Chips
Last edited:
S

SharkyShark1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah you should have bet on the flop, sometimes slow play isn't the way to go. I understand the fold hurts but I believe it's a good one.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nah you are not crazy at all. I play against you somewhat often and like your game a lot. You sure have no problem dealing with me. Pre flop is fine of course although villain is not super deep here and depending on how they are playing then I guess it could be up for debate but calling is obviously fine.

On the flop you make the right play imo by just checking to the raiser. This range does hit us more than it hits them and probably both us and them know that. I think leading here will chase away some hands you can get value from in later streets if they were to catch up or decide to bluff. When villain checks behind I would rule out all overpairs and be thinking AJ-AK, KJ and KQ primarily. If they had something I think they would bet it to extract value from our one pair hands.

On the turn after the check behind I would bet as you did but I would go smaller. I would not worry to much about villain having 6x and larger bets like the one you made should not get floats from AK or AQ which is what we would be looking for here. I think somewhere under half the pot would do as we are still building the pot, charging enough for any two club hand villain could have and still potentially getting a float call. After villain calls our bet at that sizing it would concern me. AK unless it is AK clubs should not be calling there so I would at least have my wheels turning in my head of what the hell are they checking the flop and calling this bet with that isnt clubs?

River comes a bad card of course and here I dont like your bet. If villain does not have clubs they are never calling and you are not getting anything from your bet. If they have it then they are most likely raising you. I like checking there with evaluating what I would do based on sizing and what I know about the opponent. If I think villain is bluffy, aggro, capable,... whatever description you want to use then I consider bluff catching. Otherwise I fold with decent confidence that I am beat. Leading though, to me, only puts you in a bad spot as you either win no further chips or you get raised as you did. The one good thing about betting though is after the raise I believe you can be pretty confident you got drawn out on.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nah you should have bet on the flop, sometimes slow play isn't the way to go. I understand the fold hurts but I believe it's a good one.

Thanks for the reply. I can't find it in myself to really say checking the flop was wrong, but betting would have been a fine play as well. What a crazy runout!

Nah you are not crazy at all. I play against you somewhat often and like your game a lot. You sure have no problem dealing with me. Pre flop is fine of course although villain is not super deep here and depending on how they are playing then I guess it could be up for debate but calling is obviously fine.

On the flop you make the right play imo by just checking to the raiser. This range does hit us more than it hits them and probably both us and them know that. I think leading here will chase away some hands you can get value from in later streets if they were to catch up or decide to bluff. When villain checks behind I would rule out all overpairs and be thinking AJ-AK, KJ and KQ primarily. If they had something I think they would bet it to extract value from our one pair hands.

On the turn after the check behind I would bet as you did but I would go smaller. I would not worry to much about villain having 6x and larger bets like the one you made should not get floats from AK or AQ which is what we would be looking for here. I think somewhere under half the pot would do as we are still building the pot, charging enough for any two club hand villain could have and still potentially getting a float call. After villain calls our bet at that sizing it would concern me. AK unless it is AK clubs should not be calling there so I would at least have my wheels turning in my head of what the hell are they checking the flop and calling this bet with that isnt clubs?

River comes a bad card of course and here I dont like your bet. If villain does not have clubs they are never calling and you are not getting anything from your bet. If they have it then they are most likely raising you. I like checking there with evaluating what I would do based on sizing and what I know about the opponent. If I think villain is bluffy, aggro, capable,... whatever description you want to use then I consider bluff catching. Otherwise I fold with decent confidence that I am beat. Leading though, to me, only puts you in a bad spot as you either win no further chips or you get raised as you did. The one good thing about betting though is after the raise I believe you can be pretty confident you got drawn out on.
Thanks for the kind words and good analyzation. The way they played the hand was certainly unorthodox. I wish I could have figured out a better way to play the hand at the time. Checking the river probably would have been optimal.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think fold was goood.
He doesnt have you beat here not even nearly often enough to mathematicaly justify folding.
All your plays were fine except the fold.
Check and bluff catch river even if he all ins.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Defending is ok, but folding would not be a big mistake either.

Flop
I prefer a check-raise here, unfortunately you did not get the chance.

Turn
Obviously you need to go for some value now, so the only question is sizing. Checking back the flop has capped his range to mostly random overcards, and to get a hero call from those hands, we probably need to give him a decent price. A 6 could have checked back flop for pot control, but its not a likely holding for him after opening from EP.

River
Pretty bad river since it put a 1-liner to a straight and completed the flush. We could go for a small blocker bet to try to get hero called by two pair, but the issue is, he dont have that very often after checking back flop. If we go back to the flop action, and the range, we put him on, he now either has a flush, which we lose to, or some random overcards, that missed. He is not going to call with random overcards, and our hand is to weak to want to induce a raise. So the best line here is to check. If it goes check-check, we almost always win, and we also have a decent bluffcatcher, so we are not always check-folding.