$2 NLHE MTT: Should I have folded?

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious if I should have folded in this spot or not? Very early on in competition (Hand 2 infact) so no reads at all.

Full Tilt - $2+0.20 $2 + $0.20 Tournament (#212359226) - Blinds: 15/30 No Limit Hold'em (8 players)
Full Tilt Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $1410
BB: $1650
UTG: $3470
MP: $1460
MP+1: $1500
MP+2: $1450
CO Hero: $2010
BTN: $1230

Pre-flop: ($45) Hero is CO and dealt :10s4: :qs4:
UTG folds, MP raises $60, MP+1 folds, MP+2 calls $60, Hero calls $60, BTN calls $60, SB folds, BB calls $30

Flop: ($315) :ks4: :9s4: :qh4: (5 players)
BB checks, MP checks, MP+2 bets $90, Hero raises $200, BTN calls $200, BB raises $310, MP folds, MP+2 raises $690, Hero raises $1750 (All-in), BTN calls $970 (All-in), BB calls $1280 (All-in), MP+2 calls $610 (All-in)

Turn: ($6415) :ks4: :9s4: :qh4: :8d4: (4 players)

River: ($6415) :ks4: :9s4: :qh4: :8d4: :jc4: (4 players)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I routinely fold this preflop at this blind level.

Even though that flop hits you pretty hard you still can't be comfortable playing this hand. Only the Js gives you the nuts, your flush and ST8 draws are only for the 2nd best unless the As turns or rivers. Inflating the pot with that min-raise is hugely bad. But the other 3 players in the hand are just as bad also.

I wouldn't be surprised to see AT, JT, 2 pair, a set and a lesser FD from the villains hands here. I'd say at least one of them would have the As.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in order to make deep runs in tournies its hands like these that need to be folded in the beginning levels imo. stick to premium starting hands to build your stack up.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah...I drop this hand pre.

Assuming I made the call though, I make a much bigger raise on the flop. Maybe even just ship it over MP2's bet. Seems spew-y, but you want 1 call at most against which I'm likely a favorite. Maybe going to like...450 would have worked too, then you ship it on the turn (regardless of turn). But basically...once you put chips in with this hand pre and hit that flop you should be going broke almost every time. That flop is like hitting the nuts for your hand. Especially on the 2nd hand of an event where cEV & mEV are very close you should be happy getting it in and hoping to double on that flop.

But again, all that being said I prefer a fold preflop.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree on folding it pre-flop. If I was in early position, sure. If there wasn't that caller, then sure. But assuming I didn't hit that flop (and I'm talking a straight or flush draw minimum) I'm not loosing any more chips on that hand. Compare that to playing KK's, what to do if that Ace comes out? Especially in a $2 tournament where people are more than happy to place Ace-Rags it seems. I felt it was worth it call because if you do hit the flop, you can get paid off at this level.

The raise, yeah it was weak I agree, I actually meant to type in 300 but managed to press the 2 key instead..... It turns out though that I could had gone all in and probably would still have everyone call me behind as everyone got a piece of that flop (trips, low end straight draw and lower flush)

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sometimes folding but don't mind the call preflop either, a decent speculative hand multi way, no 3-bets, not likely dominated unless QJ, idk most other better hands raise, and have position over 3/4 people in the hand, should be able to get away if you miss aswell. Anyways, on this flop, you're not getting away from it and don't want to, with so many players left to act I think you can freely re-ship it in on the flop and hope for just 1 caller or to take it down, like lowfyr said. You're never in bad shape on that flop and early on its a good time to build a large stack. If you lose, fire up another tourney and gogogo

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Once we raise the flop... then it gets 4bet & 5bet... do you think we're 'typically' ever in good shape at that point?
I'm not sure why we're raising like that on the flop here tbh?

Also.. your reasoning behind flatting pre would have some merit if it was a 3,000chipstack tourney but I think flatting here is kinda spewy. In 1500chip micro donkaments I think we're far better off to be looking playing real tight in early levels & when we can.. RAISE preflop.... ie. look for spots to put the pile in over a raise & calling train.. when we have Monsters (you'll be amazed by what you'll still get looked up by and you'll take down all that dead money etc... sure this would be an ideal scenario but honestly this is the sorta shite I'd be looking for in those micro donkaments). Or just fold.. fold.. fold.. 3bet for like 1/3 of your stack & put the pile in on the flop. (I'm actually being serious... 'not' a level)

Last edited:
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you ask if you had played this wrong and the majority had said they would have folded this pre-flop, which is the right advice this early, and then proceed to dismiss the advice given here.
As Patty had said, you are trying to build a large stack and making plays like this will eventually eat your stack more times than not.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in order to make deep runs in tournies its hands like these that need to be folded in the beginning levels imo. stick to premium starting hands to build your stack up.

