No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Rebuy
Currency
$
Day 1 B of 1200 main event in CO. 130 entrants , 15 advance. I have 55,000 in the big blind with blinds 1000/2000. I defend my big blind from a 5,000 chip bet from UTG with J7s with two other callers. Flop comes KJ7 rainbow. I lead with a pot size bet 22,000) and UTG comes over the top to put me all in. He is a good, aggressive player that rarely gets crazy. I probably have the same reputation, maybe slightly tighter. Assuming he is not out of line, I put him on AA, AKa set (two of which I block) or KJ or K7 (both of which I block). I believe AK or AA are more likely. A fold leaves me with 14BB. Call and Knocked out when he shows KK. Thoughts?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: We have less than 30 BBs and we are defending from an UTG open against a player that we say in our own words is a good aggressive player. So why are we defending here? We are not super deep so we can of course accumulate chips but its not like we can get 100 BBs in chips from defending here. This opponent raised from UTG giving them a higher chance of a good hand meaning we should be defending less combined with this is not a min open but a 2.5x open so math also dictates we should defend less. Lastly, you say they are good and aggressive... then how do we plan to outplay them out of position during the hand? Maybe you have an answer to that as you were at the table and I was not but we have to know this before we call here. Without knowing anything about you or the table dynamics I feel this may have been an unfortunate situation where if you were dealt J7 off you would have folded without thinking about it but since they were suited you felt like you "had to" defend.

Flop: We have an SPR of 2.5 to 1... why are we leading pot here? Again, in your own words this is a player that is good and aggressive meaning they will c bet often so why not just check and let them bet? Leading here, full pot especially, gives them a reason to get out of this hand. I dont want AQ to have a reason to get out of this hand or QQ. Just check here and let the aggressive villain bet. If they check behind its not the end of the world either as you can bet turn for just over 10k to setup a river jam. As played, you bet pot and they jam over you... what do you put them on that is less than what you have that does this? The flop is rainbow so there are less draws to worry about (only straight draws). You mention AA... I think a villain like you are describing just calls with AA as they would not want you to only continue with better hands if they were to raise. The raise here would tell me something big. I dont think I would fold either in your shoes as played but I would never have got myself in this spot calling pre and then leading for pot. What you wound up doing was taking your own options away in the hand since you are committed after leading pot there with 2 pair imo.

The way to play this hand was to fold pre. If you did defend then you should have checked to the raiser who you knew was aggressive and let them bet. From there if you want to call to keep in their bluffs and one pair hands thats good and depending on their sizing if you want to get it in over them should they make a large bet on the flop thats fine too (although, against an agg I think calling is better with no intention of folding). Losing all your chips on this hand ONCE YOU CALLED PRE is not bad but its how you played the hand post flop that is not good in the long run. It will make you win the least when you flop it big and of course big hand vs big hand with under 30 BBs you will lose it all anyway but the takeaway is how to extract the most when you are ahead and that is not by leading here and especially leading with a pot sized bet.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 1 B of 1200 main event in CO. 130 entrants , 15 advance. I have 55,000 in the big blind with blinds 1000/2000. I defend my big blind from a 5,000 chip bet from UTG with J7s with two other callers. Flop comes KJ7 rainbow. I lead with a pot size bet 22,000) and UTG comes over the top to put me all in. He is a good, aggressive player that rarely gets crazy. I probably have the same reputation, maybe slightly tighter. Assuming he is not out of line, I put him on AA, AKa set (two of which I block) or KJ or K7 (both of which I block). I believe AK or AA are more likely. A fold leaves me with 14BB. Call and Knocked out when he shows KK. Thoughts?
We can fold preflop-

On the flop we want to have goals for our hand -what was your goal when you led pot into UTG?

Typical goals for leading pot are based on polarized ranges
1 to get folds- 2 pair hands do not need that much fold equity so we would seldom lead pot at this stack depth to get fold equity

2 to get stacks in--- so why are we not getting stacks in?

Your SPR is the study point of this hand

you have 27.5 bb - 1bb BB -2.5bb call the raise- you now have 24bb we will ignore the ante - the pot is 11bb before we act we pot
our stack is13bb the pot is 59bb we need to call 13 to win 72bb we need 18% equity to call

Equilab is a great free App

Vs AA KK JJ AKo-s KJs-o
we have 56.9% equity- from equilab

MY point is when we pot lead this flop we are in truth going all-in---we need to know this before we lead pot if ever we want to fold.

:unsure::geek:

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If AA was in his range why wasn't KK? I think 300HPGOD made a very good summary of what wnt wrong with your logic.
Always let a LAG lead the dance when you are confident you are ahead.
He appears to have limped pre-flop and that from a LAG is suspicious too.
Defending OOP with JTs is also too loose

H

HATOOEASY

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
This is a pure check board. You should never be leading when you’re playing a somewhat capped range and you flop this strongly vs an opponent who has both the range/nut advantage and will blast into you as a result. You lose a ton of EV donk leading here when villain has **** all (e.g 22-55). Check and let villain spaz. As played, you’re never folding, especially at this stack depth. If villain has better then good luck to him but you’re way too high up in your range (plus you block JJ/77, unblock AK) to even think for even one second that you should be clicking that fold button (and if you do fold you’re definitely overfolding (easily exploitable) + theres a bunch of hands you’re still ahead against that villain shoves e.g KQ, AK.

Last edited: