180 person SNG - Short stack at final table

T

Toad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other 3 players have been pretty aggressive and taking money from eachother while I've watched my stack dwindle. My M is getting VERY low. I pushed all in with KK on the last hand, but didn't get any callers. What do I do with A7o?

This is one of the 180 person SNGs on PokerStars.

PokerStars Game #19107431979: Tournament #98022087, $2.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level XVIII (2500/5000) - 2008/07/26 - 01:31:14 (ET) Table '98022087 2' 9-max

Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Hughie46 (53896 in chips)
Seat 5: DrToad (29257 in chips)
Seat 6: Bobert 64 (102355 in chips)
Seat 8: beejaybear (84492 in chips)

Hughie46: posts the ante 500
DrToad: posts the ante 500
Bobert 64: posts the ante 500
beejaybear: posts the ante 500
beejaybear: posts small blind 2500
Hughie46: posts big blind 5000

Dealt to DrToad:7♠ A♦

DrToad ???

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Four-handed, when we're about to get hit with the big blind, I think we just have to open shove this.

The fact that the game is short-handed makes our situation even more desperate, as we'll go broke after maybe a dozen hands if we don't play something.

Shove and cross your fingers, I guess.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do I do with A7o?

Exactly the same as you'd do with 23o. All in, your cards aren't relevant here.

What do you think your 3 opponents have been pushing with?

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, personally, I'd push, A7 is a pretty ok hand, even if we do get called, especially 4-handed

itlegacy

itlegacy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also agree ... though conservative for the most part, this is where one must open up, or as you noticed, the ante's and blinds will eat away at your resources.

T

Toad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did shove...

...and ended up being called by A9o and going out in 4th place.

I was wondering whether my shove was premature, but it seems to be the concensus that this was the right move in this situation. I guess if I had to do anything different I would get more aggressive a little earlier instead of blinding myself out and losing fold equity in the process.

Thanks for the input!

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Toad, im finding that I normally leave it till I have 10 blinds left(M factor of 10?) and then I start thinking about pushing with semi-decent hands, that way you have more people folding because you have a pretty good stack, and also if you do get called, you still have a hand.
I used to let my stack go way down, and so then when I did push, everyone wanted to call, as my stack didnt affect them that much if i won.

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
180 person SnG. Might as well just play in a reqular tounament somewhere els, LOL But, hey, how bad can 4th place be. And with A 7 you gave it your best shot. Ihave found this true in several smaller Sng's which I play a lot of, And I would have shoved in your poition. It might be a while before you get a better chance, so take it now.

Last edited:
The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would get your stack in here for a few reasons:

1. Your M is low.
2. You are about to be hit by the blinds.
3. You are 4 handed.

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at this point ... any ace in a storm... push and cross your fingers.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was wondering whether my shove was premature

I'd say it was actually overdue.

If you make this decision a few rounds earlier, you might find yourself in with a chance of doubling up and being back in the race for the win. When you leave it this long, all you can really hope for is a stay of execution.

H

HeroCall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold it as you have to go through all 3 players to get the steal done and if you get called your most likely in trouble.

C

chadherczeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
short stacked short handed is....

short stacked short handed is the hardest to play because of the fact that the big stacks are going to push every hand. you need to pick a hand, like A-7o and push with it, it is going to win approx. 58 percent of the time heads up so any ace or any hand that adds up to 20 is a good push, i would even inclued 10-9 or better in push hands here also, you have already cashed, so now it's about winning, try and get that stack up you are more likely to make it to heads up where the real poker is played and also more likely to be able to be more patient for others to be knocked out so your cash improves. GL

H

harriskem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold it as you have to go through all 3 players to get the steal done and if you get called your most likely in trouble.

not true. A7 is a good hand to push here. One of the big stacks will call with a wide range of hands in which you are ahead. You would fold and wait for a better spot? You have no fold equity and will get called by even worse junk if you wait

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
allin!! your short stacked, you have to make a move. at least you may get the pot, most won't risk position at final table, i'd only worry about leader, but even then they might get involved, if they're pretty tight i thimk they'll fold, with gotz. (i can use that word can't i? i hope so.) :joyman:
i really like smilies!! :D

H

HeroCall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you get called your most likely flipping coins or are dominated. It would depend on the money increase from 4th to 3rd for me.