No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Mystery bounty 2 lvl
I got 90 bb, avarage stack 100bb

Hi jack raises 2bb, sb calls, we got KK on bb, we 3 bet 10bb, both players calls

Flop TcTs9c (pot 31 bb)
sb checks, hero bets 16bb, hi jack all in, sb folds

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Considering this is a $1500 tourney (if that is correct) then I dont think villain is showing up here with 9x considering you 3 bet pre and easily could have JJ+ here. I think villain is counting on you having JJ+ here and cant fold it especially if they cover you. I would fold here and not really think twice. You could be up against some draws but I would not chance it... maybe I am too weak in these spots.

As a side note, no reason to bet as much as you did on the flop. I know there are 2 clubs and the board is wet but as far as pairs and sets are concerned there are less of them. I would also be betting less if we had the K of clubs which is not mentioned. I just think in this big of a buy in and its a bounty I dont think this is a bluff too often and is someone hoping you call it off with a hand you "think you just cant fold".

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The high buy in game, doesn't gives you the comfort to do risky moves. But even if it was a lower tournament, with the tens on board and with that betting of the opponent, I think the fold decision is right.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mystery bounty 2 lvl
I got 90 bb, avarage stack 100bb

Hi jack raises 2bb, sb calls, we got KK on bb, we 3 bet 10bb, both players calls

Flop TcTs9c (pot 31 bb)
sb checks, hero bets 16bb, hi jack all in, sb folds
In a mystery bounty we need to stack protect because any bounty we get can be the top bounty so fold is fine but as 300hp said we do not need to bet 16 when 10 will do the same thing. We might check this flop as well because it is specifically TT9 77x and below are much better bet spots as played
Standard V have a T or a combo draw here normally for this type of shove- Standard + some lag expect you to fold AA here so they can be shoving non-combo draws- so if you think your image is you will fold you could call sometimes but I would fold in a mystery bounty hoping to win bounties later on to hit the big one.

A good question to ask ourselves in this spot is -is this player capable of making a play at me to get me to fold KK - if you don't know they could then fold

:unsure::geek:

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some important info missing, I know you said avg stack was 90 BB, but what was the stack size of the highjack? That info will give you a better idea of a range that they would be raising in an un-opened pot and calling a 3-bet from the BB in a multiway pot. Players make more tricky moves in the higher dollar tournament. Folding here only puts him on AA, 99, or 10x. Unless you are considering folding to AcKc which is too tight IMO. Have to ask yourself how many 10x hands are in his range at this point in the tournament? If he has 99 or AA it's a cooler and can't beat yourself up over coolers or change your play being worried about them. I think your fold makes more sense considering how deep you are before the hand starts though. Not a bad play necessarily, just some things to consider.

Hope the input helps! Good luck out there!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since this is a highroller MTT, you should stick close to GTO lines, unless you have info about the opponent. And one thing, solvers almost never do, is to bet flop for value and then fold to a raise. So if you were not ready to stack off here, you should have checked. Yes its a jam, but its only slightly over pot. Or to put it another way, if he had just called, would you then have check-folded a blank turn like 2d? I guess, the answer is no. So why then do you want to fold now? He would probably have 4-bet AA and slowplayed a boat, so you are really only losing to trips. Which yes, he can have that, but only a few suited combos, if he defend the GTO range. Stick it in, and if he has it, then good for him.

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for your input. I learned a lot. I put him on fd, straight draws, JJ, QQ, and Tx and I made a call, this time he got. He got JTo (I was suprised that he called preflop)

H

HATOOEASY

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Population are pretty much never bluffing in this spot, EVER, especially this early on in a comp. Its an exploit move to get sticky opponents to stack off with overpairs, draws. Villains showing up with a 10 most of the time, or, the nut flush draw but even then its such an unconventional line for villain to just pile here in a 1.5K tournament with a draw. Your sizing is off for sure - unblocking clubs there may be some protection merit to sizing up slightly higher than 1/3, but even then theres a ton of bottom end of range hands that villain snap folds when you go big (losing a ton of EV as a result) that you may induce to float by going smaller OTF e.g underpairs to the board.

Last edited:
Folding in Poker