$11 NLHE MTT: Short spot in The Big 11. Is this a fold, shove or something else?

P

ParasOsa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
35 left in the big 11.

poker stars, $10 Buy-in (8,000/16,000 blinds, 2,000 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
Poker Tools by CardRunners - Hand Details

SB: 480,146 (30 bb)
Hero (BB): 198,971 (12.4 bb)
UTG+1: 624,215 (39 bb)
UTG+2: 958,294 (59.9 bb)
MP1: 194,366 (12.1 bb)
MP2: 161,514 (10.1 bb)
MP3: 228,524 (14.3 bb)
CO: 213,998 (13.4 bb)
BTN: 1,002,011 (62.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3♣ T♣
2 folds, MP1 calls 16,000, 4 folds, SB completes, Hero checks

Flop: (66,000) J♥ 8♣ A♣(3 players)
SB bets 32,000

If I shove I'm practically saying that I have a weak FD? So is it good enough? MP1's limp is odd, haven't seen him do that before.

What is your move?

dnegsisabadreg

dnegsisabadreg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MP1's limp pre looks fairly strong. Assuming he's a competent player he shouldn't be limping to fold with anything given his stack size. This really depends on your view of him as a player. If you think he's a fish then maybe he's just clicking buttons with ATC. But I would lean toward strength.

SB's lead on this flop looks like a weak ace or maybe a jack to me, but given our stack size we don't really have any fold equity against those hands. Also, once in a while SB might show up with something like Qc2c that has us just dead.

I think I would end up folding because we're usually behind here, and no better hand folds if we shove. But shoving can't be terrible as we usually have ~40% equity and there's already a decent amount in the pot. You didn't mention anything about ICM, but I have to imagine ladders are becoming relatively significant at this point. If so, I would lean more towards a fold.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding, we have zero FE on a shove and there is still a player left to act who won't be open limping very wide on his stack. All we have is a flush draw, we have to fold to resistance on such a shallow stack depth.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didn't mention anything about ICM, but I have to imagine ladders are becoming relatively significant at this point. If so, I would lean more towards a fold.
ICM is absolutely irrelevant in this situation with 35 players left and the next payjump being at 27th place. At this point we shouldn't be playing to ladder, we should be going for the final table and trying to build a stack to get there with a good stack.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MP1's limp pre looks fairly strong. Assuming he's a competent player he shouldn't be limping to fold with anything given his stack size. This really depends on your view of him as a player. If you think he's a fish then maybe he's just clicking buttons with ATC. But I would lean toward strength.

SB's lead on this flop looks like a weak ace or maybe a jack to me, but given our stack size we don't really have any fold equity against those hands. Also, once in a while SB might show up with something like Qc2c that has us just dead.

I think I would end up folding because we're usually behind here, and no better hand folds if we shove. But shoving can't be terrible as we usually have ~40% equity and there's already a decent amount in the pot. You didn't mention anything about ICM, but I have to imagine ladders are becoming relatively significant at this point. If so, I would lean more towards a fold.

why would you think MP1 limp is strong? what gives you that idea? OP clearly doesn't have a read on him, so it's just another limping fish as far as i'm concerned. any competent player would only be doing this with AA KK as a trap with likely aggro players behind him to justify it. Since we don't have that read, it's usually the more common scenario where it's just a fish limping with a good looking hand, what that hand is depends on the villian.

We are of course behind here, we have T high, a really weak draw. agree it's a pretty simple fold considering the SB lead out into two players, so it's more than likely a decently strong Ax type hand that just won't fold to our jam ever.

ICM as trent mentioned has no bearing here at all, not until the pay jumps get big, like maybe final table, sometimes only 4-5 handed depending on the payout structure.

Folding in Poker