$11 NLHE Deep Stacked: what do you think?

R

Raffi_AKK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$11 NL HE Deep Stacked: what do you think?

Ok guys, here it is. Been playing poker for quite some time there was a hand I was involved yesterday which kinda had me guessing. It's a regular 180 sng on stars, 11 dollars buy-in, money HAS been reached. I have an average stack of about 11 000 chips. I sit on the SB and I have a shortstack to my left in the BB, with about 2800 chips. Blinds are 300-600 and about to switch to 400-800 the next hand. The guy on the button, to my right, had been shoving it all in every chance he could in unraised pot to iso the shortstack to my left. I can't recall the exact number of times he did this but its more than 5 times. So.. unraised pot, he shoves it in, he has about 12 000 in chips, i look down at A9off. We're pretty deep in the sng and at the time i thought i was 90 percent sure my a9 was good here although there are times he will shove a pair or a better ace but its very unlikely. So I thought i had to make a move to get a great shot at first prize. I don't normally make this call and kinda hope to get a better spot but.. this time I did make the call. He turned over j9off, made a miracle straight on the turn and i got knocked out. The question is.. should I wait for a better spot to put my money in or was that the right play considering i knew i had him beat(most of the time) and build a healthy stack for the final table??

I appreciate it,

Mo

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wait for a better spot. I would rather be the one pushing versus making a 'hero' call for all my chips with Ace-rag offsuit.

M

mrjohnson911

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
prefer waiting although you kinda know you re ahead...
even if you re ahead... unless he has an A you re not that much of a favourite... and you dont want to risk your tourney in situation where you might just be slightly ahead...

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What sort of range would you put him on OP? Do you have a HUD?

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely wait for a better spot. You still have plenty of chips, and even if he's shoving with total junk you're never much more than a 2 to 1 favorite. Wait and make your own moves when you have fold equity as well as showdown value.

trashcan

trashcan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is again a clear ICM fold, regardless of what he shoves unfortunately...

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in

Because the player to your right was forcing you to play all-in or nothing many of the hands it might have been better to wait for a stronger hand than A/9 off! Obviously ..this is all in hind-sight but there are so many hands out there that could have put you in the underdog position (not J/9) that was just bad luck. I think you could have tossed those and waited for stronger hold cards...the way he was playing I'm sure the oppurtunity would have presented itself...Just a thought for next time!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, you probably are ahead. My guess is you're 54/46 or some other ridiculously mediocre win ratio. This is an easy, easy fold.

If you have a deep stack and you're in the money, and you're playing an all-in idiot, there's really not much question in these cases. For all my chips I'm calling only with monsters QQ+ (maybe JJ/AK depending on how far the next money tier is). If someone else calls and he goes below my stack, I'll open up my range, but I'm not risking my tournament life with a deep stack on a 60/40 split. Pass.

R

Raffi_AKK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok looking back on it i think that was indeed a bad call, thanks. I prb could've waited a couple more rounds to at least shove it in myself and have some equity. But i mean as far as his range goes, i don't have a HUD unfortunately but my guess is he was probably shoving any sort of connector, any ace, any king, prs. So I mean obviously range is wide but unless i pick him off on a weak ace, im not much of a fav, if i am. Its important to mention too that 18th through 10th pays the same so I mean this played a big role in my decision. We were 17th when it happened so still a long way to go. Anyway thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Mo

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best option is probably a fold. You have a comfortable stack and you are not in immeadiate trouble. Wait for a better hand where you could have him crushed, then go for it. However, calling can set you up for the rest of the tourney so....its certainly not a terrible call in my opinion.