whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds were 400/800
I had about 23k chips

I was UTG with AQ. Min raised to 1600

Folds around to button who reraised me. Button has about 30k chips.

I shove all in. He calls with AK and he wins and calls me a donk

We were 10 spots away from being ITM (didn't realize this at the time)

Question: What could I have done better? Is it ever worth going all in with AQ when you're not really short in chips? Better to call or just fold?

What is the "textbook poker" move in a spot like this?

edit: no rebuys

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does he 3bet/call with worse than aq? Does he ever fold preflo0 to your 4bet jam?

Seems like an easy fold or flat call depending on opponant..

Jamming here only makes sense if he overvalues stuff like a7s and stacks of with it

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without stats HUD , very difficult to say what to do if we do not know range pfr and 3bet..

Against unknown villain i am only call 3bet and fold in flop if we missed , if he cbet....

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10 away from being in the money can either be far from the bubble, or close to the bubble depending on how big the field is.

if it's a 2,000 player field and you're 10 from the money, then I probably find a fold here. If it's a 200 player field and you're 10 from the money then you're really not close at all (relatively speaking) and so it's OK to take some more risks to build a stack.

But even if it's theoretically OK to take more risks, I don't know if 4bet jamming with AQ right here is a good idea.

We need to figure out what you are trying to accomplish with your 4bet. is it a 4bet bluff? or do you think you have the best hand and it's a value bet? D you think he was 3betting you light?

IMO, it is unlikely that he is bluffing because he is facing an UTG raiser, so he naturally should put you on the top of your playable range. Many players will just flat on the button with a playable hand here because they know that AA, KK, QQ and JJ are in pretty much every player's UTG range. If they want to crack your monster, they'll flat. if they want to extract with their own monster, they'll raise.

Now, if this had folded around to YOUR button and then the BB raised, then I think the 4bet jam is totally fine.

In this particular hand, I think I'd fold. Playing AQ out of position in a 3bet pot is tough. Unless the flop comes queen high, I don't like any flops. And even then, I'm gonna be cautious because I'm OOP and TPTK is tricky to play OOP.

Now, if I had raised UTG and then the BB raised me, I might flat and take a flop in position.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We should be weary of villain's hand here because looking at the stack sizes, stage of tournament and the fact that you raised from under the gun you will be having a lot of very strong to premium hands in your opening range so to 3bet you in this spot looks super strong from our perspective.

Alarm bells should be ringing in such cases especially if villain is a tightish player. If he is a LAG then we must not give him that much credit but still we have to tread lightly in such scenarios.

Shoving is a bad idea in any case so flat calling pre flop is the ideal way to go. :smokin:

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the amount of his 3bet? What was the overall stack situation? And what if anything had this particular opponent done to indicate that 4bet jamming was a good play (or the best) in this situation?

With the info provided, I'd fold. I have a reasonably playable stack and no compelling reason to risk it all by shoving in a situation where I'm likely to be either flipping or dominated. And calling OOP isn't particularly appealing since I'll miss the flop most of the time and might well be dominated if an A flops.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many factors like table dynamics, your image, etc.

But I think textbook will say you fold preflop.

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now, if I had raised UTG and then the BB raised me, I might flat and take a flop in position.

This^

Why do you need to get your whole stack in here? Even if you flat and fold the flop, you have plenty of chips. You even give yourself a chance to win it on the flop if he checks and you bet. You can also let it go if he shows extreme strength. Don't give up your position by jamming.