$11 NLHE STT: 99 on bubble medium stack

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker $10 + $1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t60/t120 Blinds - 4 players - View hand 1241198
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter
CO: t1730 14.42 BBs
BTN: t4005 33.38 BBs
Hero (SB): t1920 16 BBs
BB: t5845 48.71 BBs
Pre Flop: (t180) Hero is SB with 9 9
CO calls t120, 1 fold, Hero raises to t360, BB calls t240, 1 fold
Flop: (t840) 8 6 T (2 players)
Hero??

BB was playing pretty tight and was usually folding to my small raises. With a huge stack right behind me, is it a better play to just open shove even with 16BB? I figure a big stack is going to call with all sorts of drawing hands and shove with his medium and strong hands if there is a normal size bet. If I just open shove though, he generally isnt going to play the medium strength or drawing hands and ill be all in anyway if he has a big hand. As played though is it a good move to just shove the flop and hope he didnt hit?

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably shove this flop as played. If he's been playing tight the only hands you should be worried about are A10, K10 (& the odd set). Possibly JQs which you're well ahead of.
Anything that spiked a two pair wouldn't call pre.
With CO still to act pre flop he needs a big(ish) hand to flat here, and would probably let the two smaller stack battle it out if he had a marginal hand.
Anyone disagree with shoving flop?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First time I read this I completely missed the CO limp, that makes this a pretty easy shove. Yes it's 16bb's but your equity in the tournament at this point is not good and raising commits 20% of your stack. If you raise you have to get through two opponents, which isn't going to happen the majority of the time. Now you're playing out of position in a huge pot where you're almost never going to like the flop unless you flop a set.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so a shove here is best but then what does that mean for the normal steal hands? should I be shoving the button with hands like J10s or anything marginal like that or should I just tighten up a little bit?

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so a shove here is best but then what does that mean for the normal steal hands? should I be shoving the button with hands like J10s or anything marginal like that or should I just tighten up a little bit?

No, I think you should make normal steal raise on button when opening. JTs is good steal hand. I would rather steal with that than 55 or smaller. These small PP's actually suck to steal with. You don't have to raise 3x BB make it like 2.25-2.5x BB. Like 260-300 or so is good. No need to open shove with 16 BB's IMO.

As for the hand you posted shove preflop for sure. You are not even close to deep enough to set mine and not even to raise/fold. So if you are gonna play it(which you should) then you gotta shove it. By raising you are building a huge pot OOP and are pretty much committed.

As for open shoving the flop, that's what I would do. I wouldn't be in this situation cause I woulda shove/folded preflop but if I had, then I would shove the flop. Even if you aren't ahead(which you prolly are) then you have fold equity and a GSSD so I think shoving is your only move. You committed too many chips preflop to not try to take it down post flop IMO.