$2.25 NLHE STT: 3rd hand, hit set on turn, facing AI river bet.

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3rd hand of the tourney, so i had no information on these players. What is my move? Did I play this wrong? Bigger bet on the turn perhaps?

Full Tilt - $15.00/$30.00 No Limit Hold'em (9 players)
Full Tilt Hand History Converter Tool from CardsChat.com
SB: $1470.00
BB: $1470.00
UTG: $1425.00
MP: $1500.00
MP+1: $1500.00
MP+2: $1605.00
LP: $1620.00
CO: $1485.00
BTN Hero: $1425.00
Pre-flop: ($45.00) Hero is BTN and dealt :6h4: :6c4:

3 folds, MP+2 calls $30.00, 2 folds, Hero calls $30.00, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: ($105.00) :jc4: :kc4: :9d4: (3 players)

BB checks, MP+2 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($105.00) :jc4: :kc4: :9d4: :6d4: (3 players)

BB bets $60.00, MP+2 calls $60.00, Hero raises to $180.00, BB calls $120.00, MP+2 calls $120.00

River: ($645.00) :jc4: :kc4: :9d4: :6d4: :ad4: (3 players)

BB checks, MP+2 bets $1395.00 (All-in) ...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pop the turn more, with ~ 220 in the pot, i'd pop it to about 250-290 here. and whatever you do on the river don't fold, it sucks and we're definitely behind a lot of the time, but folding when spazzes here have two pair hands a decent chunk of the time is. Keep in mind that the straight was already present, so that ace isn't the worst card, though the backdoor flush is a big possibility. So if he has a QT straight, he outflopped us anyway.

But i think they definitely wake up with AK A9 type hands enough to justify calling this. And i can never really find many valid spots to be able to fold sets in these games.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea ive run into these exact spots quite a few times in this micro SNG's. Very tough to get rid of a set here when like wizzim said, villain is just to likely to have 2 pair. Although i find a lot of the times villain wakes up with the backdoor flush in these spots. But still don't think it warrants a fold, after all we are playing the pp to hit a set (would just be nicer if the board was not so scary, haha).

I think the only thing that gets us away from this hand is the fact that it is early in the SNG and doubling up this early does not give us any better of a chance for ITM and 1st place. So hitting a set on such a scary board facing a spazz shove could be a fold. but i could be completely wrong in everything i said.

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes exactly, the only reason I did in fact fold this hand was because of just how early on it was. I didn't want to fold, but just couldn't bring myself to take the risk. As it happened, villain and I went on to take 1st and 2nd respectively, so probably a good decision in hindsight.. even though I might have had a better chance of winning with the early double up!

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure I agree with "folding because it's early", there's actually less ICM tax early on, so if you get the opportunity to tangle with a bad player for a double up I definitely think I would take it.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but are you really calling on a board that looks like that especially 3 way. What are the BB and MP2 checking flop, then bet/calling the turn. Then MP2 shoves the river when were still to act behind him. It could be an A9 A6 type hand but how often does he do this with those hands and how often does he do that with the flush. Its a tough spot for sure. But yea i guess if there is a chance to gamble with a bad player id rather do it early cause if im wrong i just fire up another SNG.

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure I agree with "folding because it's early", there's actually less ICM tax early on, so if you get the opportunity to tangle with a bad player for a double up I definitely think I would take it.

Yes but I had no idea whether he was a bad player or not.. had they raised on the turn I'd have shoved back. It just seemed a little too risky, as Clambake said, because of the way they were happy to check/bet to the river.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands