$150 NLHE MTT Turbo Rebuy: 3 streets of value early in tourney with AA?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
starting stacks 15,000 we are still in the rebuy period. Blinds are 100/200. Table is 10 handed.

I've been pretty inactive and have a stack of 13,500. UTG+1 I have :ac4::as4: and I raise it up to 600.

Button calls (TAG big stack) and the BB calls.

pot contains 1,900. 3 players to a flop.

flop is :qc4::10c4::4d4:

BB checks I bet out 1,200. Button looks agonized then folds. BB calls. I got the feeling that the button folded clubs.

My read on the BB: He is playing a lot of very speculative hands trying to crack monster hands. He has already shown down some pretty weak holdings in 3bet pots such as J7s and 26s. He already rebought once when he got it in with a tiny flush and got called by a bigger flush. He is playing about 30-40% of hands but doesn't show up at the river with less than 2 pair.

turn is :8d4: and pot contains 4,300

BB checks, I bet out 2,500 and he calls. Pot contains 9,300 and I have 9,200 left behind.

River is the :7s4: completing some unlikely straight draws. I'm happy that both flush draws missed as that represented a huge chunk of his range (except I felt the other player folded clubs....)

BB checks to me. I have a pot sized bet left. What to do?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stick it in. Rebuy if you are wrong. Easiest way to think about these spots is to forget about the stuff we lose too or cant get value from and focus on the stuff we can get value from which is qx realistically maybe tx if they are bad.

They will just fold a lot of the time which is fine and a small amount they will call us with better. But overall if he cant have better very often even though we wont get value from his missed draws since its so unlikely the turn and river helped him its important to get max value from stuff that we have trapped mainly qx as mentioned.

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you bet? What is calling you? Exactly QJ No other hand that you have beat makes sense. AQ/KQ are probably repoping you on the flop. There's a lot of 2 pairs in his hand do you think a pot size bet will make him lay it down. Never in the rebuy period. You're in pos. take the free check and show it down.

P

Pavelito51

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you bet? What is calling you? Exactly QJ No other hand that you have beat makes sense. AQ/KQ are probably repoping you on the flop. There's a lot of 2 pairs in his hand do you think a pot size bet will make him lay it down. Never in the rebuy period. You're in pos. take the free check and show it down.

I often check back as well in those spots but against a tag, those lop players I bet 1/3rd

I feel that the check is as weak as the bet so why not betting, just keep in mind that shove is not a good option

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did check it back. He had pocket 3s. And I took the pot.

Just wondering what optimal play is. I think vs a station I should bet but vs a LAG who is trying to crack big hands I think the check back is maybe better...?

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this sort of player will call any bet, he as 33 in a rebuy he gets them in at nearly every stage. AAin a rebuy get them in early players love to crack AA

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always jam river. He calls with worse very often.

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He doesn't call with worse that often. Do you honestly think 33 is calling a river bet here? Even if it is a rebuy. Unless you think he's trying to pick off a missed AK flush draw? It doesn't sound like this kind of guy. You are getting a call from exactly KQ, QJ and maybe AT, but those hands are so unlikely given the way the hand plays out (except AT). KQ/QJ are not that likely because he will reraise the flop to scare away the flush draw and he's certainly not checking the turn with those hands. MJ even says he doesn't show up at the river without 2 pair or less. Your raise is going to get a one pair hand to go away and you're getting called only by hands that have you beat. Of course a check against a TAG is better. Take the free check.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small value bet about 3-4k , hoping what villain call with any pair...

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would be optimal to go bigger on turn so we have a more comfortable river bet. Sounds like the type of villain who will just donk lead his stronger hands, so we have to worry bout 2 pair combos but I'd tank for a bit then stick it in. I can't see villain folding anything that beats bluffs when we give him a better price by sizing differently. It's definitely not the prettiest of runouts tho

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check, the pot is already too big and hero´s got only a pair, it´s not a flush nor a set nor straight not even 2 pairs,

what reason could have any player to pay a tight opponent all his chips with pocket 33? the kind of maniacs who pay this kind of jams dont bother to play postflop they just reraise the flop and go allin preflop,

so if you jam be sure that most of times you get paid you will lose your chips

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He doesn't call with worse that often. Do you honestly think 33 is calling a river bet here? Even if it is a rebuy. Unless you think he's trying to pick off a missed AK flush draw? It doesn't sound like this kind of guy. You are getting a call from exactly KQ, QJ and maybe AT, but those hands are so unlikely given the way the hand plays out (except AT). KQ/QJ are not that likely because he will reraise the flop to scare away the flush draw and he's certainly not checking the turn with those hands. MJ even says he doesn't show up at the river without 2 pair or less. Your raise is going to get a one pair hand to go away and you're getting called only by hands that have you beat. Of course a check against a TAG is better. Take the free check.

