* CO with 1815
* BTN with 2900
* SB with 2865
* BB with 3000
* UTG with 2905
* UTG+1 with 3330
* MP1 with 5790
* MP2 with 10245

It's pretty early in a double stack tourney and I don't have reads on any of the players. Here's how the hand started. I (Hero) am in the SB.

Preflop:
* * UTG raises to 80
* * UTG+1 calls [80]
* * MP1 calls [80]
* * 1 players fold.
* * MP3 calls [80]
* * 2 players fold.

Me ???

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whats the blinds 20/40? with 4 players limping in for 2 BBs I would take a pot sized raise. if you call, you are out of position and up against 4 opponents. you need to try and limit the number of hands you are up against with AK remember best is dominated card or 50-50 coin flip against pocket queens or lower, and worst is he took a minimum raise with pocket aces

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling is not an option here. Either re-raise to represent a big hand and it may get some players to fold. Or, you could fold since this hand could get even more ugly. Persoanlly, I'd reraise with no reads to go by.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise it to 400 here or fold. Whether you c-bet or not on the flop will depend on the flop.

X

xinsomniacboix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so it seems like I didn't make any mistakes preflop so far.

Hero
raises to 400
BB calls [360]
UTG calls [320]
3 players folded.
Total folds this street: 6
Potsize: 1440

At this point, I was fairly unhappy, but I was fairly certain I had the best hand, since BB should have reraised with a pair, and UTG's min raise was probably not to intice a reraise since he had the chance to shove with two players calling a lot of chips already. So going into the flop, I was fairly certain I could c bet it.

Flop:
10♣ 9♣ 2♦
Hero bets [700]
3 players fold.
BB calls [700]
1 players folded.
Total folds this street: 1
Potsize: 2840

Standard c bet, I'm kind of confused about what he has at this point. It seems like a large bet to call with a flush draw or straight draw. QJs or I guess a set kind of makes sense.
Turn:
2♣
Hero checks
BB bets [840]

I kind of felt like he was taking advantage of my weakness here, and I felt like he wouldn't have bet immediately after hitting the flush. A set probably would have slowed down too since if I hit the flush, he was screwed anyways, and he couldn't be sure if I would call anything on the turn. What do you guys do here? I'm getting 4.38:1 pot odds at this point.

X

xinsomniacboix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero calls [840]
Potsize: 4520
River:
Q♥
Hero checks
BB bets [520]
1 players fold.
Uncalled bet of 520 returned to BB
BB shows :
K♥ J♥
BB wins the pot (4,520)
Total folds this street: 1

So following my reasoning above, I called on the turn, figuring I'd be good if I hit an A or a K. He turned out to have a ridiculous gutshot, which puzzled me. But I'm just wondering, if in general, this kind of play falls into the category of wishful thinking?

V

vpb0i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise to 480, call a push, cause since your short stack AK ususally the time to ship it and try to get a doublt up.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you need to shove either on the flop or on the turn. If you thought he was trying to take advantage of you (which he did on the turn) and you thought he was weak, then a shove on the turn would be the right move to push him off a draw despite a bad straight draw.

B

Bobmurphy07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With no reads I probably go with making a decent sized raise here.

X

xinsomniacboix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, makes sense, thanks guys

L

lewis010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just make a decent raise, idk maybe if you are not sure about the other hands you should raise to 200-300 and see what happens... ak is a very good hand and a 2 bet raise is nothing (thats the reason of why there are many players in the hand)
calling or folding arent the correct options here IMO

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His call preflop and on the flop were horrible! In a low stakes mtt it doesn't surprise me. He called a raise and reraise preflop with that garbage, yuck! On the turn I would've either folded or did a big check raise. My guess, besides he's a donk, is he may have put you on a cbet on the flop and was hoping to buy the pot from you.

F

FlexNYC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand fairly well up until the turn. Checking on the turn is what did you in IMO. You displayed not just weakness--you were essentially waving a white flag and telling him: please take the pot from me. He sensed your weakness and took advantage of you. At that point, you should have cut your losses early and not called on the turn--talk about throwing in good money after bad.

The guy is obv a donk and got lucky on the river but there's no way he would have called a strong solid bet on the turn. He interpreted your bet on the flop as a standard continuation bet (which it was) and then realized he had you when you checked on the turn. Firing off a bet on the turn tells him: look my bet on the flop wasn't a c-bet-> I actually have a hand here so you better back off.

IMO he would have folded on the turn with another bet. 1. He sees flush cards on the board and potentially trips. I think you could have even gotten away with a shove on the turn here because AK is a fine hand here (in fact you actually had him dominated until the river).

You showed strength pre-flop & on the flop which was solid; checking on the turn did you in.

Another weapon you could have deployed and gotten a little more money out of him is a check-raise all-in on the turn. You were strong, pre-flop on the flop and did a check-raise on the turn; You see flush, trips & even full house cards on the board: unless the guy is a total loser he would fold and you've taken down as much as you can from this pot!

GL next time.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands