$11 MTT, semi-turbo, AT in EP

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been very TAG, the rest of the table is actually pretty TAG aswell save a couple of players who are a little looser PF.

Easy push or is it not good enough from EP?

pokerstars GAME #8522499399: TOURNAMENT #43326747, $10+$1 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL VIII (200/400) - 2007/02/19 - 16:33:47 (ET)
Table '43326747 30' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 2: heartwild (6525 in chips)
Seat 3: FatboyInnes (5830 in chips)
Seat 4: C.Mau (4410 in chips)
Seat 5: SweetCherry (8640 in chips)
Seat 6: CPGR (5125 in chips)
Seat 7: asgawer (2820 in chips)
Seat 8: ChuckTs (5047 in chips)
Seat 9: ROBHITTA (3705 in chips)
heartwild: posts the ante 25
FatboyInnes: posts the ante 25
C.Mau: posts the ante 25
SweetCherry: posts the ante 25
CPGR: posts the ante 25
asgawer: posts the ante 25
ChuckTs: posts the ante 25
ROBHITTA: posts the ante 25
SweetCherry: posts small blind 200
CPGR: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ChuckTs [Ac Td]
asgawer: folds
ChuckTs: ...

The only reason I found this a toughy is because of the turbo effect; blinds only recently hopped up to 200/400, but will soon enough be at 300/600. Do we have to start pushing at this point or wait for a better opportunity?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I've ever played a turbo so take this with a pinch of salt...

What is your hoped for outcome? Is it for a call or to steal the blinds?

Cause stealing the blinds doesn't make a huge difference to your situation relative to the risk of pushing in early position.

In late postion the risk/reward is worth it so cutoff+1 or better then absolutely.

However if you want to get a call what is the range of the callers?

Presumably most pairs and AT+? So at best it's a coinflip.

Not much room for you I agree but I suspect better risk/reward situations than this.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess my real question here is do we let our stack dwindle to <10BBs and wait for a higher % situation with a first-in allin or do we push to keep ourselves above 10BBs (as they will probably reach 300/600 by the time they hit us, if not then definitely next orbit)?

In terms of risk:reward, I think it's a pretty poor play, but my real issue is that by folding we let ourselves cross that shortstacked 'line', and enter the 'red zone'. I personally hate being shortstacked, but also hate pushing with AT utg...

As it played out, I folded and picked up a few hands good enough to push and keep up with the blinds.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd fold here. Unsuited Ace Rag in early position is a bad situation to be in. I rather go all in with a weaker hand in the Big Blind if there is a good chance you can steal the blinds. You can at least see the other player's moves before you decide your move.

Coryan

Coryan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold...but great question!

Chuck asks a great question. I would fold this in EP, but I feel that I may hold out too long when SSed. I find my chips getting eaten into very quickly in the Turbo tourneys when I am shortstacked.

I usually avoid the Turbos, except when I don't have time to play a lot and want to get in a quick SnG. I wonder if the Turbos are simply more suited for looser players?