$2.2 NLHE MTT Bounty: Bounty Builder 2.2$ bluff, is it valid to do it here?

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys :)

I had a very interesting hand, and I wanna see your opinions about the streets and the actions I made in it. Should I let it go, or can I stay in? And if I do, what I have to do different? Maybe what's his range here considering his moves?

Blinds: 450/900, I have 130K (144bbs) :kh4::as4:

UTG: 54bb --- 2bet (he often makes min-bets)
UTG+1: 16bb --- Fold
MP: 54bb --- Fold
HJ: 67bb --- Call 2bb (great player, optimal moves)
CT(Hero) 144bb --- Raise to 9bb
BT: 41bb --- Fold
SB: 19bb --- Fold
BB: sitted out --- Fold

To my bet, UTG folds, and HJ calls 9bb. Pot: 22.7bb

Flop:
:6c4::3h4::qc4:

HJ : check
Hero : bet 7.5bbs (33% pot)
HJ : call --------- Pot: 37.7bbs [HJ: 50.8bb, Hero: 127.7bb]

Turn: :6c4::3h4::qc4::7c4:

HJ: check
Hero: check ----- Pot: 37.7bbs

River: :6c4::3h4::qc4::7c4::7d4:

HJ: bet 10bb [40.8bb left, Pot: 47.7bbs]
Hero: re-raise to 33bb [Pot: 70bbs]
HJ: calls and shows
:kc4::jc4:

Little explanation: On river I figured out that he makes a valu-bet. I just really see him as good player as to make a fold or a call either. My read was based on that he hit a Queen at least, and if I'm right he may will fold it. I think he played this hand 100% on point, but I'm not sure if I can make a bluff here or should I?
Please, help me to analise this hand :)

Later on I did an outstanding read when there were 16 players left, and 66 beat a guy who chased a straight, and even KQJ appeared on the party, 4th pair were enough, and took the chiplead and reached 5th place which is my best Bounty Builder result so far, so this MTT will be placed in a warm place in my heart. This was the most questionable hand, that I think worth to talk about, so curios about your oppinion.

Last edited:
L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your preflop, flop, turn game is optimal. But River should not bluff. As you yourself noticed, he bets the river less than 1/3 on valu. And at low limits, people bluff the river with big bets and if he bet the river 2/3 of the bank and more, then you could think about call. And so you need to play a fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-bet is fine, and sizing looks good.

Flop
Small C-bet is fine, we can do that with pretty much our entire range.

Turn
Definitely a check back. Not only did we fail to improve, but a lot of his range picked up equity with 3 clubs on the board.

River
He only bet 10BB into a pot of 40BB, and while it does look kind of weak, I think, the choise should be between folding and calling. Maaaybe we are good 1 out of 6 times here, in which case we can make a break-even crying call, but against most opponents I would just be folding and not worry to much about it.

As for raising, first off all you need to consider, which hands you are repping after checking back turn? Like A7 of hearts or spades exactly? Or maybe a slowplayed nut flush? You have very few combos for value, so you should not have many bluffs either. And your hand is not a good candidate for a bluff, because you dont block the flush. If you had a club in your hand, then MAYBE I could get on board with this, but with no club this is bordering on spew.

What it looks like to me is "I dont want to fold to such a small bet, but I know, calling is not profitable, so I am going to raise, and hopefully he will fold". But thats not a good thought process. In some cases - like this one - thats exactly, what people want to acheive with a small bet. They want to induce. So you kind of fell right into the trap, he was setting for you.

Finally if you are going to raise, you need to raise big enough to move him in rather than leave him a tiny amount of chips behind. By not moving him in, you are literally screaming from the mountain top, that you dont care about his bounty. And the only reason, you would not care about his bounty is because, you expect to lose the hand, if he call. So you are giving off a pretty significant bet sizing tell here. Key points to take away:

1) Dont fall into the trap of raising, just because people bet small
2) Consider blockers when picking hands to bluff with
3) Always consider, what you are repping for value and avoid giving away bet sizing tells

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once he calls the c bet on the flop it's time to shut it down and fold to aggression. Protect the stack you have to help you get further in the game.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys :)

I had a very interesting hand, and I wanna see your opinions about the streets and the actions I made in it. Should I let it go, or can I stay in? And if I do, what I have to do different? Maybe what's his range here considering his moves?

