$1500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $1,500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: KK in SB vs hyper-LAG. How to extract?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $1,500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: KK in SB vs hyper-LAG. How to extract?

This is day 1 of the wsop Monster stack. We are about 3 hours in. Guy to my immediate right has been a thorn in my side all day. He is definitely table captain with lots of small preflop raises and lots of huge post flop bets and raises. I've seen few hands go to showdown with him because if he doesn't blast the flop, he blasts the turn. He plays about 60% of hands preflop of which roughly half of those he opens for a small 2.2x raise and about half those he 3bets the initial raiser. He rarely calls a raise except in his blinds. Also he defends his button nearly 100% of the time by either flatting or 3betting.

His response to being 3bet is 90% of the time he flats 5% of the time he 4bets and 5% of the time he folds. He seems to flat the 3bet pretty much regardless of the size unless it is an over shove. Meaning he is just as likely to call a 3.5x 3bet as a 2.5x 3bet.

Post flop he blasts the flop with a polarized range and pot controls with 1 pair hands (usually because he has a crap kicker).

Anyways...I have about 17,000 at the beginning of this hand and blinds are 75/150 with no antes. Villain has about 40k and Is on the button, I am in the SB. It folds to villain who makes it 400 to go. I look down at pocket kings and make it 1,550. He instantly makes it 4,750 without even taking a second to think. It is worth noting that I have been 3betting him somewhat frequently and he has always flatted...he never 4bet me even once and never folded even once. I am pretty much the only person at the table playing back at him and being aggressive and I'm on his left so I know he hates it. Therefore he could be 4betting me light to put me in my place...but I think it is far more likely that he actually has a hand.

I go into the tank trying to decide if I should flat for deception and then check raise jam his flop Cbet? Or if I should just jam now and hope he calls with JJ+ or AK?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm flatting here.

Based on your description of this guy, here's what is likely to happen.

You 5bet shove - He probably isn't calling with anything worse. You said he wasn't playing back at overbet shoves, and you really polarize yourself to KK+ here when you 5bet shove. QQ might call you, I doubt AK will.

You flat - You now keep all of his worse trash hands (which he likely has a wide range of) and allow him to spew postflop, as, as you stated, he is firing every flop/turn regardless of the board. I don't see how this guy won't sense weakness in your flat and try and bluff you off your hand on the flop if not the turn. I'm probably check shoving really wet board and flatting the rest on the flop if you flat, and check/folding any board that has an ace on it, which will only happen 18% of the time.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah...I shoulda flatted. The thing is I cannot fold even when an ace hits. He will bet no matter what. And the likelihood of him having an ace isn't good enough. Vs some players yes...but vs this guy no I can't fold to the scare card. He will know that most of my likely 3bet/calling range hates the ace and he will bet it. So if the flop comes with an ace I have to probably check raise jam which is really scary...but it might blow him off his weak ace and most likely he'll just fold the worse hand; but I'll get 1 extra bet outta him.

In game I chickened out and 5bet jammed because I knew I'd have to call him down almost no matter what happened post flop. I decided the pot was "big enough". To take down now...which I now realize was just me playing scared.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH, if he is a competent player, alarm bells will be going off in his head if you flat this much of your stack OOP and he is likely to shut down if he bricks. He seems to have sized it perfectly to leverage your stack. 5b shoving is fine, sometimes you're going to cooler him and double up, sometimes he's going to fold, but you're creating a dynamic whereby he's less likely to mess with you if he feels like he's getting owned. Think you played it fine.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard is shove. imo

But sometimes for mixing i would re-raise light (commitive ~ t9500) to gain value+ creating illusion where villain can not really fold with his bottom stealing range+most likely get it in with JJ+ KA. imo

But i am not going to flat OOP, pot is already big enough to be taken. imo

Note that i am playing micro stakes+not live!

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question is, what type of agro guy is he? Agro reg or agro fish? Is he also agro post flop? Also a question you should ask is will he stack off with AK JJ-QQ and maybe even TT? Don't you think, if you flat you will only rep super strong hands? The pot is already big. I think i just shove. If he folds you chip up, if he calls you're very likely in favour to double up. If you think he's snap bluffing a lot and would fold almost every time you 5b, i think flatting is the best option.

Did he snap 3b/4b earlier and did it went to showdown? What did it mean? Just wondering if you got any info on that.

And he might be agro, but did he 4b earlier? A player can be agro with 3betting but tight with 4betting. It would really depend for me on how he was playing the whole tournament. How often i think he will be 4b bluffing and if i think i can get enough value to trap him and just call then i just call. And as i said earlier, how light will he be calling your 5b? if it is only KK+ defo just call. If he's agro mega fish calling off light, shove is the best option imo.

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TBH, if he is a competent player, alarm bells will be going off in his head if you flat this much of your stack OOP and he is likely to shut down if he bricks. He seems to have sized it perfectly to leverage your stack. 5b shoving is fine, sometimes you're going to cooler him and double up, sometimes he's going to fold, but you're creating a dynamic whereby he's less likely to mess with you if he feels like he's getting owned. Think you played it fine.

This ^^^^

I would have done exactly what you did.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is day 1 of the WSOP Monster stack. We are about 3 hours in. Guy to my immediate right has been a thorn in my side all day. He is definitely table captain with lots of small preflop raises and lots of huge post flop bets and raises. I've seen few hands go to showdown with him because if he doesn't blast the flop, he blasts the turn. He plays about 60% of hands preflop of which roughly half of those he opens for a small 2.2x raise and about half those he 3bets the initial raiser. He rarely calls a raise except in his blinds. Also he defends his button nearly 100% of the time by either flatting or 3betting.

His response to being 3bet is 90% of the time he flats 5% of the time he 4bets and 5% of the time he folds. He seems to flat the 3bet pretty much regardless of the size unless it is an over shove. Meaning he is just as likely to call a 3.5x 3bet as a 2.5x 3bet.

Post flop he blasts the flop with a polarized range and pot controls with 1 pair hands (usually because he has a crap kicker).

Anyways...I have about 17,000 at the beginning of this hand and blinds are 75/150 with no antes. Villain has about 40k and Is on the button, I am in the SB. It folds to villain who makes it 400 to go. I look down at pocket kings and make it 1,550. He instantly makes it 4,750 without even taking a second to think. It is worth noting that I have been 3betting him somewhat frequently and he has always flatted...he never 4bet me even once and never folded even once. I am pretty much the only person at the table playing back at him and being aggressive and I'm on his left so I know he hates it. Therefore he could be 4betting me light to put me in my place...but I think it is far more likely that he actually has a hand.

I go into the tank trying to decide if I should flat for deception and then check raise jam his flop Cbet? Or if I should just jam now and hope he calls with JJ+ or AK?

I would shove. Kings are vulnerable postflop, and an A on the flop would be a disaster. He put 1/3 of your stack in the pot, so it's likely that he would call it with hands like QQ, AK (because you fought with him many times before), maybe JJ, AQ...and if he has AA, that's poker...