$2.15 NLHE HU Tourney: Flopped Trips on 2h3s4c Board, Slowplay?

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2.15 NL HE HU Tourney: Flopped Trips on 2h3s4c Board, Slowplay?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2+0.20 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (2 handed)

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (BB) (t1240)
Button (SB) (t1760)

Hero's M: 20.67

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3
club.gif
, 3
heart.gif

Button calls t20, Hero checks

Flop: (t80) 3
spade.gif
, 4
club.gif
, 2
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t80, Hero calls t80

Turn: (t240) Q
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets t240, Hero calls t240

River: (t720) 5
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t400, Button raises to t1400 (All-In), Hero calls t480 (All-In)

Total pot: t2480

Results:
Button had 4
heart.gif
, A
heart.gif
(straight, five high).
Hero had 3
club.gif
, 3
heart.gif
(three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: Button won t2480

I check my BB and flop a set on a 2h3s4c board. I check/call pot in hopes that a large card comes on the Turn, with the intention of check/calling the turn and stacking the river. Turn comes a Qd and I check/call pot leaving me with 880 behind. This gives villain 3:1 immediate and 6.6:1 implied (since my intention is to stack off the river). The only likely outs are four 5s, and four 6s, with about an 8:1 chance to fall. The 5c falls and given that my stack size=pot size I decide to stack off, considering that he probably does this with most Qs.

Is my slowplay sensible here, or is there a more optimal line?

P

Poh2805

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. Considering this is a tournament and players are less likely to call an all-in based on a straight draw you should have not let him see the turn.
Your positioning was awkward because you were forced to act first...had you been last to act if he had bet I could almost certainly guarantee that he had a straight draw or on the rare occasion, flopped the straight.
That board is very very dangerous.
Its best not to slow play a board like that. Had the board been
2 , 3 , 7-A, you could have slow played it.

L

lov_my_wife

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the check pre flop and the smooth call on the flop but being that there is that possible str8 and that u were behind in the match i think i would have re raised it and took it on the turn, and if it were to get all in then oh well, just bad luck but i think you coulda picked it up on the turn as well as you should have

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why call the turn and then lead out on the river when a scare card comes? This is a very easy turn raise. As played, the river is a very clear check.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop I think checking is good as it villian is likely missed that board with most the hands he raises preflop with and also when he has got a piece you most likely have them beat. 99.9% of the time we are way ahead here, so check and hopefully he will continuation bet. When he does you must raise. Why, because calling leaves the possibilty og him getting a cheap turn which could bring a five and leave you in a horrible spot, and it is also difficult to tell your hand strength due to the low flop texture and villian having virtually no infor mation on you hand apart from the fact you checked preflop and checked flop. Checking raising now puts you in control and villian in a tricky spot.

I bet every turn except a 5 or Ace. A five im shit scared of and pretty musch done with the hand, the ace im check calling smaal-medium bets trying to get a cheap showdown as it is morelikely villian has an ace to make the straight than a 5 in his hole cards.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the horrible river play is far more concerning than the (still bad) slowplay. your stack goes in on the turn (or you could just lead turn), as played check-fold river, betting is really, really awful.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You seemed to have over played the hand. If you check raised the turn all in, there might have been a chance he can muck his hand. Beyond that, you check raised the river in hopes of representing the ace/six. By then it would be too late. Your only option here is to check call fifth street in hopes of the villain betting small enough to call or an over/pot size bet fold.

C

chop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slowplaying a set on a straightening board is also a horrible mistake i made a few days ago... i think you should've bet the pot at the flop, if he would call and that turn brought a safe card Q you should've just went all in... (and taking the pot while you still can)
greed can screw you over in those situations.

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the horrible river play is far more concerning than the (still bad) slowplay. your stack goes in on the turn (or you could just lead turn), as played check-fold river, betting is really, really awful.

Essentially when we're going to put 1/3 of our stack into the pot, we might as well just get all in, since the pot will eclipse our stack anyway. Is that the core of what you're saying, really?

sky4ever

sky4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cold-calling a flop like that in a tournament doesn`t build a solid pot for pushing your whole stack in the middle on the turn (witch should have been your goal from the begining)

G

grvicious

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all is fine to the turn i think you have to c/r there after he has bet twice basically saying i have a big hand and he is willing to go with it
honestly i would probably raise the flop and just try to get it in with as many draws were out there but you have to on the turn if not on the flop

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the play until the turn.. I would have bet a small amount to see if he hit the turn or any part of the flop.. If not, you won't get paid off anyway.

But basically it ended up being a cold deck.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Essentially when we're going to put 1/3 of our stack into the pot, we might as well just get all in, since the pot will eclipse our stack anyway. Is that the core of what you're saying, really?

He's saying to check/fold the river, not get it in on the river. The river 5 is an awful card for you. I can see a check/call depending on how much villain bets but there is 0 reason to lead out the river.

As stated before, slowplaying the flop is fine. There is 0 reason to slowplay the turn. The pot is moderately large and villain has expressed an interest in the pot meaning they have a high probability of calling your check raise.