$2 NLHE: Was this the correct fold?

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE: Was this the correct fold?

Apologies for not using a hand converter. I recieved th error "invalid format". Please bear with me.

I'll try my best to summarize this.

JEP712 DEALT [Ac][Ks]
JEP712 (Middle Position): Raise to 90
mberry103 (Late Position): Calls 90
paulie s1 (BB): Calls 60

FLOP:[7d] [Ah] [2c]

paulie s1: Bets 285
JEP712: Raise 570
mberry103: Calls 570
paulie s1: Calls remaining

TURN: [Qs]

paulie s1: Checks
JEP712: Checks
mberry103: Bets 630
paulie s1: Calls
JEP712: Fold

RIVER: [6c]

paulie s1: Checks
mberry103: ALL IN
paulie s1: Fold

Something about mberry103's hand screams a set to me. He probably called the preflop bet with a pocket pair and hit his set on the flop. When I reraised paulie s1, mberry103 just flat called because he would want paulie still in the hand. After we both checked, he made a 1/3 - 1/2 pot bet to try to get more money in it. I figure top pair is no good here so I muck. Your expertise please.

Below is the actually dealer summary:

Dealer: Hand #19796029865
Dealer: Brahma1 posts the small blind of 15
Dealer: paulie s1 posts the big blind of 30
Dealer: You have been dealt [Ac Ks]
Dealer: dtaftp folds
Dealer: teebitz folds
Dealer: Katapin folds
Dealer: JEP712 raises to 90
Dealer: Fro0sh folds
Dealer: mberry103 calls 90
Dealer: Brahma1 folds
Dealer: paulie s1 calls 60
Dealer: The flop is [7d Ah 2c]
Dealer: paulie s1 bets 285
Dealer: JEP712 raises to 570
Dealer: mberry103 calls 570
Dealer: paulie s1 calls 285
Dealer: The turn is [Qs]
Dealer: paulie s1 checks
Dealer: JEP712 checks
Dealer: mberry103 bets 630
Dealer: Fro0sh is sitting out
Dealer: paulie s1 calls 630
Dealer: JEP712 folds
Dealer: The river is [6c]
Dealer: paulie s1 checks
Dealer: mberry103 bets 1,025, and is all in
Dealer: paulie s1 folds
Dealer: Uncalled bet of 1,025 returned to mberry103
Dealer: mberry103 mucks
Dealer: mberry103 wins the pot (3,255)

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the stack sizes?

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all had roughly the same stack sizes. About 1300-1700. I had 1700.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, will try to analyze now.

Pre-flop is fine, min-raise on flop is pretty silly. I mean, stack sizes are pretty awkward, but still, the min-raise doesn't really accomplish anything, honestly I might just go all-in after the donk bet. As played, the board is about as dry as it can get, so villain's range is pretty narrow, just 22/77/AT+ basically (AA is unlikely due to combinatorics, plus it probably would have been 3-bet pre). Whether I'd ship or fold would depend on any read I may have, against a random I'm probably not folding with so much of my stack already in the pot.

Then again, it's still pretty early in the tourney, so it may not be that terrible just to wait for a better spot.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, will try to analyze now.

Pre-flop is fine, min-raise on flop is pretty silly. I mean, stack sizes are pretty awkward, but still, the min-raise doesn't really accomplish anything, honestly I might just go all-in after the donk bet. As played, the board is about as dry as it can get, so villain's range is pretty narrow, just 22/77/AT+ basically (AA is unlikely due to combinatorics, plus it probably would have been 3-bet pre). Whether I'd ship or fold would depend on any read I may have, against a random I'm probably not folding with so much of my stack already in the pot.

Then again, it's still pretty early in the tourney, so it may not be that terrible just to wait for a better spot.

The reason for the min raise is that the same guy would always do a small continuation bet, and a couple of times when others min reraise him back, he would fold. So that was a read I guess. Thanks for the analyzation!

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason for the min raise is that the same guy would always do a small continuation bet, and a couple of times when others min reraise him back, he would fold. So that was a read I guess. Thanks for the analyzation!

Okay that makes more sense. fwiw though his bet is not a c-bet, since you had the initiative, it's a donk bet :p

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay that makes more sense. fwiw though his bet is not a c-bet, since you had the initiative, it's a donk bet :p

Yeah, but doesn't the call from the other guy scream set or 2 pair!? I am so sure he had a set!

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, but doesn't the call from the other guy scream set or 2 pair!? I am so sure he had a set!

It depends on the player. I did forget to include A7/A2 in his range, although those are slightly less likely, since most would fold those cards to a raise. But yeah, if you feel confident in your read, then it was probably good to just give it up and look to survive the early stages.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the all in on the flop. A 3x call from the button and from the bb are more times than not at the 2 dollar level are loose passive calls with easily dominated hands that should rarely call a raise with (weak aces kj etc etc.). Can't be allow the table to think they can easily push you off hands when you raise preflop. People will be floating the flop then attempting to take the pot away from you like crazy after this. Push and make the table believe they will be risking their stack against a premium hand every time they get in a pot with you.

Folding in Poker