$2.20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: 99s vs utg jam

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket 99s in BB vs utg jam from relatively unknown player (seen play a few hands and seemed to be lag-gy but no real read) 15bbish effective stack (I had 16.5 I think, so almost whole stack) What do you do? Nearing tournament bubble.

Attachments

• 99svdutgjam.jpg
    99svdutgjam.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 21
J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No read on opponent,I would fold unless i got an AK+.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket 99s in BB vs utg jam from relatively unknown player (seen play a few hands and seemed to be lag-gy but no real read) 15bbish effective stack (I had 16.5 I think, so almost whole stack) What do you do? Nearing tournament bubble.

I would fold since he's unknown and shoving from that position usually means big strenght. I think the best sceranio here is 88 or weaker pairs...against all other hands it would be likely a coinflip, the worst case is 1010 or higher pocket pairs...so it's a fold IMO.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against an unknown opponent it's an easy fold imo. You dont wan't to risk 15bb at this point against a UTG shove which normally indicates a strong hand.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold, you want to be shoving your potential flips not calling off with them.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold, you want to be shoving your potential flips not calling off with them.

nailed it!

flips are unavoidable in tourneys, but you'd prefer to have fold equity on your side as much as possible. (which tilts the "coin" in your favor)

Here, you have no FE, and vs. his perceived UTG range you are basically hoping for a flip. let it go.

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys! I was hemming and hawing over folding it for a minute and then realized "I'm most likely flipping at best." I'm glad to know it was the right move in the situation. It was still a bit hard because I'm station who doesn't like to fold. Lol

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH I believe this is a pretty awkward spot , I think 99 is really the top of my folding range or either bottom of calling range here.

I don't know if this is a standard preflop fold.

I do agree with others shoving is always better as calling.

Cause you don't have any reads it might be a fold, but defenitely not one to make in general I believe.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You mentioned near bubble couple with no read over opponent.

Easy fold.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Want to add something to my previous comment , how likely is he shoving Aces,Kings and maybe even Queens here? Cause if he isn't shoving these in this spot, you can exclude them from his range and think you equity will improve vs his range.

Still I don't say it's a call , but something you should consider, when want to call or fold here.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Want to add something to my previous comment , how likely is he shoving Aces,Kings and maybe even Queens here? Cause if he isn't shoving these in this spot, you can exclude them from his range and think you equity will improve vs his range.

Still I don't say it's a call , but something you should consider, when want to call or fold here.

Yeah would agree he's probably not open jamming QQ+ but you just can't call with 99 unless villains a bad player in which case he might shove any pair. Decent regs open shoving range 15bb UTG is mostly so so narrow, probably AK+ JJ+ imo.