$2.2 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Massive cooler on the final table

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4 players left in a 2,2$ "deep", which is a slow format on pokerstars. It had taken around 7 hours to get this far, and stacks were still very deep with the shortest guy sitting on almost 40BB. I felt kind of sorry for the opponent. So close and then he ran into this situation, which he had no chance of getting away from.....

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

B

bucky_barnes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems crazy but I'm not hating the jam by villain.

It's pretty clear, by how the hand played out, that villain is trying to balance out their nut hand jams and their nut bluffs jams. Seeing as their jam only needs to work 51% of the time to be profitable, they've balanced out that range extremely well. Just unfortunate to run into QhJh in this spot but there will be times where you don't have anything at all and will have to fold.

In the short term, it looks like a bad play to a lot of newer/weaker players, but all good players know that 50% of the time, this jam works 100% of the time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems crazy but I'm not hating the jam by villain.

It's pretty clear, by how the hand played out, that villain is trying to balance out their nut hand jams and their nut bluffs jams. Seeing as their jam only needs to work 51% of the time to be profitable, they've balanced out that range extremely well. Just unfortunate to run into QhJh in this spot but there will be times where you don't have anything at all and will have to fold.

In the short term, it looks like a bad play to a lot of newer/weaker players, but all good players know that 50% of the time, this jam works 100% of the time.

Obviously its always destined to end badly, when you bluff into the nuts, so unlucky timing play a role in this hand. But that being said its still a poorly played hand by the opponent. 42o is not a hand, you want to open from any position on the table, because its simply way to bad.

And the issue with this lack of preflop disciplin is, that if you play hands as bad as this, then you end up postflop with a lot of hands, that can only win by bluffing. And this creates, what is known as a frequenzy issue, where you end up with far to many bluffs and not enough valuebets. And then your opponents can basically own you by not folding their bluff catchers.

In top of that you also want to run big multistreet bluffs with hands, that have equity and/or good removal. On this board a reasonable bluffing hand would have been a hand with Ah rather than 2h, so that if a fourth heart comes on the river, he makes the nut flush rather than the nut low flush. And so that he block far more of my flushes. My range for calling preflop contain a fair amount of suited aces but not many suited deuces if any at all.

So to sum it up bluffing in itself is not bad, and its not bad to sometimes put your opponents to the test for all their chips on the final table. But if you pick a complete garbage hand like 42 offsuit and randomly go crazy with it, then it is in fact pretty bad :)

B

bucky_barnes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously its always destined to end badly, when you bluff into the nuts, so unlucky timing play a role in this hand. But that being said its still a poorly played hand by the opponent. 42o is not a hand, you want to open from any position on the table, because its simply way to bad.

And the issue with this lack of preflop disciplin is, that if you play hands as bad as this, then you end up postflop with a lot of hands, that can only win by bluffing. And this creates, what is known as a frequenzy issue, where you end up with far to many bluffs and not enough valuebets. And then your opponents can basically own you by not folding their bluff catchers.

In top of that you also want to run big multistreet bluffs with hands, that have equity and/or good removal. On this board a reasonable bluffing hand would have been a hand with Ah rather than 2h, so that if a fourth heart comes on the river, he makes the nut flush rather than the nut low flush. And so that he block far more of my flushes. My range for calling preflop contain a fair amount of suited aces but not many suited deuces if any at all.

So to sum it up bluffing in itself is not bad, and its not bad to sometimes put your opponents to the test for all their chips on the final table. But if you pick a complete garbage hand like 42 offsuit and randomly go crazy with it, then it is in fact pretty bad :)
I appreciate the breakdown and explanation, but my reply was purely sarcastic.

I thought your title and original post had a bit of a sarcastic tone to it, so I replied in the same way.

D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At those stakes and that deep into the tournament I'm never putting you on just a lone king after you call the turn, easy spot for him to shut down as all draws get there on the turn and if you were calling light river only incentivises me to shut down.

As played wp, how did you fair in the tournament?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I appreciate the breakdown and explanation, but my reply was purely sarcastic.

I thought your title and original post had a bit of a sarcastic tone to it, so I replied in the same way.

Ha ha yeah I can see that now. I am not completely on top today, so maybe thats why I missed it at first. Much appreciated :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played wp, how did you fair in the tournament?

I only managed to take 3. place unfortunately. This hand was pretty much the peak of my stack. After this is was a lot of battling back and forth with small and medium pots, until I got it in preflop for around 40 bigs with 99 and lost to AT.