€150 NL HE MTT: €150 NL HE MTT: KK on early stage in a deep-stacked bounty tournament

B

Banana880

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Deep Stacked
  2. Bounty
Currency
Hello all,

there is a hand which was played yesterday in a local live bounty tournament with around 60 players. Buy-In 150€ (100 + 50 Bounty). Most of players are recreationals and are unknown to me. I have a tight image, but not sure if anyone takes care of it at all.
9 Players, blinds are 400/800, no ante.

I am on BU holding KK.

Villain on UTG (who was tight all the time) opens 2.5 BB (2000). Everyone is folding to me (BU).

Usually, it is an automatic 3bet, but I do not like to play my strong hands every time the same way, so I decide to just call.

Hero calls.

Flop (5200, 2 players): AK5 rainbow.

Villain checks.
I decide to check back due to many reasons. If he do not have an ace, I probably get value only from one Cbet what i can fire on turn, and if he got one, I probably can get enough value on later streets. There are no scare cards for me on the turn. So, IMHO check back is the best choice here.
Hero checks.

Turn T

Villain bets 3000

I am still not sure if it is a steal attempt or a value bet. We can eliminate JQ from villain's tight range. Now it consists mostly of lot of Ax hands (including AA) and 55, where he will bet for value, and a complete air like 66-JJ and so on. I decide to 3bet to get maximum value from his hands like AK/AQ/AT and 55.

Hero 3bets 10 000
Villain calls

River (25 200) 7
Now we are almost sure Villain has a strong hand, like a strong ace or a set. AA is still possible, but very unlikely. JQ is also very unlikely.

Villain checks.
Hero bets 13 000
Villain calls.

Your thoughts?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Was the board still rainbow by the river? I guess since villain didn't check jam on the river, he must not have the nuts with QJ. I think the hand is okay as played - I would probably put him on TT+, AT+ and occasionally you will run into AA here that will play this passively just like you checked back your set of kings, which would be a cooler.

B

Banana880

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Yes, the board was still rainbow.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all what was the effective stack size? This is a crucial information for analysing any hand and even more a bounty hand.

Preflop
Dont see much reason to not 3-bet KK to be honest.

Flop
Dont see much reason to not bet second set to be honest. If he improve to third pair, its not like, he is going to play a big pot with that anyway. So really you are hoping, he either bluff the turn or improve to a worse set. But if he wanted to bluff, why would he not bluff the flop? And for him to turn a set has less than 5% chance.

Turn
I dont see, why he cant have QJ, especially when the flop got checked. QJs is certainly a standard open from any seat. But its still likely, you have the best hand, so I am ok raising and try to make up for some of the value, you lost preflop and on the flop.

River
Fine bet for value but impossible to say anything about sizing without knowing the effective stack size.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop: Here you mix up your play simply because you want to mix up your play but I don't think that is a wise move if we have a read on villain here like we have. If you want to mix it up against unkonwns or against players that may react in a way we wouldn't want if we played it more ABC then I get it but in this case (assuming your read is right) we have an UTG open from a tight player and we have KK. This is a huge mistake not to 3 bet here and get value. Not only get more value now but set up larger bets on future streets so you really need to be 3 betting here. Agree with FunDiver above that stack size is important for any hand we play and not knowing what the stacks are here analysis from everyone can only be limited.

Flop: As played I still think this is a bet but I don't think its the worst check back in the world. You believe they are tight and have a narrow range from UTG so 55 is out the window. The only thing that beats us then is AA and I believe QQ-1010 (which should be a decent chunk of their range if they are tight like you say) would still call a bet here assuming you don't nuke them off the pot. I think the best play would be to bet something like 35-40% and make it look like a stab at the pot since they checked to you.

Turn: 10 brings a straight out and villain bets. I think with being in position here its not terrible to flat call and try to trap villain on the river (although some risk of Q or J on river which would be ugly) but its better to raise and try to get value. Raising is better due to action killing cards (if they have Ax) and also cards that could come to complete a straight. Plus, we want to build a pot when we have a set. When they call our raise here I think its really only A10, or 1010 that would just call that fits their perceived tight opening range.

River: Blank card assuming it did not bring in a flush so I would have villain on A10 (which I think they would c bet flop with), 1010, AA, or QJ. I tend to think QJ and AA would have re raised our raise on the turn and not just flatted (depending on stack sizes) so I am leaning towards 1010 which is bad to narrow villain to one hand but if they really are tight pre and then just call a raise turn on this board I don't see them sitting there with QQ. With that and discounting QJ and AA due to flat on turn I would bet as you did here. Sizing seems fine but stack sizes would dictate it. Interested in finding out what villain had.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play some more of those live tourns around that buyin and go play some online freerolls and see how different the players are.

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello all,

there is a hand which was played yesterday in a local live bounty tournament with around 60 players. Buy-In 150€ (100 + 50 Bounty). Most of players are recreationals and are unknown to me. I have a tight image, but not sure if anyone takes care of it at all.
9 Players, blinds are 400/800, no ante.

I am on BU holding KK.

Villain on UTG (who was tight all the time) opens 2.5 BB (2000). Everyone is folding to me (BU).

Usually, it is an automatic 3bet, but I do not like to play my strong hands every time the same way, so I decide to just call.

Hero calls.

Flop (5200, 2 players): AK5 rainbow.

Villain checks.
I decide to check back due to many reasons. If he do not have an ace, I probably get value only from one Cbet what i can fire on turn, and if he got one, I probably can get enough value on later streets. There are no scare cards for me on the turn. So, IMHO check back is the best choice here.
Hero checks.

Turn T

Villain bets 3000

I am still not sure if it is a steal attempt or a value bet. We can eliminate JQ from villain's tight range. Now it consists mostly of lot of Ax hands (including AA) and 55, where he will bet for value, and a complete air like 66-JJ and so on. I decide to 3bet to get maximum value from his hands like AK/AQ/AT and 55.

Hero 3bets 10 000
Villain calls

River (25 200) 7
Now we are almost sure Villain has a strong hand, like a strong ace or a set. AA is still possible, but very unlikely. JQ is also very unlikely.

Villain checks.
Hero bets 13 000
Villain calls.

Your thoughts?
When we are deep and in position we can always play our KK the same way preflop in a SRP we always 3 bet. We dominate soo many hands and we do not want to go multiway allowing players to realize equity vs us.
In bounty tournaments we want to build big pots to get stacks we do not flat KK deep stacked

We do not need to get tricky in tournaments where we hardly ever see anyone often enough for them to know our ranges.
For example would you not raise JJ TT JTs AK AQs AJs QQ 54s- how does the V know we have KK? vs even this very tight range with only one bluff combo?

Flop checking is fine but we need to know what our plan is going forward
This is a bounty MTT how do we get the bounty if we check back flop?

Turn we cannot rule out QJs from the V's range we do not know them well enough---55 should bet the flop AA would check most often but not in a bounty MTT-they want to bet small to build the pot

When we raise V does not have QJ for a flat
We want to think about what V thinks we have? AA no KK no AK no So we have TT AT or QJ maybe KT
What bluffs does the V think we have? Think about what you would bluff vs a tight V on this board?
What does the V do with AA on turn?

:unsure::geek: