$15 NLHE MTT: $Final Stage Sat NLHE MTT: [Satellite] 5 remaining with 3 getting paid $1100 entry.

E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$15 NLHE MTT: $Final Stage Sat NLHE MTT: [Satellite] 5 remaining with 3 getting paid $1100 entry.

Sb: 162,878 (27 Bb)
Bb: 144,809 (24 Bb)
Utg: 131,678 (22 Bb)
Hero: 58,445 (10 Bb)
Button: 212,190 (35 Bb)

Hero with :8h4::9h4:
Preflop:
12,750 in the pot, utg folds, Hero min raises to 12,000, fold, fold, Bb calls.

Flop:
:5c4::8s4::3c4:

30,750 in the pot.
Villain Checks, Hero bets 1/2 pot for 15,375, Villain Calls.

Turn: :7h4:

61,500 in the pot, Hero has 30,320 behind, Villain Shoves

Hero???

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
You only start the hand with 10BB, and you are by far the shortest stack, which mean, everyone else can push you around. For that reason I would play push or fold here, and 98s from CO is kind of marginal. I dont like min-raising, because I think, you are just inviting everyone behind to 3-bet you light, and even when BB defends by just calling, he can apply pressure postflop, which is exactly, what ended up happening.

Flop
You flopped top pair with incredibly few chips left behind, so for me this is an easy stack-off. Betting half pot on the flop is fine, and the plan should then be to call it of, if he check-jam and get the rest in on the turn, if he call and check to you again.

Turn
The opponent now leads out now putting you all-in, and obviously you could be beat. But even so I am never folding here. You already have half your chips in the pot, and if you fold, you will be left with just 5BB and almost no chance to win a ticket. So you just have to close your eyes and hope, he is bluffing, or that you improve on the river and suck out on him. You have a gutshot, so you are never drawing dead.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sb: 162,878 (27 Bb)
Bb: 144,809 (24 Bb)
Utg: 131,678 (22 Bb)
Hero: 58,445 (10 Bb)
Button: 212,190 (35 Bb)

Hero with :8h4::9h4:
Preflop:
12,750 in the pot, utg folds, Hero min raises to 12,000, fold, fold, Bb calls.

Flop:
:5c4::8s4::3c4:

30,750 in the pot.
Villain Checks, Hero bets 1/2 pot for 15,375, Villain Calls.

Turn: :7h4:

61,500 in the pot, Hero has 30,320 behind, Villain Shoves

Hero???

Thank you for posting

Preplanning hands is a skill we want to develop.

We work on that skill off table to make it easier in game.

How do we work on it- by taking a hand like this and asking questions about each decision.

Preflop
First question is not what hand we have. First question is how will V stack size effect how our V play.
Before we think about our cards we need to know the 2 largest stacks are left to act. That means they can call or raise us easily if we min open.
We then think about our hand strength not range? Why not range? Our stack size at 10bb.
We do not have the chips to run a multi street bluff therefore we cannot play our entire range the same way.

What kind of hand is 89s what is it's highest equity return?- how well does it play for your stack size?

89s is a decent board coverage hand not great heads up as a one pair hand and realizes it's highest equity by seeing all 3 streets when it does not flop the nuts. By knowing this before we play it it helps us better understand how to play it in this spot.

So as not to write a book on preplanning hands------ with the above data as played what is our strongest bet sizing on flop with just one pair with no good redraws? Do we want to end this hand on the flop some % of the time? What sizing does that?

Hope this helps
:):):)

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should've jammed pre-flop.

His value range is narrow, probably something like 35, 64, 69, 75, slowplayed 85 and of course the sets, mostly 33s, because he should play his 55, 77 and 88 more often than not as 3-bet shove pre. He has a small portion of his range as slowplayed monsters like AA and KK. You have blockers to the better 8s such as 85, 88, T8+ and 69.

He has more good bluffs than value bets, and you beat them all. Clubs, 6x, 9x, T9, JT, ace highs with a gutshot (specially with a A6 or a A9), K3 A3 and 5x are probably good bluffs here too. You only block 9x and T9 here.

Easy call here unless you have a really strong read/stats on the villain.

Last edited:
E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
You only start the hand with 10BB, and you are by far the shortest stack, which mean, everyone else can push you around. For that reason I would play push or fold here, and 98s from CO is kind of marginal. I dont like min-raising, because I think, you are just inviting everyone behind to 3-bet you light, and even when BB defends by just calling, he can apply pressure postflop, which is exactly, what ended up happening.

I had been at this final table for an hour already, everyone left was playing fit or fold. It had been very profitable to min raise for at least 4 levels, no one would 3 bet light, calls/folds per orbit was way higher than 3bets per orbit.

3-bet ranges were so tight because calling ranges were tight. The table was not punishing me with light 3 bets.
I went from big stack to short stack in a QQ v 99 preflop and an AJ v A9.

Im now the shortstack, light 3 bets havent been happening, min raising once or twice per orbit is printing chips.

Flop
You flopped top pair with incredibly few chips left behind, so for me this is an easy stack-off. Betting half pot on the flop is fine, and the plan should then be to call it of, if he check-jam and get the rest in on the turn, if he call and check to you again.
Villain has consistently been folding to 1/3 pot cbets, in this spot i want to bet 1/2 pot, I want this pot. Im expectin 90% Folds

Turn
The opponent now leads out now putting you all-in, and obviously you could be beat. But even so I am never folding here. You already have half your chips in the pot, and if you fold, you will be left with just 5BB and almost no chance to win a ticket. So you just have to close your eyes and hope, he is bluffing, or that you improve on the river and suck out on him. You have a gutshot, so you are never drawing dead.
I'm seriously confused here, Villain always plays in flow, he never leads in this spot yet.

I have shown strong lay downs in spots where hes obvious with his J10 (And shows) vs my AJ on a J10x board with 2 suits.

Everything in my gut tells me fold, but I look at the price, think about the spot, determine I cant fold because I'll be exploited and call.

Villain shows 69o with 1 club.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me its a painful shove. We are the only one who not have playable chips, and we are eager not to loose more. Everyone has an ICM pressure, so they not only have to pay attention that if they are calling you they can jump off to the last place in the 5 of you, but if they are not sitting on the BB still some pretty similar stacks as theirs are going on.
So you could paralise the actions with your shove, and only get a call by relatively stronger hands. Which can be not happened, but 89s just looking a very confident chasing hand, and your position and stack size make it sell like a way too better pre-combination as well. So its a strategic all-in on my side.

E

Endwarfin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting

Preplanning hands is a skill we want to develop.

We work on that skill off table to make it easier in game.

How do we work on it- by taking a hand like this and asking questions about each decision.

Preflop
First question is not what hand we have. First question is how will V stack size effect how our V play.
Before we think about our cards we need to know the 2 largest stacks are left to act. That means they can call or raise us easily if we min open.
We then think about our hand strength not range? Why not range? Our stack size at 10bb.
We do not have the chips to run a multi street bluff therefore we cannot play our entire range the same way.

What kind of hand is 89s what is it's highest equity return?- how well does it play for your stack size?

89s is a decent board coverage hand not great heads up as a one pair hand and realizes it's highest equity by seeing all 3 streets when it does not flop the nuts. By knowing this before we play it it helps us better understand how to play it in this spot.

So as not to write a book on preplanning hands------ with the above data as played what is our strongest bet sizing on flop with just one pair with no good redraws? Do we want to end this hand on the flop some % of the time? What sizing does that?

Hope this helps
:):):)

Thank you, I needed to hear all these questions.

Poker Tells