$2 NLHE: $2 NLHE: Should I bet bigger preflop? Postflop? Fold?

Smotpoker

Smotpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NL HE: $2 NL HE: Should I bet bigger preflop? Postflop? Fold?

Stacks:
* BB with 5310
* UTG with 6628
* MP1 with 23097
* MP2 with 3996 <----me
* _Militum_ with 12667
* BTN with 1879
* SB with 11702

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
* * Dealt to MP2:A♦ 8♦
* * Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
* * UTG calls [200]
* * 1 players fold.
Hero raises to 400
* * 4 players fold.
* * UTG calls [200]
* * Total folds this street: 5
* * Potsize: 1100
Flop: 6♥ J♥ A♣
* * UTG bets [400] Hero raises to 1,000
* * UTG calls [600]
* * Potsize: 3100
Turn: A♥
* * UTG checks Hero bets [2,596, and is all in]

The results have been hidden.

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Villian just limped in preflop so I put him on either Ace/weak kicker like me or something even worse. Flop comes and I pair my ace and villian min bets. I thought reraising $600 more would knock off any draws.

I guess maybe I got too excited when the turn came up another Ace. I figured there's only 4 in the deck and the villians postflop bet didn't say Ace to me.

How should I have played this?

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You only have 20 big blinds, so folding preflop would have been your best option. If you're going to stick around, why minraise for 1/10th of your stack? A bigger raise (to 750 or so) would have been better because you could have won the hand right there, or at least helped define your opponent's hand a little more. But still, folding would have been best.

Postflop, I would have either just called on the flop (preferable with such a weak hand) or raised bigger. Your raise there isn't much more than a minraise and doesn't get you any information because he's calling almost always. Then check behind on the turn. If you get a call on the flop he likes his hand, and on the turn either he still has an ace that may be better than yours, or he hit his flush draw/full house. What could he have that you're beating? Probably only A2, A3, A4, A5, and A7. Is he the type of player who would have limped with one of those in early position, and bet out with it on the flop?

That's the danger of playing junky aces just because they're suited. It's rare that you'll flop a flush or good draw, and when you don't you stand to lose a lot of money with top pair. If you can't let it go preflop, slow way down postflop.

Smotpoker

Smotpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the insight.

Villian had Q8 hearts, got his flush on the turn.

I think if I had pushed postflop I could have taken it down.

Like you said I shouldn't have been in the hand to begin with, I was card dead and the blinds were getting expensive so I was trying to loosen up. I probably would've played A7o as well, being suited didn't have much to do with it.

I lose patience too easy, probably can be considered tilt although its not based on anger or emotions..unless boredom is an emotion ;)

Folding in Poker