$2.20 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Set of Aces, what on earth do we do on river?

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know villain looks loose but thats over 16 hands. Anyway, had a disagreement on this, whats the consensus on the river?

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (9 handed) - Hold'em Manager Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

BB (t12290)
UTG (t15355)
UTG+1 (t9500)
MP1 (t2495)
MP2 (t10050)
Hero (MP3) (t8230)
CO (t11350)
Button (t6315)
SB (t13505)

Hero's M: 27.43

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9
spade.gif
, A
heart.gif

4 folds, Hero bets t600, 3 folds, BB calls t400

Flop: (t1300) 10
diamond.gif
, 3
diamond.gif
, A
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t800, BB calls t800

Turn: (t2900) 6
club.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t2600, Hero calls t2600

River: (t8100) A
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t8290 (All-In)

Total pot: t8100

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call, either a busted flush, 10 or a worse A, I think opponent 3-bets preflop with a better ace

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call, either a busted flush, 10 or a worse A, I think opponent 3-bets preflop with a better ace
I'm with this^^^.
I can't see him having a better ace though considering he called from the BB instead of re-raising.
If he had a real hand then he would make a bet you would feel comfortable in calling instead of pushing all-in.

Pillshark

Pillshark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know why the BB would have needed a bigger ace,to have called the pre flop raise.The BB was well stacked up.
The BB could have called with 33,66,A3,A6.
My guess is 66.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any reads at all on villain?

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know what the level of play is in the 2.20 DS. If this was one of the micro-entry tourneys I play, Villain would have been chasing postflop with A6 off and outrun you on the turn. Maybe Ad6d.

beady

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know why the BB would have needed a bigger ace,to have called the pre flop raise.The BB was well stacked up.
The BB could have called with 33,66,A3,A6.
My guess is 66.
I said to 3-bet. He proabably wouldnt' flat AJ-AK, maybe AJ

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot on turn was 2800 and he put out nearly a pot sized bet on turn, which I called, so he must figure me for an A at least, I don't understand why he would shove here with anything less than a boat, when the 2nd A hits. He would flat AJ, AT, A3, A6, 66, 33 in my view. Were not beating a whole lot, only smaller Aces and complete air, with 10k in the pot and me having 4.5k back he doesn't have much fold equity so why would he shove air?

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot on turn was 2800 and he put out nearly a pot sized bet on turn, which I called, so he must figure me for an A at least, I don't understand why he would shove here with anything less than a boat, when the 2nd A hits. He would flat AJ, AT, A3, A6, 66, 33 in my view. Were not beating a whole lot, only smaller Aces and complete air, with 10k in the pot and me having 4.5k back he doesn't have much fold equity so why would he shove air?
After reviewing this I think he is shoving a busted flush with the ace of diamonds, but not a boat. We are getting 3:1 to call i don't think theres anyway to escape this

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Trying to handread & 'make sense' out of certain players (many of them tbh) in the micros is often a total joke.
my answer... who knows?? Hero call & fire up 10more of them imo.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trying to handread & 'make sense' out of certain players (many of them tbh) in the micros is often a total joke.
my answer... who knows?? Hero call & fire up 10more of them imo.
+1
Can we have results?

Z

zackryan28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make the call. At low stakes, you are very likely to be ahead, unless this guy is really tight. Even so, I think you have to gamble with 3 Aces.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Results oriented: good fold
Without results: Still call 90% of the time

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I know. Thing is, this was out of BRM because I'm doing the $1 challenge atm, so I thought I could find a better spot at 10% of my BR this close to the bubble. I did, I got KK AIPF v Q9 and AQ, for a pot to put me 4th. Shame A hit & I busted 10 spots before the bubble.

brackdog

brackdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know what the level of play is in the 2.20 DS. If this was one of the micro-entry tourneys I play, Villain would have been chasing postflop with A6 off and outrun you on the turn. Maybe Ad6d.

beady

This is the poker world I live in. Only difference is that I make the call and then get called a fish.

bd

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise less preflop(to ~500).

Imo you can't call the turn if you're going to fold that river. The A or a 9 are the best you could hope for.

When a $2,20 donk flats the flop, then pot donks into you on the turn, you have to lay down a medium A. He's basically telling you he just improved.

As played call river, next time fold turn.

And as for the challenge thing you're doing: If it's making you play scared in tournaments then stop doing it.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny...reading the hand A6, 66 and T6 were about the only hands I could see the turn donk with. That or a really ill-timed bluff, which didn't seem too likely. I find turn donk-bets in micro stakes often indicate that the fish just hit something. That being said, I don't know if I can find a fold on the river getting 3:1. It seems like the right play, but in the moment I don't know that I could do it. I just can't think of what bluffs and weaker value hands the villain would fire the turn/river with.

On a different note: A smaller PFR size might have worked to your advantage. Also, I think the flop is an excellent one to check back for pot control. It's not quite WAWB, but it's a spot where you have a hand that isn't likely to get outdrawn on the turn and isn't strong enough to want 3 streets of value.

edit: hmm...actually the flop might not be too good to check back. I wasn't thinking about all the random broadway hands that happen to have gutshots and how any KQJ that peels on the turn makes your hand harder to play. But then, I'd think a KQJ on the turn would also make it more likely that you're going to get value from the hand. Tough one. I think personally I'd check back the flop...but now I'm not so sure that's the right play.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was reading the OP and as soon as villain bets the turn I thought: "$2 tourney -- he's just hit 2 pair" With the river shove I'm almost sure he has A6.

Good read, OP.

I'm folding this pre though with 40BB @ 100/200 unless blinds are really tight.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was reading the OP and as soon as villain bets the turn I thought: "$2 tourney -- he's just hit 2 pair" .

See that... I'm learning something.... cuz when I see them donk into me on the turn I'm thinking, "What the fk are they thinkin' now??... Why would this idiot donk into the turn on me with? If he's super strong now why isn't he checking to me again here? Why would he think I'm not firing again (unless he's thinking that I'm thinking like he's thinking.... in other words > my cbets are always AIR... then again, Why would he donk into me on the turn unless he thinks I'm strong enough to continue? (I see this stuff in CC priv. games by a few members)... Does he want me to fold? Does he want to win the minimum from me here or what?")
I can never make sense of their nonsensical shite.

Now where's that frigg'n button for 'multi-quoting'??

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would raise less preflop(to ~500).

When a $2,20 donk flats the flop, then pot donks into you on the turn, you have to lay down a medium A. He's basically telling you he just improved.

quote]

Ok... got it!!

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just learn the HTML!

edit: hmm...that was unkind. To make up for it and not derail: donk bets from fish on the flop often come with something of a sizing tell. Whether the 'big=weak' or 'big=strong' is true is opponent dependent. But I think in general it's the latter. Donk bets on the turn/river are more often a "I just hit my hand" signal, but they can carry the sizing tell element as well. Like...the min-raise donk on the turn is more often a blocking/weak bet than the pot-size donk bet.