Blinds: 450/900, I have 130K (144bbs) :kh4::as4:

UTG: 54bb --- 2bet (he often makes min-bets)
UTG+1: 16bb --- Fold
MP: 54bb --- Fold
HJ: 67bb --- Call 2bb (great player, optimal moves)
CT(Hero) 144bb --- Raise to 9bb
BT: 41bb --- Fold
SB: 19bb --- Fold
BB: sitted out --- Fold

To my bet, UTG folds, and HJ calls 9bb. Pot: 22.7bb

Flop:
:6c4::3h4::qc4:

HJ : check
Hero : bet 7.5bbs (33% pot)
HJ : call --------- Pot: 37.7bbs [HJ: 50.8bb, Hero: 127.7bb]

Turn: :6c4::3h4::qc4::7c4:

HJ: check
Hero: check ----- Pot: 37.7bbs

River: :6c4::3h4::qc4::7c4::7d4:

HJ: bet 10bb [40.8bb left, Pot: 47.7bbs]
Hero: re-raise to 33bb [Pot: 70bbs]
HJ: calls and shows
:kc4::jc4:

Little explanation: On river I figured out that he makes a valu-bet. I just really see him as good player as to make a fold or a call either. My read was based on that he hit a Queen at least, and if I'm right he may will fold it. I think he played this hand 100% on point, but I'm not sure if I can make a bluff here or should I?
Please, help me to analise this hand :)

Later on I did an outstanding read when there were 16 players left, and 66 beat a guy who chased a straight, and even KQJ appeared on the party, 4th pair were enough, and took the chiplead and reached 5th place which is my best Bounty Builder result so far, so this MTT will be placed in a warm place in my heart. This was the most questionable hand, that I think worth to talk about, so curios about your oppinion.

Thank you for posting.

Congrats on a good read and finishing in 5th way to go.

When we want to bluff our Villains on rivers we have to target their over fold tendencies with this stop and go action that you used. However you said this player plays optimally.
So they are unlikely to over fold.
A good player knows you could be checking A wide range of big pairs on this turn-hands that Qx does not beat. They also could know if you had turned a nut hand or draw to a nut hand you might continue to bet to build the pot as there are few river cards that would make a good V think they have the nuts if they do not have a flush.

Therefore if we were to target a Qx hand held by a good V we would bet turn then shove river as a good V would know that we can have the flushes in our range as well as top top over pairs and sets with a blocker as well as some bluffs like AK with a blocker.

However as occurred here we targeted too narrow a range for our V. A good V will play a wider range when they think you capped your range preflop and they are 67 bb's deep and in position.

Hope this helps
:):)

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is good, flop is fine. You could check on the flop but cbet is pretty standard with all your range. On the turn, checking and trying to get to the showdown is what you want. Once he calls your flop bet, you can put him on Qx, smaller pocket pairs, maybe A6/A3s, sets and flush draws. He probably won’t bet small pairs. The worst hand he bets is Qx and I just don’t think he folds enough to warrant a raise.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on your good finish in the tournament, we all make mistakes( specially me), like you did with overplaying your AK. It’s good that hands like this one are posted, and we can all see lots of options, and work together on improvement of our game. Maybe I would play this hand same like you, but when I think little bit more, giving up on turn would be the best play here. It’s hard to make someone to fold in small stakes even if he had 4th pair.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank all of you for the really great answers, it helped me a lot.
There are times in poker when you just have to risk, but that wasn't. Sometimes when all informations are in your hand not to make silly decisions, you still can make it. Luckily I reduced this number so low.
Next time I'm gonna protect my stack in a situation like this on river, and let go this good-looking hand when they clearly have it.

I do some raises in bounty games tho, which are not going for bounties, just their stacks and left some to them. Especially when I have a read on them which tell me that they not gonna go for it with their hands, but their chips still worth to grab a big piece and making me stronger. And even I do respect small raises too in situations like this, I overreacted my chance to bluff her out - and even not realised, in this hand I didn't have that option.

Good luck on the fields. :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do some raises in bounty games tho, which are not going for bounties, just their stacks and left some to them.

This is probably not a very good strategy in general, because even if you get action more often, you also win significantly less, when you dont get that bounty. So they have to be extremely elastic in their calling range, and in a hand like this one, I just dont think, thats the case. The guy had 40.8BB going to the river, and if he is willing to put in 80% of those chips as a call, he is also willing to put in the rest. So I think, you are levelling yourself, if you make these kind of plays even for value.