SB: 28,317 (17.7 bb)
BB: 78,614 (49.1 bb)
UTG: 56,234 (35.1 bb)
UTG+1: 84,151 (52.6 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with Q
heart.gif
Q
diamond.gif

2 folds, MP1 raises to 4,900, MP2 raises to 21,432 and is all-in, 2 folds, Hero ?????

MP1 has played relatively conservative but has recently been using his stack more aggressively. MP2 has been aggressive but I give him credit for having some kind of hand here. Do I shove?

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh - and I converted this hand hehe.

onebourbon

onebourbon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
hehe...wtf - might as well be speaking chinese...lol

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends. Where are you in relation to the tourney? If this is mid point of the tourney I might be tempted to lay it down. What is MP2's range?
If his range is narrow then I would definitely fold here.

But there are those times when you have to take a slight risk to move up in the tourney. I don't think you are going to get another spot where this type of opportunity presents itself. If you get beat you still have a enough chips to make a come back.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was late in the tournie - already itm. I think there were about 200 left after starting with over 2500.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then I would play to get me in the final table and shove. You've already made your money back. It's time to make a giant pile of chippies

Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, especially considering its late in the tournament, you should shove to get as many chips as you can to get to the final table.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MP2 has got a lot of AK (a few AQs), some 77-88 and a ton of 99-JJs. There's a lot of KK and AA as well but you are ahead a big % of the time and the $EV of winning the pot is huge.

You have to put MP1 on an even wider range and of course he could wake up with AA-KK but in the vast majority of pots when you shove he's dead money.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I concur with the shove, you provided the big blind status but the truth is that doesn't take into acccount the antes.

MP2 has a M of about 5 (or 5 pot sizes) so his shoving range is quite wide here. Add the previous actions of MP1's raising, MP2 could be re-stealing here or pushing light against a opponent who is known to raise wide.

There is very little reason to fold QQ here.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks to all of you. I shoved and MP1 called. They both had AA lol.

But I was proud of my play - I would have been too scared to shove not long ago. I am trying to work on my later stage game. It seems the few times I manage to get there with a decent chip stack I watch them dwindle away.

I decided winning that big pot was worth the risk of them having a better hand. It was unlucky they both had those hands - but I think I had a lot of their ranges beat.

Just wanted to check and make sure I wasn't getting reckless lol.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I decided winning that big pot was worth the risk of them having a better hand. It was unlucky they both had those hands - but I think I had a lot of their ranges beat.

I think it is quite common to question yourself when you go against the top part of someone's range so I do hope that this thread gave you that little boost of confidence in how you played.

Also if mp1 has aces, you are lucky that they both did as you now have a bigger chance to win as you would if mp2 had any other hand.

Think positive, there is always a silver lining to be found unless you're drawing dead and there is no good action elsewhere.

N

nicoiko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

But I was proud of my play - I would have been too scared to shove not long ago. I am trying to work on my later stage game. It seems the few times I manage to get there with a decent chip stack I watch them dwindle away.

At these late stages of a MTT (already ITM but a long road to go to the FT) you just have to take every possible spot which might lead you to a big stack and to put you in a good shape on the road to the FT.(In fact that would probably be true any time of a MTT if you go for the win but that's even more important during bubble and early ITM time ;))
Those are the spots where you have good reads on your opponent knowing why they do what they do and with what range of hands they'll do.:)

In this situation even without any reads shoving was the right play for me. And given the fact the original raiser tend to be a bit more looser the last few orbits I may probably have shoved as light as pocket's 9 and AQ (maybe AJs) and would not have been surprised to see him quickly lay down his hand.

Just remind you made the right play here. The rest just doesn't matter anymore.;)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks - I really did just post this for the reinforcement so I wouldn't be afraid to make that move in the future. :)

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might have layed it down why risk tourney life here most player at that late of a tourney are only pushing with AA or KK better too see the flop than hopes of spiking your set but I;m a limper 95% of the tyme because too many knucle head call raises with crap ola and make two pair too my top pair and I get burned

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I might have layed it down why risk tourney life here most player at that late of a tourney are only pushing with AA or KK better too see the flop than hopes of spiking your set but I;m a limper 95% of the tyme because too many knucle head call raises with crap ola and make two pair too my top pair and I get burned

This is wrong on so many levels. :eek:

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i know you know a hell of a lot more about poker then me but i do know you made the right decision.
you can't freeze up deep into it because the others who know this will take advantage - steal the blinds walk all over you. the good players loosen up in the late stages simply cause they know tight and more inexperienced players don't want to lose thier chips.
i evn saw i guy chatting about it during the tournament. how he couldn't wait till later when he could steal and take advantage.
ever since then i've been forcing myslf to play more later in the tourny by checking my position and hand and acknowledging this is palyable. watching how many is in the hand is a good factor to take to account also.
peace and good luck. :)

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you lay it down when you have a chance to double or even possibly triple up which would put you in a nice chip standing, you already have you're money back at this stage of the tournament.

trashcan

trashcan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost always go all-in, I'm not worried about MP1 range and you should be ahead of 13-14BB shove here, go all-in

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tough break, but I would have shoved here, especially since I was in the money. You're only dominated by 2 hands. Unfortunately, you faced 2 of em...

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after alreday making the money, ur next goal is to accumulate a big chip stack to make the FT, so with only 20BB left I think i would put my stack in here because the opening raise could be a huge range of hands (33-JJ or any two broadway cards) and the shove could be the same as he has only 20BB. Unlikely to be up against AA or KK but if u r its just a cold deck.

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah I wold do the same-push all in
You are in the money and you wanna be on the top.That is correct play.
I have posted two hands that happens to me in the same day.That tournaments were not freerolls.I put those hands as a freerolls just not to make two threads.Name of the thread is:This is not so interesting but...

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I wold do the same-push all in
You are in the money and you wanna be on the top.That is correct play.
I have posted two hands that happens to me in the same day.That tournaments were not freerolls.I put those hands as a freerolls just not to make two threads.Name of the thread is:This is not so interesting but...

I took a look at those. As you posted them they are really just bad beats so I had to move that thread from HA.

If you want feedback on how you play your hands then you can post them in HA - but do like I did above and leave out the results until you get some feedback. Let me know if you need any help with it.

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took a look at those. As you posted them they are really just bad beats so I had to move that thread from HA.

If you want feedback on how you play your hands then you can post them in HA - but do like I did above and leave out the results until you get some feedback. Let me know if you need any help with it.
After I have posted those hands I saw bead beats subforum in general poker forum but i have already posted 7 posts for that day.I will not made such mistake again.