$11 NL HE MTT: Sunday Storm Anniversary: Missed out on some value?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Rebuy
Currency
$
Hi forum,

I'd like to get some feedback on this hand.

If I remember correctly, we are already ITM and no special read about UTG.

My main two questions are if you'd have 3-bet this hand against UTG and/or if I should have bet the river, if so, which size?

pokerstars, $9.80 + $1.20 - Hold'em No Limit - 2,500/5,000 (600 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 326,570 (65 bb)
UTG+1: 598,763 (120 bb)
MP: 246,287 (49 bb)
MP+1: 162,556 (33 bb)
CO (Hero): 192,092 (38 bb)
BU: 149,715 (30 bb)
SB: 187,843 (38 bb)
BB: 175,081 (35 bb)

Pre-Flop: (12,300) Hero is CO with A Q
UTG raises to 10,000, 3 players fold, Hero calls 10,000, 2 players fold, BB calls 5,000

Flop: (37,300) 6 A K (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 12,309, BB calls 12,309, UTG calls 12,309

Turn: (74,227) 9 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 37,114, BB folds, UTG calls 37,114

River: (148,455) 4 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Total pot:

Showdown:
CO (Hero) shows A Q (a pair of Aces - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 68%, Flop: 76%, Turn: 66%, River: 100%)

UTG shows 5 A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 32%, Flop: 24%, Turn: 34%, River: 0%)

CO (Hero) wins 148,455

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well it's hard with the results already posted, but I think you could have bet 1/3 to 1/2 pot on the river and got paid. I wouldn't have 3bet UTG preflop with AQo. I have too much respect for UTG's range at that buy-in, maybe to a fault. But in this case you may have also lost value if UTG folded against you if you would have 3bet.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop depends on your villain since this is an UTG open. If you believe they are only opening UTG type hands here then its murky with AQ in this spot off of 40 BBs (also a situation I usually get wrong). I would probably still lean towards 3 betting there with the intention to fold to a 4 bet of any significant sizing. If you feel villain is opening wider than a normal UTG opening range than I like 3 betting more since it you would be ahead more often of that range plus you would get to play heads up in position. Waiting for others to comment on pre flop since I admit I have a lot to learn with respect to these spots off 30-40 BB stacks and AQ AJ type hands.

Flop: I would actually bet larger than you did but not signigicantly larger. I think there are plenty of Ax and Kx that will call here so betting something more like 40-45% pot instead of 1/3rd pot will get you more value. Especially if villains dont call double barrels often.

Turn: I feel like a bet is a must here since I am less worried about AK with it being on the flop. I like your sizing but I think you could even go 60% here for the same reasons to bet more on the flop and also now 2 hearts (depending on villains) may still come along at 60% pot.

River: To me this depends on how good we think villain is since if we think they are good then they arent calling small Ax. That leaves a value target of AJ, A10 and maybe but less likely to call A8. All the smaller Ax then a good player I think folds to a triple barrel except A4 which beats us. If we dont think villain is good then we can bet with a lot more value targets. We would/should know though before we bet what we are going to do if we get stuffed on if we dont bet all in. If we were readless in all aspects on villain than I think its fine to do either bet or check but I lean towards checking since that is just my MO in this spot good or bad. The problem is that unless villain just isnt paying attention or not thinking (maybe they are playing 12 tables and dont notice) but any size bet you were to make on the river other than maybe all in looks super strong being it a triple barrel and a place where you could check it back for showdown value. If villain had seen you bet small before as a bluff then you could bet small here but I do believe going small here makes it look like your hand is nutted which is not what we want, we want to look weak enough that A8 ish calls here. I do think two pair hands raise the turn with 2 hearts coming so I would discount two pair a bit and only leaves A4 as the only two pair combo. The more I think about it, I think if I bet in this spot I just jam it in being it less than pot and hope villain reads it as a bluff.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Its fine to just flat an UTG open with AQ. It keep dominated hands in his range, and you avoid facing a 4-bet, which you would probably have to fold to.

Flop
Kind of weird that UTG did not C-bet this board, but fine to put out a bet and see, what happen. Small sizing is fine.

Turn
Not totally thrilled, they both continued, but still fine to bet for value, I think. Quite happy to at least get rid of one guy now.

River
I would also check this back. If you bet again, you kind of commit yourself to the pot, and it would really suck to get jammed on. I am also still a little confused about, why UTG did not C-bet but choose a check-call line instead, and I am slightly concerned, it could be a trap with a hand like AK.

Results
So he had A5 of hearts, which makes sense. Without the flushdraw he would most likely not have called the turn bet, and I dought he would call yet another bet on the river with top pair no kicker.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi forum,

I'd like to get some feedback on this hand.

If I remember correctly, we are already ITM and no special read about UTG.

My main two questions are if you'd have 3-bet this hand against UTG and/or if I should have bet the river, if so, which size?

PokerStars, $9.80 + $1.20 - Hold'em No Limit - 2,500/5,000 (600 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 326,570 (65 bb)
UTG+1: 598,763 (120 bb)
MP: 246,287 (49 bb)
MP+1: 162,556 (33 bb)
CO (Hero): 192,092 (38 bb)
BU: 149,715 (30 bb)
SB: 187,843 (38 bb)
BB: 175,081 (35 bb)

Pre-Flop: (12,300) Hero is CO with A Q
UTG raises to 10,000, 3 players fold, Hero calls 10,000, 2 players fold, BB calls 5,000

Flop: (37,300) 6 A K (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 12,309, BB calls 12,309, UTG calls 12,309

Turn: (74,227) 9 (3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 37,114, BB folds, UTG calls 37,114

River: (148,455) 4 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Total pot:

Showdown:
CO (Hero) shows A Q (a pair of Aces - higher kicker)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 68%, Flop: 76%, Turn: 66%, River: 100%)

UTG shows 5 A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 32%, Flop: 24%, Turn: 34%, River: 0%)

CO (Hero) wins 148,455
If we raise preflop how do your UTG Villains adjust their ranges? If they are folding dominated Ax hands then we want to flat however AQ off is not great three way so We would flat AQs always but mix AQoff preflop-
On the flop we want to think about the UTG check range? Take the time to estimate a checking range - Would AK KK check? How much of UTG's check raise is folding-does our bet size effect that range?
If we expect UTG to have a high % of folds and some % of nuts that checked what sizing is best vs that estimated range?
If the V has what they have in their check range would the above sizing not be good vs that as well?

Turn if the UTG was sticky with a weaker range on flop ie TT etc what is the most likely action they will take with that part of their range when we bet turn for this size? If we think they are folding turn with that range what sizing can we use for the now condensed range they will have?

River----vs weaker players who seldom check raise bluff rivers what is the highest ROI action we can take here? If we are bluffing this hand what are we doing on this river?:geek:

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
jam for value for sure if no close pay jumps. you are beat vs too rarely
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only question I think is why villain calls 2 streets(oh damn I bet it was a suited type card player). Bet for value on river (2/3rds pot may be the upper limit cause bigger will scare the villain out), if you are ITM then your goal is the FT. IF he reraises on the river pretending he has AK it's hard.
I would call down with AK in UTG position if the CO does the betting work. AQ off is imo not a 3bet to an UTG raise because then you are strongly committed to the pot after bet on Flop and River.