$2.20 NLHE: $$2.20 NLHE: $2.20NL MTT: J/J facing an AI on turn vs. fishy player

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.20 NL HE: $$2.20 NL HE: $2.20NL MTT: J/J facing an AI on turn vs. fishy player

History on villain. I'm not playing with a HUD on MTTs currently, but taking notes. On particular villain my stats are:

-bets very strong on an AKx board after opening to 5x BB from UTG
-opens 9/10o from EP 2....
-gets involved in lots of hands

This is only ~15 hands in, but he had played in about 12. Knowing that he already has a vpip of 80ish and shows aggression postflop, how do I play this hand on the turn? The more I think about it the more upset I am that I didn't lead out again on the turn b/c I think that he is capable of seeing "weakness" and trying to sheriff the whole table.

Opinions? A.How should I have played turn

B.As played, can I call this justifiably?
--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

poker stars, $2.20 Buy-in (10/20 blinds) NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

BTN: 980 (49 bb)
Hero (SB): 2,720 (136 bb)
BB: 1,370 (68.5 bb)
UTG: 1,430 (71.5 bb)
UTG+1: 1,470 (73.5 bb)
MP1: 810 (40.5 bb)
MP2: 2,240 (112 bb)
MP3: 1,310 (65.5 bb)
CO: 1,170 (58.5 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is SB with J
club4.gif
J
heart4.gif

UTG calls 20, 4 folds, CO calls 20, BTN folds, Hero raises to 120, BB folds, UTG calls 100, CO folds

Flop: (280) A
spade4.gif
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets 200, UTG calls 200

Turn: (680) 2
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets 1,110 and is all-in

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you did fine Preflop, although from that position you might have even raised a little bit more with something like JJ just because your UTG caller is so loose. The flop is scary, and you do a good job of firing a well sized c-bet anyway for good measure to try and scare him off while you're most likely ahead. He calls which isn't surprising, probably since he's a calling station and is chasing his draw, or possibly because he's just a donkey.

Played as-is, I would fold here. There's really no telling what he's got, and you're stack size is too large to just cripple yourself here without a good read on what he might have. Even if he's bluffing, I say this is a good fold here given how early it is, and how strong you already are. No need to shoot yourself in the foot.

That said, given the size of the pot, the size of your stack and his, I would have personally fired another mid sized bet (say 300 or so) after the turn as a tester bet. If he cold calls again, you can just check the river, and if he raises then you fold. But just checking such an obvious scare card shows clear signs of weakness to me, and it may well just be a super aggressive player trying to buy the pot. Still, better to fold than to risk getting crippled.

Hope that's helpful, and best of luck!

T.

J

josh_dei8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He looks and sounds like a player that will play any Ace. Your C-bet and his call would slow me down on the turn also. Although I dont think he hit the flush on the turn his A rag is still good. He fired his all in bet cause when you checked he figures you missed your flush. I would fold at this point also, and not take a crippling to your stack

G

grvicious

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah you played it fine now give up imo

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FWIW I called and villain had 3/6s of clubs.

Not saying this to feed my own ego, just surprised me is all.
To me the turn overbet just seemed so weak but after I called I felt I was probably 40/60 on having that hand won, and thus felt like it was a bad call