My bad, I didn't realise villains entire range on the river is 33.

This is why people shouldn't reveal results because you can't look past his showdown hand.

I don't think he's raising Qx on the flop that often at all. He would just fold out all hands he already beats except a FD which is a tiny range for both hero and other villain.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this sort of player will call any bet, he as 33 in a rebuy he gets them in at nearly every stage. AAin a rebuy get them in early players love to crack AA

Suppose I should have mentioned this is NOT an unlimited rebuy tourney.

There is 1 rebuy max per player, and my opponent in this hand has already used his 1 rebuy, and I have not. That does affect the mindset somewhat. While the play is definitely looser during the rebuy period, it is nothing like those online $1 unlimited rebuy pushfests where players are getting married to weak hands left and right.

I simply disagree with the description of live rebuy players as getting all in with hands like 33 every chance they can get. maybe you've experienced this online (I have not) But I have never experienced it live. Rebuys are loose, but in this tourney to rebuy still means you have to pull a benjamin out of your pocket....most people treat a hundred dollar bill with at least some respect; donkey or not nobody is made of money (at least not where I play)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
33 probably folds. But checking pridouces the same resukt without giving away info.

The question then becomes what range of hands would you assume they calm with here jacki? Live plays a lot diff to online but I still think people will overvalue a lot of hands we have dominated here. But at the end of the day your opinion about their range matters most as you have more live exp than anyone here most likely..

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
33 probably folds. But checking pridouces the same resukt without giving away info.

The question then becomes what range of hands would you assume they calm with here jacki? Live plays a lot diff to online but I still think people will overvalue a lot of hands we have dominated here. But at the end of the day your opinion about their range matters most as you have more live exp than anyone here most likely..

I don't know if you know this but iv played like 3 live tournament so I'm pretty much an expert

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
starting stacks 15,000 we are still in the rebuy period. Blinds are 100/200. Table is 10 handed.

I've been pretty inactive and have a stack of 13,500. UTG+1 I have :ac4::as4: and I raise it up to 600.

Button calls (TAG big stack) and the BB calls.

pot contains 1,900. 3 players to a flop.

flop is :qc4::10c4::4d4:

BB checks I bet out 1,200. Button looks agonized then folds. BB calls. I got the feeling that the button folded clubs.

My read on the BB: He is playing a lot of very speculative hands trying to crack monster hands. He has already shown down some pretty weak holdings in 3bet pots such as J7s and 26s. He already rebought once when he got it in with a tiny flush and got called by a bigger flush. He is playing about 30-40% of hands but doesn't show up at the river with less than 2 pair.

turn is :8d4: and pot contains 4,300

BB checks, I bet out 2,500 and he calls. Pot contains 9,300 and I have 9,200 left behind.

River is the :7s4: completing some unlikely straight draws. I'm happy that both flush draws missed as that represented a huge chunk of his range (except I felt the other player folded clubs....)

BB checks to me. I have a pot sized bet left. What to do?

Very unlikely anyone folds a club draw in a multiway pot in a rebuy.

You shove river for value and if he calls and has us beat, we just rebuy. Given there are draws that missed, this guy either has a draw himself which he's folding or has a hand he can pay us off with. There are plenty of hands he can pay us off with and given it's a rebuy he's likely more inclined to call off with tons of worse hands. We have to also remember there are lots of hands we could of been semi bluffing the flop and turn with so we have to factor in when we shove as a bluff, he can hero call even wider. Hell, we could even turn a hand like 55 into a bluff in his eyes.

The key here is, it's a rebuy and the guy seems the sort who would pay off much worse. Ranges widen a lot, especially calling ranges on this specific run out. Our hand is like the nuts given everything here and I'm very happy shoving and being good a lot.

Last edited:
R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just looked through the thread and seen you told us he had 33.

Please don't post results. I mean, it's irrelevant but I think checking back was bad not because he has 33 and theres no value but because it's a spot he's either folding or calling and 33 is the bottom of his range here so he has so much better a lot of the time here he's paying us off with.

I've seen some ridiculous calls in rebuys, I'm sure he'd fold here but I wouldn't be surprised to see anything call in a rebuy even 33.