$11 NLHE Deep Stacked: Did I play this too passively?

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$11 NL HE Deep Stacked: Did I play this too passively?

poker stars, $11 Buy-in (10/20 blinds) NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

SB: 5,480 (274 bb)
BB: 3,830 (191.5 bb)
UTG: 5,000 (250 bb)
UTG+1: 4,300 (215 bb)
MP1: 4,920 (246 bb)
MP2: 5,000 (250 bb)
Hero (MP3): 5,390 (269.5 bb)
CO: 5,210 (260.5 bb)
BTN: 4,740 (237 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is MP3 with J
heart.gif
K
heart.gif

4 folds, Hero raises to 60, CO calls 60, BTN calls 60, 2 folds

Flop: (210) 5
diamond.gif
K
spade.gif
heart.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets 120, CO calls 120, BTN folds

Turn: (450) 4
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets 300, CO raises to 600, Hero calls 300

River: (1,650) J
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets 1,340, Hero calls 1,340

4,330 pot
CO showed A
diamond.gif
heart.gif
(two pairs, Fives and Fours) and lost (-2,120 net)
Hero showed J
heart.gif
K
heart.gif
(two pairs, Kings and Jacks) and won 4,330 (2,210 net)

I probably couldn't have made more on this hand if I played it differently given his hand.
But is this a hand I should bet or reraise with on the river.
I am trying to play small ball poker and not risk my entire stack on one hand that I am not certain of. Its possible he has a 4.
I guess I probably should bet the river or reraise after I hit 2 pair.

wislim

wislim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played the hand fine. I wouln't risk more by raising the river this early in a tournament. Just in case villian called with hand like A4s or 45s. Use pot control your hand has showdown value.

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine deciding you were check calling when you made 2 pair. The minraise on the turn could be interpreted as pretty value'ish, indicating a big hand like a 4 in the hole or something....but then again that's a pretty good sized bet on the river (~80% pot)....which doesn't follow that logic necessarily.

All that weird logic said, I'm probably raising here if it's me.

Don't put the results in the op next time though

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree that you played the hand fine if in fact you were usin pot control....than again...i agree with velutha that if its me personally on the river i raise big...maybe even push him in...you gotta figure he doesn have the 4..my guess would have been he was on a flush draw and missed on the river so he figured a bet would induce a fold...buuttt since you included the results we all know what he had lol

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You controlled the pot well early on in a tournament, honestly i dont like a raise pre flop with KJ suited but i have seen a few of your hands up for review new and have learnt you are a pretty LAG player, as for after the flop I see no problems with the way you played the hand. His Min raise on turn shows good strength, and the flat call on the river was perfectly acceptable after the strength he showed on the turn, even though im sure he didnt mean to look strong is just a terrible player. All in all the hand was played out well, you could have been behind with some of the players range early in tournaments, so your good pot control prevented losing alot if you were behind. WP

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perfect, I agree with the c/c on the river to induse another bluff attempt, if you raise you are only getting called if he has a 4 so just call that bet.

Nice hand.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you could have extracted much more value if you bet the river- in fact, if your opponent reraises, he/she puts you in an awkward spot. In all likelihood, I would have played the hand in a similar manner.