But what if this happened say, first or second hand of the game? Or 5 hands in? Should I just fold anyway and wait for a better spot?

Hit the nail right on the head.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, since he is limping 24% he probably doesnt know what hes doing.. BUT its only over 17 hands. so we cant assume too much.. still.. being a low buy in. id jam in AQ but still fold AJ here. AQ is the bottom of my range though. 88+ AQ+

and yes, its an easier fold first or second hand of the game, as the blinds are much less.. i rarely get too involved early with hands like AJ AQ

Folding in Poker