$2 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Played this the wrong way or a cooler?

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Stars - $2.00+0.20 Tournament (#333187423) - Blinds: 1250/2500 No Limit Hold'em (8 players)
Poker Stars Hand History Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $127490.00
BB Hero: $86909.00
UTG: $147855.00
MP: $17743.00
MP+1: $30572.00
MP+2: $54790.00
CO: $63834.00
BTN: $40615.00

Pre-flop: ($3750.00) Hero is BB and dealt :10h4: :qs4:
UTG calls $2500.00, 4 folds, BTN calls $2500.00, SB folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($8750.00) :10c4: :9d4: :qc4: (3 players)
Hero bets $5000.00, UTG folds, BTN calls $5000.00

Turn: ($18750.00) :10c4: :9d4: :qc4: :4c4: (2 players)
Hero bets $7500.00, BTN calls $7500.00

River: ($33750.00) :10c4: :9d4: :qc4: :4c4: :3h4: (2 players)
Hero bets $15000.00, BTN raises to $25305.00, Hero calls $10305.00

MrEpic94

MrEpic94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJ right?

I like the bet at the flop but would be shutting down on the turn and just checking the turn and river and calling a small bet on river(folding to a large bet).

On the flop we have a strong enough hand and enough draws out there that we need to tax them. When the flush fills up on the turn I want to get to show down as lightly as possible as our hand has alot of show down equity but is not a strong enough hand to beat our opponents all in range after the turn hits. Sets/flushes/straights all beat you and these hands will make up the largest portion of all his hands. THe only time we get all the chips in as a favourite is when villian is bluffing.

As played got to call the river raise, as you have pot commited yourself with a 15k bet on the river. A better move on the river as played would be to shove, this would give you more fold equity as he would be required to call off his tournament life rather than give him what he thinks is fold equity by letting him raise 10k into a 75k pot.

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My fault I should have qualified this more. He had KJs making both the straight on the flop and the flush on the turn. He had been pretty loose calling people down with low pocket pairs and playing subpar hands. I didnt expect him to limp with a hand like KJs from the button. I expected Q9 or Q8 or some medium pair. Thanks for the input.

MrEpic94

MrEpic94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why would you expect him to limp Q9 but not limp KJ? Raising with KJ would have put himself in an awkward spot on the flop due to pot to stack ratio pretty much commiting him if he hit TP, which would most likely be seccond best if anyone wanted to get all the chips in. Personally I like the limp on the button as it allows him to play his marginal hand like sc's and see a cheap flop without getting pot commited to what is a marginal hand

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were not given a reason not to bet. So you bet, seems ok to me.

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure why you would be limping from button with a hand like that. Steals are fairly important at this point in the game. Limping from button with hands like this makes little sense to me with BB at 2.5k.

MrEpic94

MrEpic94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure why you would be limping from button with a hand like that. Steals are fairly important at this point in the game. Limping from button with hands like this makes little sense to me with BB at 2.5k.

the value of KJ in a raised pot when the EP limper calls is, at this stage in the tourney, not that great as generally we will be making seccond best hands. Only a small percentage of the time does KJ flop a monster. My stealin range would be more polarized in this situation because of the limper, as when he calls our range we want either a huge hand to start with or something that is easy to get away from post when we dont hit a monster.

Sure when it is folded to you OTB, raising KJ is fine IMO, but limpers change everything.

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough. I would prefer betting 4x the BB to push out the limper to limping myself even with a hand like KJs if I have some stats to look at on the limper. Maybe thats another leak in my game.

ManicLombax

ManicLombax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you strayt, I'd definitely raise KJs from the button. Personally I think limping a hand that strong on the button is way too weak/tight. You have a playable hand if you get called, but you're happy to take down the blinds and antes. That said, I wouldn't take KJ out of his range just because he didn't raise.

As far as the hand goes, I agree definitely bet the flop with top 2, but then slow down on later streets. I may throw out a second bet on the turn if the flush doesn't come in, but in this case I'd just check and call a small bet, trying to get to showdown cheaply. I don't want to be getting all my chips in here with the board as scary as it is.