$2.20 NLHE Turbo: my usual blowup in MTT

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.20 NL HE Turbo: my usual blowup in MTT

Generally i do something really stupid in a MTT sometimes it works out great sometimes it ends my tournament.. heres a spot where i need not get involved.. but somehow i turned what should have been a small pot into a big one :D....

Now the villain i was up against i had about 150 hmads on.. i know hes a thinking player.. but he isnt that great.. i knew he was capable of folding big pairs postflop..

hed been limping in the sb a lot. and id mostly been raising him.. done it like 6 times in the one tournament.. i expected him to either play back at me or wake up with a hand to play back at me with either way i think i played it ok.. but really risky.. i had a decent read.. was wondering what you guys think..

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

poker stars, $2.20 Buy-in (100/200 blinds, 25 ante) NL Hold'em Tourney, 6 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

BTN: 31,674 (158.4 bb)
SB: 15,130 (75.7 bb)
Hero (BB): 13,721 (68.6 bb)
UTG: 6,750 (33.8 bb)
MP: 1,880 (9.4 bb)
CO: 5,485 (27.4 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BB with 2
diamond.gif
A
diamond.gif

4 folds, SB completes, Hero raises to 550, SB raises to 900, Hero calls 350

Flop: (1,950) 9
heart.gif
heart.gif
J
club.gif
(2 players)
SB bets 600, Hero raises to 2,000, SB calls 1,400

Turn: (5,950) 7
club.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 3,200, SB calls 3,200

River: (12,350) 3
heart.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 7,596 and is all-in

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he certainly woke up with a hand here. He reraised you preflop, called your big reraise on the flop and your bet on the turn. He could have had any 3,7,8,9,10,J, any pocket pair, 2 hearts, or a big ace.I think he had you beat for sure, and was letting you bet into him. I don't think he's floating you with air here, so I would have maybe checked the turn to see what he done on the river and then let it go. Just my opinion, don't know if its right.

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh completely agree with you, it looks like aces pre, but then he could easily have a set or 1010

Easy fold, try not to get involved with hands like A2 OP, you lost the maximum in this hand by trying to make a play on a ridiculously drawy board.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
who said i lost? and im in position.. and the drawy board is the only reason i made the play... and my hand makes no differance here..

oh and saying fold pre is about what i expected from this.. so thanks a lot.. your help will be invaluable to my MTT experiecne and i wish you could hear the sarcasm in my voice..

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the outcome of the hand then?
My post was based on the fact that I didn't think he would call you down every street with nothing.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
allow me to answer your question with some questions

- what are you repping on the flop? turn? river?

- what are you hoping villain will have that he's called flop or turn with but will fold river with? how much of villain's total range of hands does his 'river folding range' constitute? do you still think shoving the river is sensible given your answers to these questions?

- why do you say the drawy board is the only reason you made the play when a heck of a lot of villain's flop bet/calling range is made up of draws?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind aggression vs. a loose SB but I'd rather do it with hands that are more playable postflop.

Postflop is rather meh, once he calls you on the flop FFS slow down on the turn, you're headed for stack-off territory with A high.

As played I don't think shoving the river is terrible but you get snapped off here by any half-thinking player, and quite a few non-thinking players as well -- the line as a whole doesn't make sense and he'll show up with nut-range hands here a lot.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok thanks.. this is gonna sound bad.. but i tend to experiment with stupid things on small buy in MTT... again im quite aware that it was a stupid play.. putting all my chips in with ace high cant be good. especially when im sitting in relatively good stack position..

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont get sarcy with me brah when you have posted the most idiotic board to try and rep on with absolute air and you are....

9/10 times you are blowing away your stack, and i was saying fold pre because you should have, and if you already know this then why did you play the hand and why are you posting it.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all im trying to do is post some interesting hands.. im sorry if you dont find this interesting.. ill stick to the "should i have shoved this all in here with 5 bbs on the button type hands"

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all im trying to do is post some interesting hands.. im sorry if you dont find this interesting.. ill stick to the "should i have shoved this all in here with 5 bbs on the button type hands"
again with the sarcasm, i just dont know why your posting it, when you know its wrong, you know its a fold pre flop, you know you this is a god awful board to bluff at the majority of the time. So why post it?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is really a brag post because I'm guessing villain folded.

