$1500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: WSOP Monsterstack Blind vs. Blind induce with ATo or jam?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: WSOP Monsterstack Blind vs. Blind induce with ATo or jam?

This is day 2 of the wsop Monsterstack event. We are getting close to dinner break, and the bubble. We are maybe 50 people from the bubble (out of a 7,192 field....so it's close).

Level 17 blinds are 500/2,000/4,000

The BB is on my direct left and is one of the tough players who was outplaying me and giving me a hard time all day, but he’s had some bad luck and is down to about 60k. so he has 15bb. I have 167k or 42 bb.

It folds to my SB and I have ATo. I had already decided to jam any decent hand, but to raise any good hands that I’d be happy to get it in with; I expect he will 3bet jam pretty light (something like 22+, any ace, any 2 broadway cards and some suited connectors), so I decide to raise it up to 10,000.

He predictably jams and I quickly call. He has QJo which is basically what I thought he would show up with. He turns a J and doubles thru me and I’m down to 109k or 27bb. I think my plan was good…but maybe ATo was too weak to “induce” with. If so…what is the weakest hand I should raise/call with vs. just open jamming?

F

floppymcflopperson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the induce with a10 o as opposed to just jamming. Sounds like all the money was gonna go in no matter what you did, but I like the play. Congrats on your play so far! I hope you go DAF. Wish I knew how to answer that one...A8 for me, if I was going to make a play like that. Bring in all his broadways and lower Ax hands

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think ATo is fine to be raising with against anyone. If he shoves we are fine with getting it in, if he calls we have a strong hand to play post flop even though most of your post flop decisions should be fairly easy with his stack size.

I would prefer shoving most small pockets, suited connectors, Kx, Q8+ and some smaller Aces, mainly because you have decent equity against his range if you see all 5 cards but there are quite a few flops that you may have to give up on if he plays back at you.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it well. THat is definitely a hand in that situation where you want to take advantage of a weak player and get it AIPF. It didn't work out the way you wanted, but it was still the right play.

27DaNutz

27DaNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think you played it pretty well shame your hand never held
however you made the right move at the right time .. sometimes we get paid for our good play sometimes we don't

:)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
perfect play here, absolutely the same thing i would have done here considering reads/opponant. Let them hang themselves and snap them off, good stuff!

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you get other stack sizes you can also add limping to your play, with the intention of jamming over him when he tries to iso-raise you in position. That way we don't have to get to showdown quite as often, but you need the right stack size to do so/make sure he's not priced in.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you get other stack sizes you can also add limping to your play, with the intention of jamming over him when he tries to iso-raise you in position. That way we don't have to get to showdown quite as often, but you need the right stack size to do so/make sure he's not priced in.

What do you think effective stacks should be for this play? Somebody did it to me on day 3. he limped from SB into my BB, I 3x raised A8o, he jammed like 19bb and I folded. He was new to the table I had no info on him. I think 15bb might be the minimum stack for them not to be priced in. and I think 22BB is risking way too much and only gets called by big hands.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah something around 14-25bb effective.

the thing is it's basically a 3bet shove, cos the players you do it vs will be iso-raising you really wide the first few times, this play loses effectiveness the more you use it, so you can only really get away with it maybe 1-2 times before the player adjusts usually only the once, but the other thing it then allows you to do is to see the flop really cheaply as he likely won't iso-raise you much in the future.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This is day 2 of the WSOP Monsterstack event. We are getting close to dinner break, and the bubble. We are maybe 50 people from the bubble (out of a 7,192 field....so it's close).

Level 17 blinds are 500/2,000/4,000

The BB is on my direct left and is one of the tough players who was outplaying me and giving me a hard time all day, but he’s had some bad luck and is down to about 60k. so he has 15bb. I have 167k or 42 bb.

It folds to my SB and I have ATo. I had already decided to jam any decent hand, but to raise any good hands that I’d be happy to get it in with; I expect he will 3bet jam pretty light (something like 22+, any ace, any 2 broadway cards and some suited connectors), so I decide to raise it up to 10,000.

He predictably jams and I quickly call. He has QJo which is basically what I thought he would show up with. He turns a J and doubles thru me and I’m down to 109k or 27bb. I think my plan was good…but maybe ATo was too weak to “induce” with. If so…what is the weakest hand I should raise/call with vs. just open jamming?

AT is basically a monster in that spot, with the bb being a good player and only having 15 bb's. I might actually limp in that spot to induce a weak shove. I think that's actually a better option than opening small to induce a shove. A lot of his range that will jam if you limp would actually fold or flat to your 2.5x open. If he's a good player as you say, you don't want him flatting because then he has position on you for the remainder of the hand, and can easily outplay you. I think overall limping is the best option, because a good, knowledgable player in the bb would jam basically any two in that spot after a weak looking limp in the sb.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AT is basically a monster in that spot, with the bb being a good player and only having 15 bb's. I might actually limp in that spot to induce a weak shove. I think that's actually a better option than opening small to induce a shove. A lot of his range that will jam if you limp would actually fold or flat to your 2.5x open. If he's a good player as you say, you don't want him flatting because then he has position on you for the remainder of the hand, and can easily outplay you. I think overall limping is the best option, because a good, knowledgable player in the bb would jam basically any two in that spot after a weak looking limp in the sb.

Great point!

WSOP