$1500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $1,500 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Flop OESD vs. LAG

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a hand from the middle of day 1 of the wsop Monster Stack Event.

starting stack 15,000 and I have about 12,000. Blinds are 25/100/200.

I am in the BB and it folds to the CO who has been active in position, and who I have caught river bluffing twice already. He raises and makes it 500.

The Button flats. This is no shock. He is a LAG, he is playing about 70% of pots and he nearly always raises, or calls a raise preflop. Rarely 3bets preflop. Post flop he bets big on the flop, turn, and river. Ex: He'll check raise for 6,000 into a 2,500 pot. His betting patterns seem very consistent that he bets roughly the pot if he's bluffing and he overbets the pot if he has it.

I am in the BB and have :ks4::qc4:. Pot contains 1,550 and it costs me 300 to call. I call.

Flop comes :js4::10d4::7c4:

I check. CO bets 1,000. Button LAG flats. The flat is a little weird, I'm used to seeing him as the aggressor. Don't see him flatting post flop too often.

Pot contains 3,850 and it folds back to me. I have about 11,500 behind and an open ended straight draw with 2 overs.

What's my next move?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call and see a turn. usually overcalls freeze action a bit, though i have no idea how live events play out.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has the button LAG flatted in position before? Also any other reads on the CO?

I'm flatting as well since you have a fairly accurate read on him and how he plays his hands.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cannot remember if I had ever seen the LAG flat in position at this point of the tourney, but I distinctly remember thinking it was odd.

I had no read on the CO other than he was a position player and I felt his flop bet to be simply a Cbet.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least a flat.... I don't mind an occasional check raise here if you're feeling frisky, being that the stacks are deep.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we're not deep, if we put in a riase to 3k we're getting to the point where we are committed to the pot.

zaxxorr

zaxxorr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, if they cbet over 60-70% of their raises and fold to raises on their cbets over 50% id raise it to pot or shove if u think hes going to come overtop of you, depending on the stacks and your read

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I actually did was check-raise all in. My thought being that I'm representing a set or a straight and they couldn't call me with less than a monster. I had been extremely tight and patient all day so they had no reason to suspect I was making a move.

As it turned out, the Cbettor in the CO folded and the LAG on the button snap called me with JTo. He had flopped top 2 pair....so I had indeed detected something was "weird" about his flat.

so....I get bailed out by the deck and spike a 9 for a straight to double thru the LAG.

That was a turning point in the tourney for me where I took over the table chip lead from the LAG and since I had position on him and a dead read on his betting patterns I ended up eventually getting his whole stack over the next 2 hours.

But, I got my money in bad and got pretty lucky.

Was that move simply too risky and my bad play was rewarded? or was this a proper gamble to take for this stage of the tourney given the table factors?

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But, I got my money in bad and got pretty lucky.

Was that move simply too risky and my bad play was rewarded? or was this a proper gamble to take for this stage of the tourney given the table factors?

Well especially in major tournaments, got to get lucky to win. If this LAG is a thinking player (pretty sure since he knew what he wanted with the top 2 flopped), there is a possibility he may level into a fold against an 8.