I think it's the exact opposite.

Eh, I don't agree to people saying fold this pre flop. It's early in the tournament, I know. Don't really have any reads, I get that, but you are getting a little to 2.5 to 1 on the call and you have a pretty good chance of being last to act on the flop.

It's hands like these seeing cheap flops that allow us to build a big stack early. And that's what we want to do in a tourney, is build a stack early!

You're FD isn't that bad either, only someone with a FD and the As has a better FD. Plus the J of spades does give you the nuts.

With that said, I don't think we need to worry about hands like AT, if you actually made a decent raise instead of the worst raise possible, hands like AT can't really continue, due to them having a gutshot with a FD out there. If you are going to raise here, you need to raise a lot more, with the intention of calling a shove or shoving over any weak raise. Your raise should be more like 600. Which will deter the shenanigans that happened behind you in this hand. So we raise if we are playing aggressivly, (and I think we play this hand aggressively the majority of the time) just because we have a huge draw, and it's really hard for a better straight draw to continue and if we are unlucky enough for someone with the nut FD, our pair of Q's should be good, They can't have a pair.

You would think if someone flopped the straight in front of you, they would bet and bet more than a third of the pot. Due to being OOP and needing to protect their hand. See, you're raise makes it hard to put anyone on a hand. It's so small the button can be calling with a FD and possibly AT or AJ. Then the raise from the BB makes no sense, if he did check the straight, he should defiantly jam here and he doesn't. If MP+2 actually made a less than 1/3 bet on the flop with the straight, you would really think he's jamming. So, the only one that makes sense having the straight could possibly be the button getting greedy and slow playing on a very scary board to slow play. That's if anyone flopped the straight at all. Which I really don't think so.

I actually have no clue what anyone can have here, just cause the hand is played so terribly, by anyone that could actually have a hand. MP+2 just calls the opening raise pre flop, then bets less than a third of the pot on the flop. Then you make a half pot raise, which is cold called by the button, which is then cold half pot three bet by the BB, which is then half pot four bet by MP+2 and finally five bet shoved by you, which is then called by everyone. LOL!!!

So what can anyone have that makes sense? FD worse than yours, over played TP hands and two pair hands. I really think an A high flush draw is out. I guess it comes down to the button. He can have the A high FD, that would make sense. I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. lol. I'm done, crazy things go on in $2 tournaments.

So to summarize, calling pre flop is fine. The raise is fine but needs to be bigger and getting it all in here is also fine due to it being hard for the bigger straight draw to call here, if someone is on the A high FD, your pair is good and a straight is pretty unlikely from the players in front of you and if someone behind has it (which is slim cause he's calling with a wide range due to getting over three to one and being on the button), you are drawing to a flush and the nut straight flush. So to summarize my summary, LOL. It all comes down to your raise on the flop, it needs to be bigger.

Last edited:
takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once we raise the flop... then it gets 4bet & 5bet... do you think we're 'typically' ever in good shape at that point?
I'm not sure why we're raising like that on the flop here tbh?

Well thats what I was wondering. My understanding is in that situation I'm only a significant underdog to a higher flush which is possible of course, but I would think unlikely. Against trips or a ready made straight it was about even money, at least thats what my 30 seconds of desperately trying to crunch numbers at the time gave me that conclusion. So I thought I was in reasonable shape at that point, but I may not had been which is why I asked if I should had folded....

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you ask if you had played this wrong and the majority had said they would have folded this pre-flop, which is the right advice this early, and then proceed to dismiss the advice given here.
As Patty had said, you are trying to build a large stack and making plays like this will eventually eat your stack more times than not.

I asked for advice and I am grateful for all replies. Personally I do not think it is bad play calling in the cut-off position with a hand with decent post flop potential when there are 2 or more people in the pot. I don't play a lot of pots in the early stages for the record, I am more than happy to lay down AJ under the gun for example, but sometimes the stars align and I play a speculative hand. If we never played speculative hands in early on in the tournament, our play becomes far too predictable IMO. I have agreed with the advice people have given about my post flop play and I will raise stronger in the future. I am not going to agree or disagree with everything people say on this forum, but I will take all advice on board.

Last edited:
ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Eh, I don't agree to people saying fold this pre flop. It's early in the tournament, I know. Don't really have any reads, I get that, but you are getting a little to 2.5 to 1 on the call and you have a pretty good chance of being last to act on the flop.

