Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero (MP): 35,617 (44.5 bb)
BTN: 53,255 (66.6 bb)

9 players post ante of 40, SB posts 400, BB posts 800

Pre Flop: (pot: 1,560) Hero has 7s 7c
2 folds, Hero raises to 2,000, 3 folds, BTN raises to 5,600, 2 folds, Hero calls 3,600

Flop: (12,760, 2 players) 6s 4c 8d
Hero checks, BTN bets 4,400, Hero calls 4,400

Turn: (21,560, 2 players) 4s
Hero checks, BTN bets 6,320, Hero calls 6,320

River: (34,200, 2 players) 8s
Hero bets 19,257 and is all-in, BTN folds

With this hand how it played out, what do you think Hero range looks like and with what hands can Hero take this line? I didn't really want to check call and bluff catch the villain and for the price I would be getting I didn't want to fold on the river bet as well. I almost never do something like this, but when the villain cbets the turn this small I really don't like folding any draw any 8, any pocket pair... Maybe he was betting this small because he can still jam the river anyway as after the turn call I have just over 50% pot. When later I checked this hand again, I kind of like how I played this but if we were deeper. With this size, I don't like it very much now. I am not sure with this size if he is ever folding 99+? If I poted the river bet or make it 1.5 pot I can probably make Aces to fold? I have all the nuts hands like 66, 87s, 89s... His range should very often be 99+, suited spades or hands with As with some broadway?
What do you think about this play in general and what do you think about this river size jam, was it the right play?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting spot.

As one suggestion earlier in the hand, I'd consider shoving over this 3-bet pre-flop against a lot of players. There's over 9k in the middle and our hand doesn't play particularly well post-flop. (Against someone who's tight or passive, then calling is OK but it's close between that and folding.)

At the river, I think your hand is too strong to turn into a bluff. You're jamming for just over half pot, it's tough for you to have many 8X hands or flushes in your range, and I think he's likely to call with most of his overpairs based on the price he's getting.

So as played, against a tighter player, we can give it up here (and probably fold earlier in the hand as well). Against a very aggressive player, call it off so that way we at least get paid off when he has been bluffing all the way.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I know, its tempting to call such a small 3-bet, but with relatively short stacks postflop is going to be pretty rough out of position with a hand like 77. So I probably lean towards either folding or turning it into a 4-bet bluff as suggested by Collin. Opponent reads or HUD data will be rather important for this decision. If this is someone with a very low 3-bet, then I snap fold, because then his sizing kind of scream aces or kings, and you are not deep enough to profitably setmine.

Flop
Definitely peeling one on this board. Worth noting that you flopped a gutshot, so even when he have an overpair, you have kind of decent equity.

Turn
On the flop his "downbetting" is pretty standard, but now it definitely makes me want to think a little about, what he wants to achieve? If he had an overpair, I think, he would go larger either for protection or to get more chips in the middle, before some bad river card kills his action.

This mostly looks like a bet designed to set up a river jam with fold equity. So I would put him mainly on AK/AQ type hands going for this type of play, unless of course they get there on fifth street. Unless maybe he is that kind of nitty guy, who can basically only have aces or kings, but then you should have folded preflop.

But assuming he can actually have hands like AK/AQ etc. and 3-bet them for this small sizing, then you can either check-jam or check-call. There are merits to both plays, as a check-jam denies his equity and takes away his ability to put you in tough spots, when a high card hits the river. Check-call on the other hand allow him to carry through with his plan and win you more money on a river card like this.

River
Interesting river card since it both completed a flush and paired top pair. Given the range, I just put him on, I would definitely check here with intentions to check-call. I dont think, there is any point in turning your hand into a bluff, because a lot of the time you simply have the best hand. And once again if this guy can only have aces or kings, then you should have folded preflop. I think, he most likely folded a hand, you were already beating.

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends a lot on the image I have of the villain at the table, if he is a very aggressive player who raises a lot and 3bet, paid to 3bet to play the post flop.
Now, if the flop comes high cards and I don't catch my pair, I hang up. It is very uncomfortable to play out of position with higher cards on the board and the villain does not stop batting.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands