$2 HU shootout - weird river shove?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Final table of a four-way HU shootout. One of us gets paid, the other gets nothing. This second match has been going for a while now, villain started out very aggro but then changed gears, he's been timid for the past few levels. I've been winning a lot of pots with pre-flop raises and he's not been giving me a lot of action. The occasions where I've been re-raised I've been throwing the hand away, in the hope of encouraging some action on an occasion when I do have a hand.

Which brings us to this hand - we improve slightly on the river, and villain shoves over the top of us. Is this the action I've been hoping for, or is it a slow played monster? What on earth can villain be holding here, do we call or fold, and why?

full tilt poker Game #7282312805: $2 + $0.20 Heads Up Shootout (55370852), Table 1 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:51:48 ET - 2008/07/19
Seat 1: OzExorcist (4,215)
Seat 2: cricket733 (1,785)
cricket733 posts the small blind of 30
OzExorcist posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to OzExorcist [Kc Ts]
cricket733 raises to 120
OzExorcist calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Jh 6c Js]
OzExorcist checks
cricket733 checks
*** TURN *** [Jh 6c Js] [Qd]
OzExorcist checks
cricket733 checks
*** RIVER *** [Jh 6c Js Qd] [Tc]
OzExorcist bets 200
cricket733 raises to 1,665, and is all in
OzExorcist... ?

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really can't understand what's so hard here....What can you beat..10 9? I think a call here would be pretty bad.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold here.
You had been quite aggressive and villian picked up on this, slowed down to wait for the opportunity for you to bet and then push.
I would have done the same thing.
I would say that he just may have AK.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with not be able to call this, you can only beat a bluff and why would he randomly pull off a bluff here with hardly any money invested. This is most likely a straight

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, obv not as interesting as I thought. I agree it's a fold, and that's what I did.

I've seen people show down all sorts of weird stuff in these spots playing heads up, and it'll be a bluff / semibluff more often than you think.

Worse tens, A6, ace-high and completely naked bluffs are possible as they'll figure anything less than trips will have to fold: and I have been folding when I've been re-raised, so villain knows I can get away from a marginal hand. FWIW, I don't think this is a solo queen either - a queen probably would've bet the turn. Which means there's only really a couple of hands that beat us.

It might be a better ten, but I think that hand probably just calls and shows down, as they have to be worried that I've slow-played a jack. Which means really, villain is either holding a jack for flopped trips (and maybe now a boat), AK for the straight, or is running a bluff on us.

I figure the chances that it's a bluff are reasonable, but not enough to justify a call - the biggest factor in my decision is actually stack sizes: if I call and lose, I'm also giving up the chip lead and that's not something I like doing HU.

Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, IDK :p