CO: 5,300 (176.7 bb)
Hero (BTN): 7,510 (250.3 bb)
SB: 4,665 (155.5 bb)
BB: 3,970 (132.3 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is BTN with 4
spade.gif
A
spade.gif

2 folds, MP1 raises to 60, 3 folds, Hero calls 60, SB raises to 150, BB folds, MP1 calls 90, Hero calls 90

Flop: (480) 3
heart.gif
A
heart.gif
A
diamond.gif
(3 players)
SB bets 150, MP1 folds, Hero calls 150

Turn: (780) 2
club.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (780) 8
heart.gif
(2 players)
SB bets 360, Hero raises to 1,260, SB calls 900

Same donk opponent as the earlier hand.
Maybe I should just muck this hand preflop.
Was worried he had a stronger ace on the flop but when he checked the turn I thought I had to be better, and put him on a pair on 66 - JJ, which I expected him to pay me off on the river with.
How would you play this?

S

strims

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The suspense is killing me. What did he have?

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The suspense is killing me. What did he have?

I expect you will find out presently. Have patience. The purpose of hand analysis is to consider the play without focusing on the outcome.

To address the point, I am not sure I would want to call the reraise with nothing but a weak ace, and I don`t mind folding pre-flop here.

Assuming you are in the pot, I think you must bet the turn and not give him a free card, given that there are flush and straight draws out there. His betting pattern suggests he may have missed the flop and merely made a continuation bet. If you bet the turn, you may well take it right there.

S

strims

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I expect you will find out presently. Have patience. The purpose of hand analysis is to consider the play without focusing on the outcome.
I am contrite.

To address the issue though, and at the risk of being simplistic, didn't the problem start with calling a re-raise with Ace/rag? The problem being that whenever you hit, and you did here massively, you just don't know.
But like Mr Towst says, assuming you are in the pot surely an information-gathering bet of about two-thirds of the pot on the turn is needed. It gives you more information and could take the pot there and then, which on that board is no bad thing. As for the river, tough one...I guess you probably had to call (through gritted teeth), as you say, he'd already exhibited some peculiar tendencies and may well be trying to steal.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3,300 pot
Hero showed 4
spade.gif
A
spade.gif
(three of a kind, Aces) and lost (-1,560 net)
SB showed 4
heart.gif
heart.gif
(a flush, Ace high) and won 3,300 (1,740 net)

He made a very bizarre reraise preflop with that hand, and he already had a straight on the turn, then hitting a flush on the river.

I think that really I should have folded this hand preflop after the first raise early on in a deep stack tournament, as its obviously a hand that can get you into a lot of trouble.
If he had the sense to reraise on the river he could have won more from me, as I would if he did not raise too much.

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spewy play IMO, personally i fold A4 pre flop, but hey the way you play you call/raise so after pre flop...You have to raise the 150 bet OTF to atleat 600, what a drawy board and you want him to get off any hearts or straight draws (later find out he has both) Hopefully you see him fold and fist pump. The turn play, checking behind him here is something i dont hate, but the way it played out pre flop you cant put him on 45 (even though thats what he had) and theres nothing wrong with shoving that turn, extremely standard shove there. Your River play is terrible, another heart hits and i dont know if you were representing but it wasnt worth it, Flat call that river and be happy you got out cheaply.

IMO: Always fold A4 pre to a raise..

Last edited: