$2.25 NLHE STT: $2+0.25 NLHE STT: $2+0.25 NLHE STT: Playing AK suited UTG

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need some help with this type of hand. Im never that sure how aggressively I should play it, im not really sure how much I should be betting with these hands when OOP and if/when I should get all my chips in the middle. How would you play this hand in this situation? I mainly would like some advise on bet sizing as ive no idea whether im betting to much or too little.

I didnt have any paticular read on the villian as it was still very early in the tournament.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
Button (t1605)
SB (t1375)
BB (t2235)
Hero (UTG) (t2250)
MP (t1535)
Hero's M: 37.50
Preflop: Hero is UTG with A
spade.gif
, K
spade.gif

Hero bets t120, 3 folds, BB calls t80
Flop: (t260) 10
spade.gif
, 3
club.gif
, K
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t160, BB calls t160
Turn: (t580) K
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t280, BB calls t280
River: (t1140) 9
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t560, Hero raises to t1690 (All-In), BB calls t1115 (All-In)
Total pot: t4490

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine to me. The only difference is I might bet bigger on the flop and turn in order to set up a pot-sized shove on the river.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine to me. The only difference is I might bet bigger on the flop and turn in order to set up a pot-sized shove on the river.

OK thanks, so would a pot sized bet on the turn and river be better?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well look at it this way, if we bet t200 into t260 on the flop and he calls, the pot is now t660 and we have t1930 behind. Then if we fire ~t500 on the turn, we have t1430 left and the pot is now t1660. That makes for a great bet size on the river where we can just shove.

So your bet sizes are cumulative in a way, if that makes sense.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is fine to be raising UTG. 3BB in an early level is fine.

Once we've flopped TPTK (especially in a $2 game) just keep betting it for value unless you get some major resistance. I agree with cj, size your bets so that it's easier to get stacks in by the river. I probably make it 200 on the flop and then bet slightly under the pot on the turn then shove the river. Once we catch trips with top kicker we're definitely betting for as much value as we can get and if anyone's caught a boat so be it.

The idea is that you want to build a pot slightly bigger than your remaining stack on the river so you can get all in and have a reasonable chance of being called.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only though process required in these spots is, "how do i get the money in by the river".

That has been answered by ^^^^

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also with flush and straight draws on the board I would like to bet enough to punish villain for chasing as far as the river goes I personally am just flatting here as the river is pretty scary. Does this make me too passive?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also with flush and straight draws on the board I would like to bet enough to punish villain for chasing as far as the river goes I personally am just flatting here as the river is pretty scary. Does this make me too passive?

Flushes have all missed, the only draw that hits on the river (aside from boats) is QJ and while it's possible that somebody has called down the whole way with that, if I remember the $2s right there are also a ton of other worse hands call down as well and will pay us off.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with Wizzim and Oz on this one. Sure I'd be concerned by trip 3's or 10's but at this level I've seen people get it in with far less - far more likely is KQ or KJ or 10 9.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea I get this but the thing is this line, check/call the flop, check/call the turn, then lead out on the river to me says one of two things.

We are beat or villain missed his draw. If its the former we save our tourney by flatting, If its the latter we arent having our shove called anyway.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost this hand as villian had full house 3's and kings. Although the outcome wasnt the reason I posted as i'm not going to fold this hand often(if ever) at $2. I'm going to be posting more hands here in the coming weeks, as ill be playing more. I need help improving my game as i'm sure I have a lot of leaks, im far from a winning player. Thanks for your replys.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea I get this but the thing is this line, check/call the flop, check/call the turn, then lead out on the river to me says one of two things.

We are beat or villain missed his draw. If its the former we save our tourney by flatting, If its the latter we arent having our shove called anyway.

Except at the $2 level you will have loads of Tx/9x/Kx players doing the same thing, enough so that long term you will be losing value by not shoving here as a large portion of them will call.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guess I will have to defer to you guys who have more experience at this level (although I cant Imagine its much difference than the $3 dollars on ps).

Its hard for me to believe that Kx/Tx/9x hands are showing up often enough here. I mean KQ or KJ almost certainly check/raising the flop. Tx probably check/calls the river if he c/c the flop and turn. T9 here makes sense but thats one hand whereas TT,33,K10, and QJ all make sense and those hands have us beat.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FWIW I can see a lot of Kx hands check-calling that flop and once Kx hits trips it makes perfect sense for it to get slowplayed to the river. Tx and 9x are less likely but still possible if they figure us for something like ace high or our own busted draw, or if they're just calling down then betting the river because LOL they have a pair.

Yes we could flat and save ourselves a little bit of money against boats but we lose value against the non-boat Kx hands and any other random stuff that villain may feel pot committed to pay us off with here.