$150 NLHE MTT Turbo Rebuy: Short Stacked play, Use the big stack as leverage against the other limpers

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$150 NLHE MTT Turbo Rebuy: Short Stacked play, Use the big stack as leverage against the other limpers

This is a Live 155 player MTT Rebuy with Add-on. there are about 40 players left, 18 paid. Blinds are 800/1,600 with a 200 ante so starting pot contains 4,200.

I've been crippled in an unfortunate hand where I barely had my opponent covered, and am now sitting on 9,900 chips (6bbs). And I am in the BB.

The Big stack limps from early position. He has about 400,000 and is limping or raising about 50% of hands and has shown extreme stickiness calling 3bets and short stack all ins with hands like 35o, 85s, T7o etc.

3 other players limp along including the SB. I look down at :10s4::6s4: and the pot contains 9,800 right now including my BB and I have 8,300 behind.

I jam knowing full well that the Big stack is going to at least call me 100% of the time and occasionally he will raise giving me protection. I also know that my hand will be extremely live against his range and I will occasionally be ahead with the highest card. So basically, my thought is to leverage the threat of the big stack to get heads up against a very wide range and to "flip" with a bunch of dead money since my stack is a desperate size anyways and I'm in need of a triple up.

What do we think of this play?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without thinking about it much it looks ok. But we can also check and remove the times where we whiff completely. However since big stack range is so wide we could actually have him dominated. However there is still that chance the others have a hand so im leaning towards checking being the best play overall here. But open to someone working out the ev on it either way.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't mind the shove here either. Only other option is to check and shove the flop if you hit any possibilities at all.

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah I like the check shove the flop especially if you can get any sort of read off him from the flop. I'm partial to that move though.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the shove. I agree that the big stack is going to call 100% of the time, but I only think you'll get protection from him if he's a total idiot. The pot isn't big enough for him to worry about losing this particular pot and he should WANT the help taking you out, so why would he re-raise for protection?

If he doesn't re-raise, you're going to be in a multiway pot with a decent multiway drawing hand --- but you can do the same thing much cheaper by just checking. As a result, checking is the far better play, IMO.

-HooDooKoo

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy shove, dont much thinking here,

hero is far away from getting the money in this mtt if one of the limpers pay (indeed the bigstack will do it and half of time hero will be over) and hero if wins will tripled in a most of time coin flip hand against such a villain

if hero loses anyway she was fading away and the chances to survive were too low (actually if hero doesnt win this hand and folds next ten hands she will find herself with 2 BB)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well my thought in leveraging the big stack is not really that he'll raise the others out of the pot preflop (although he could) .but that the threat of his stack pressuring them throughout the hand will be enough to get them to fold pre. After all, if they wanted to play a big pot preflop; why did they limp? My thought process here might be wrong...

The reason I elected to jam is to limit the field so that if I'm lucky enough to hit a T or a 6 it will be more likely to win.

If I check it's a 5 way pot and I have just under a pot sized bet left. If the flop comes something like KT2 or J64 my hand is much more likely to win heads up than 5ways...I feel like 5 ways I need to make 2 pair or better to win and heads up I may only need 1 pair...

Anyways I jammed, the big stack flatted... Another player tanked then jammed. He had AJo and the big stack had 89o. I caught a T on the turn and quadrupled up. (Because of the dead money)

I realize I got very lucky and I never expect to be ahead here. I guess my whole point was a dead money grab...desperate times desperate measures...

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably check it, we still have enough and are in the blinds to ninja and we need folds to make it profitable I think, would need to run numbers tho

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't mind the move. A juicy to do it spot as you figured. Unexpected.