I mean, based on your read, this is a passive player who is waiting for a hand to play back against you, he LIMP RE-RAISES you and you barrel 3 streets with likely close to 0 equity (I'd like to see a stove on A2s vs. a passive player's limp re-raising range).

So you ask for feedback and get it and complain no one likes your play? Maybe you should reassess your mindset to poker in general if you're regularly blowing up in $2.20 MTTs and can't take criticism.

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is really a brag post because I'm guessing villain folded.

I mean, based on your read, this is a passive player who is waiting for a hand to play back against you, he LIMP RE-RAISES you and you barrel 3 streets with likely close to 0 equity (I'd like to see a stove on A2s vs. a passive player's limp re-raising range).

So you ask for feedback and get it and complain no one likes your play? Maybe you should reassess your mindset to poker in general if you're regularly blowing up in $2.20 MTTs and can't take criticism.
i agree, i think this really is a brag, but i dont give a shit if it was successful this one time, because you need to know, that 19 times out of 20, you are gonna blow away a huge part of your stack and your play was just plain stupid, and your skill did not play a part, it was 100% luck that you were actually good.

I have read some of your strat posts and you seem to be a decent player. I dont understand, why you are posting this hand when your not oing to accept the feedback.

There is no ther feedback to give imo, than "WTF FOLD PRE" and "WTF DUMB BLUFF"

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im happy with the feedback.. but when someone posts "wtf fold pre".. it just seems like a waste of time, as if im going to fold a2 suited in the bb here.. so the real issue is psotflop.. which obviously im wrong to try and make a play in this spot. i accept it thats fine...

that said.. i think now i agree that this hand was a bit stupid to post.. as i already knew it was a dumb thing to do... its not a brag.. far from it.. all im trying to do is post some interesting hands.. the hands that ive found generally interesting have generated little to no feedback or discussion so forgive me for trying something a bit differant..

oh and i genearlly dont play MTT... i tend to be overaggressive... obviously need to tone it back a bit

oh and the result? not successful.. obviously.. he calls with aces.. so not only was my play wrong.. my read that hed fold that hand too was wrong..

again i apologise...

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just fyi, you should fold A2 pre here, everytime, you dont need to call, completely unecessary, sorry if i came across wrong, i was just trying to help and thats my attitude sometimes.

But honestly, in a more helpful way, you really should fold anything worse than A9 in this spot, your just getting yourself into trouble, because most the time your opponents gonna have you crushed, like this hand, where he turns over AA

GL

FTP

Edit: Actually looking at this properly, just check the BB here, you kinda have to call his 3 bet because you have rpiced yourself in, but if you dont flop big you get out of here OTF, i understand the continuation but you just need to get away from this

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys... be cool, Wizzim is bluffing in the hand, so what? Poker is a game of misinformation, the nitty play is to fold preflop, but Wizzim was obviously trying to pull something off. I think that this play would have worked best if you called the flop and shoved the turn. That way your opponent doesnt feel very pot dedicated and can fold. Even tight players have problems folding big pairs.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
again with the sarcasm, i just dont know why your posting it, when you know its wrong, you know its a fold pre flop, you know you this is a god awful board to bluff at the majority of the time. So why post it?

Why does he 'fold' pre as you suggest when SB has limped in?

OP... this hand seems totally unecessary to me (the whole hand that is). You have a decent speculative hand that you get to see a flop for free in position with a good-sized stack.

bolda3

bolda3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would straight out fold this pre. A limp 3bet against this somewhat tight player is a red flag. I think this play is risky especially since you two have relatively big stacks at the table. However, this could sell your story of a big hand. Basically, I would have dumped this preflop after the limp 3bet.

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does he 'fold' pre as you suggest when SB has limped in?

OP... this hand seems totally unecessary to me (the whole hand that is). You have a decent speculative hand that you get to see a flop for free in position with a good-sized stack.
look at my ower posts, i didnt realise it was SB vs BB, he should check pre, but as played he has to call the 3 bet because he has priced himself in. But if he doesnt connect big enough to this flop, insta fold to any bet OTF