$.11 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Deep Stack BB Defense Against Short Stack CO All In

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get a big stack advantage very often, so I wasn't sure how to play this spot. I would appreciate any advice on how to play this hand.
  • It's about halfway through a 5 hour late registration $0.11 Freezeout.
  • I am in the BB with A10o and a healthy 180 BB sitting about 3/80 with about 2.5 hours of late registration remaining.
  • UTG with 13 BB limps into the pot.
  • It folds down to CO who shoves 21 BB.
  • It folds down to me in the BB with my 180 BB and the UTG behind me with 12 BB.
Even though I would normally put someone shoving 20 BB on a hand like QQ+, AQo+, A10s+, which I'm flipping for against at best, my gut feeling said it was an easy call because of my huge stack, even with the UTG still to act with his 12 BB. But then I started thinking about how all the money is really at the final table, and I'd be potentially sacrificing my very solid position in the tournament to be flipping at best and more likely be behind... So I ultimately folded even though I sensed that the "correct" play would have been to call. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how this should be played.

- Sundizzel

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of this might go out the window since it is an 11 cent tourney and villains are hard to predict since they wont usually make the play that is best for them. In this case it is a freezeout which makes a difference here as if it were a rebuy they could be jamming a lot of cards here and still could be but less likely. If the UTG player was limp folding a ton that would play into this too. For me, I would be thinking is the CO going to shove 21 BBs here with hands worse than ours (KQ suited which were not crushing, A9 and lower, broadway cards). My first reaction would be no. They wouldnt stuff a stack they still have options with if they have A6 or QJ. Therefore, I think I would give villain the simple range of AJ+ and pocket pairs. That might be too tight but thats what I would go with and fold here. We have a big stack and we want to wield it but we also dont want to piss it away either. Folding here is the safer play and more than likely over time will be the correct play.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Extremely gameflow dependent. Readless I would be folding here as I wouldn't expect ATo to be ahead of a 21bb iso shoving range. If you have seen this opponent previous play aggro/spazzy and can convince yourself they shove worse Ax and some Kx/broadways, call. How tight UTG is factors into this as well, as theoretically UTG does overcall our jam (although very little I expect) and how tight UTG is can affect how wide the 21bb stack shoves, though that assumes the shover is a competent player and I wouldn't assume that in this tournament readless.

88+ AJs+ AQo+ as default imo.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you made the right decision by folding. You are not getting a good price, and AT is not in great shape against any reasonable range, that people would open jam for 20BB. The only reasons, I can see for calling here, is:

a) CO is a wild player, who has been moving all in 3-4 times per orbit.

b) Its a bounty tournament, and CO has a significant bounty on him.

The way to use a big stack in regular tournaments without bountys is not to be "the table sheriff" and try to eliminate other players. Instead you want to put their stack at risk in spots, where they can still fold. This is, how the classic "chip bully" behave, which everyone loves to hate :)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loss of stack - loss of confidence. The worst thing happens when you manage to accumulate a deep stack and you get involved in a showdown with several players. If you feel comfortable at the table, there is no point in risking even 1/9 of your stack. Even a small part may still be useful in the future.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trent and Fundiver are right that this spot is a fold without any reads.

Keep in mind, though, that you shouldn't be adjusting your play this early with late reg still going on based on final table money. You're not going to coast to the FT and need to seize +EV spots. So here, folding was right, but if you thought you would win chips by calling in a future situation then call for sure!

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you to everyone for the excellent advice. Despite it being an $0.11 tournament, analyzing the position and hearing the advice has been quite helpful for future tourneys. All the best to everyone on the tables, and maybe I'll catch you guys in some bigger tourneys one day!