$11 MTT, semi-turbo, AJ vs. CO raise

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CO is new at the table, and after checking him up on the web, I see he's a pretty big winner (if that makes any difference).

Wait for a first-in push or can we come over the top here?

pokerstars GAME #8522699958: TOURNAMENT #43326747, $10+$1 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL IX (300/600) - 2007/02/19 - 16:46:07 (ET)
Table '43326747 30' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: soapynutz (3522 in chips)
Seat 2: tydouglas (15870 in chips)
Seat 3: FatboyInnes (7732 in chips)
Seat 4: skoningen (4299 in chips)
Seat 6: bronz43x (3920 in chips)
Seat 7: Marvelman86 (8500 in chips)
Seat 8: ChuckTs (6422 in chips)
Seat 9: ROBHITTA (6170 in chips)
soapynutz: posts the ante 50
tydouglas: posts the ante 50
FatboyInnes: posts the ante 50
skoningen: posts the ante 50
bronz43x: posts the ante 50
Marvelman86: posts the ante 50
ChuckTs: posts the ante 50
ROBHITTA: posts the ante 50
ROBHITTA: posts small blind 300
soapynutz: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ChuckTs [As Jc]
tydouglas: folds
FatboyInnes: folds
skoningen: folds
bronz43x: folds
Marvelman86: raises 1200 to 1800
ChuckTs: ...

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How fast do the blinds raise? 5 min or 8 min or 10 min?

I'll state this consideirng it is 8 min or 10 min blinds. It has to be a push, fold, or a continuation push on the flop, that is of course if the guy checks the flop. With your stack, and the blinds, you cant just simply call then fold, so if you call, plan on committing the rest of your chips to the pot. AJ off-suit, not in the blinds, being about a little less than 1/3 of your stack, just fold, unless your willing to commit all your chips on AJ off-suit. He might be trying to blind steal with just a low pocket pair, and if you call and he checks the flop, you could push whether you hit or not. But if you decide to push preflop, I think he's pot committed so he'll probably call, and at best your in a race or completely dominated.

I would fold.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at best your in a race or completely dominated.
Semi-Turbo donkament from a cut-off raise, Plenty of things he can beat. I think most of the time he will be ahead(ATC, Ax, KQ, Kx, etc) or a race. I think most of the time he will be ahead, then a race and then totally dominated. The next time the blinds hit you they will be 400/800. You mgiht not get anything better in the next orbit or 2 and be totally shortstacked where you have to shove with ATC.

I agree with you its push or fold and calling is terrible.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i say fold, but shoving isnt bad either. expect a call.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I come over the top thinking I have enough fold equity to make <AQ fold aswell as alot of pairs, but he calls and shows JJ which holds. :(

I don't think pushing was terrible, but looking back I think that waiting to push as first in would give me a much better chance at taking a pot down.

At what point do you draw the line for pushing here? AQ? AK?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you dont have much fold equity here i dont think. maybe if you had him all in with your all in. i wait and shove the next few marginal hands and get some more equity

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I come over the top thinking I have enough fold equity to make <AQ fold aswell as alot of pairs, but he calls and shows JJ which holds. :(

I don't think pushing was terrible, but looking back I think that waiting to push as first in would give me a much better chance at taking a pot down.

At what point do you draw the line for pushing here? AQ? AK?

It's not a terrible move to push there with AQ, I would definitely push with AK, considering its a turbo game. AJ, I think I would fold.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we shove, the pot will be ~9500 and villain will have to call ~4600, so he'd be getting better than 2-1. With 1-2k more in chips I like restealing a lot more here, but as it stands I think we have to fold and look for a spot to shove first in, as our stack is so short that by shoving over a standard raise we are not far off just calling a shove which is bad with AJ because of the lack of fold equity we have.