$15 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Defending BB with pocket jacks. Ended up knocking me out. Did I play this right?

V

Vagabond99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$15 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Defending BB with pocket jacks. Ended up knocking me out. Did I play this right?

Hi all,
Long time lurker first time poster.

I've been getting heavily into MTTs recently. I recognise that I'm still an intermediate player at best but I have noticed a big improvement to my game in the past few months. Usually it's a horrendus beat that knocks me out of tournaments.

Here's a hand that led to me being knocked out. It wasn't a bad beat, but it's really stuck in my head and I'm not sure if I've played this terribly (I may have).

Last 222 out of a tournament (900+ entrants). Getting close to ITM. I have 22k chips, villain has 30k.

Dealt JJ in BB spot. All folds to SB who raises 3x.

I make the judgement that this guy is just trying to steal with trash (a correct judgement in the end) so I raise. He re-raises and I call.

Flop is:

QK8 rainbow.

He places a min bet. I sniff again that this is just a weak C-bet. So pause and decide to go all in. Thinking that I'm representing A-K, A-Q or K-Q. There's no way after a re-raise to all in that this guy is calling with a top/mid pair.

But he calls. His hand was K-4 unsuited.

I'm knocked out.

Please give me any feedback on this as this one has driven me nuts and led me to open my account here. How can this guy call an all in with just a top pair?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't figure out what the blinds were but pretty much all-in pre.

R

Rory1337

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why you woulld call his re raise especially since if he hits his flop with q k or a junk you lose alot of your equity. If you re raised all in you would have been a sure favourite and of course had some generated fold equity. But by shoving that flop is a bit too far, if you're going to put him on stealing junk, you need to atleast expect a king or at very MINIMUM to be a queen. I know getting knocked out sucks, but trying to take down a pot on a board of overcards is not the best idea you can have against a junk house villain.

V

Vagabond99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys.

blinds were 200/400

I did consider going all in preflop, but I've done that in the past and found it way too risky as they may actually have a premium hand.

I only got knocked out an hour ago. I'm still smarting after playing so well to that point, but I am starting to see that going all in when i did was a mistake.

But at the same time, if I had the villains hand, I don't think I'd ever call an all in with the flop being KQ8 and me having K-4.

I can't help feeling he's an idiot for calling an all in with that hand. That's what bugs me the most, I was representing such a strong hand.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Def get it in pre, remember that since it is BvB we actually crush his value range, especially makes no sense to call and then get it all in on one of the worst boards for our hand, so much got there and we pretty much only fold out smaller pairs and A high which we beat as played.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get it in pre..

why jam the flop, you fold out worse and get snapped by K4o..

if you think he has bluffs then float instead of pushing out his whole bluff range.

you're not repping AA/AK/KK/QQ etc because most of those would and should have 5 bet shipped it pre.

called a shove with TP in a 4 bet pot, don't see how thats bad..

his hand was bad and shouldn't of been there, but you can't really fold TP because of the SPR.

also stack sizes are irrelevant without blinds.

thats all I can think of now..

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't help feeling he's an idiot for calling an all in with that hand. That's what bugs me the most, I was representing such a strong hand.

And this is where you're completely at fault (once you've already called pre which is v. bad). You only have yourself to blame for your elimination if you failed to realise that he wasn't think about your hand. As a poker player you have to adjust to each opponent and ultimately you failed to do that which is what lead to your elimination. You really can't blame anyone elses poor play when it was your own lack of competence in adjusting that cost you. Of course it's always easier on the ego to accuse someone else of being an idiot whilst overlooking our own deficiencies.

B

BigThingWithHolesInIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^That would be an excellent rant for preaching humility into someone who can't admit he's doing stuff wrong. But you seem to have overlooked the fact that he actually went ahead and made a thread asking whether he played it terribly.
Too many people on this forum are being very condescending when they post.
It is by far the least constructive way to point out someone's mistakes.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
Long time lurker first time poster.

I've been getting heavily into MTTs recently. I recognise that I'm still an intermediate player at best but I have noticed a big improvement to my game in the past few months. Usually it's a horrendus beat that knocks me out of tournaments.

Here's a hand that led to me being knocked out. It wasn't a bad beat, but it's really stuck in my head and I'm not sure if I've played this terribly (I may have).

Last 222 out of a tournament (900+ entrants). Getting close to ITM. I have 22k chips, villain has 30k.

Dealt JJ in BB spot. All folds to SB who raises 3x.

I make the judgement that this guy is just trying to steal with trash (a correct judgement in the end) so I raise. He re-raises and I call.

Not this. Ever. 4-bet shove here against everyone but the absolutely nittiest of opponents.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
^That would be an excellent rant for preaching humility into someone who can't admit he's doing stuff wrong. But you seem to have overlooked the fact that he actually went ahead and made a thread asking whether he played it terribly.
+1

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah allin pre and as played fold flop.