It's hands like these seeing cheap flops that allow us to build a big stack early. And that's what we want to do in a tourney, is build a stack early!

You're FD isn't that bad either, only someone with a FD and the As has a better FD. Plus the J of spades does give you the nuts.

With that said, I don't think we need to worry about hands like AT, if you actually made a decent raise instead of the worst raise possible, hands like AT can't really continue, due to them having a gutshot with a FD out there. If you are going to raise here, you need to raise a lot more, with the intention of calling a shove or shoving over any weak raise. Your raise should be more like 600. Which will deter the shenanigans that happened behind you in this hand. So we raise if we are playing aggressivly, (and I think we play this hand aggressively the majority of the time) just because we have a huge draw, and it's really hard for a better straight draw to continue and if we are unlucky enough for someone with the nut FD, our pair of Q's should be good, They can't have a pair.

You would think if someone flopped the straight in front of you, they would bet and bet more than a third of the pot. Due to being OOP and needing to protect their hand. See, you're raise makes it hard to put anyone on a hand. It's so small the button can be calling with a FD and possibly AT or AJ. Then the raise from the BB makes no sense, if he did check the straight, he should defiantly jam here and he doesn't. If MP+2 actually made a less than 1/3 bet on the flop with the straight, you would really think he's jamming. So, the only one that makes sense having the straight could possibly be the button getting greedy and slow playing on a very scary board to slow play. That's if anyone flopped the straight at all. Which I really don't think so.

I actually have no clue what anyone can have here, just cause the hand is played so terribly, by anyone that could actually have a hand. MP+2 just calls the opening raise pre flop, then bets less than a third of the pot on the flop. Then you make a half pot raise, which is cold called by the button, which is then cold half pot three bet by the BB, which is then half pot four bet by MP+2 and finally five bet shoved by you, which is then called by everyone. LOL!!!

So what can anyone have that makes sense? FD worse than yours, over played TP hands and two pair hands. I really think an A high flush draw is out. I guess it comes down to the button. He can have the A high FD, that would make sense. I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. lol. I'm done, crazy things go on in $2 tournaments.

So to summarize, calling pre flop is fine. The raise is fine but needs to be bigger and getting it all in here is also fine due to it being hard for the bigger straight draw to call here, if someone is on the A high FD, your pair is good and a straight is pretty unlikely from the players in front of you and if someone behind has it (which is slim cause he's calling with a wide range due to getting over three to one and being on the button), you are drawing to a flush and the nut straight flush. So to summarize my summary, LOL. It all comes down to your raise on the flop, it needs to be bigger.
I am 100% with this analysis and I also think if you raise bigger on the flop you can a)thin the field and b) try and induce a shove from a worse hand, not gonna be THAT much behind anything and there's a lot in the pot. It's spots like these we can look for to build a huge stack early on

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Wow, thank-you for your in-depth analysis! Your thinking makes a lot of sense to me and gave me new insight into the hand.

takethepain

takethepain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and just for your sanity, Everyone who went all-in had something to go all in on

BB had trip 9's
MP+2 had J 10 and the straight
Button had a low flush like 73 or something

P

pol_92121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you made a god choice to raise after the flop but when someone re-raise you absolutly had to fold...you should think what hand you beat.... with so much raise and re raise it's impossible that 3 players are bluffing...someone can have the king or someone can have the queen with a better kiker than yours...

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad this worked out for you, but I fold that hand pre-flop, at least early on. I understand the reasoning behind splashing around with a nice suited gapper, given your position and stack size. I just hate playing hard hands with little information on my opponents, and that flop makes this a VERY hard hand. There just aren't many flops that make it an easy hand to play.

Post-flop I'm out the door when that 3 bet hits. Way too many river cards that leave you wondering where your 75% of your stack went.

beeDEE

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to fuel discussion...is there merit to a light squeeze preflop? I mean...set your hand up for a Go and Go basically, pop it to 350-400 and shove like...any flop?

I actually am altering my "lay it down pre" advice...seeing as this is an MTT. In an STT it's a fold...in an MTT it's more reasonable to peel for a flop (or take the aggressive line and squeeze!).

My "on the flop" advice remains the same though. If you speculate with this kind of hand you go broke on that kind of flop with it, pretty much just that simple.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh and just for your sanity, Everyone who went all-in had something to go all in on

BB had trip 9's
MP+2 had J 10 and the straight
Button had a low flush like 73 or something

$2donkament, this ^ makes sense to me.... a bunch of small re-raises on the flop.
I was 'guessing' (although almost absurd to even guess imo... ), players not raising enough postflop & with possible KQ in there & set
So we get it in w ~30% equity.

Folding in Poker