• Total voters
peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who hasnt got the thrills of getting AA at the HJ?
The story goes as follows.
What went wrong, ahd how would u have played it? bear in mind that the field has 34 players and the villain has a bigger stack.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 37
SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What went wrong, ahd how would u have played it? bear in mind that the field has 34 players and the villain has a bigger stack.

Hey Pieceofcake. Not sure I'm in a pos to give you advice, but no else has commented. I haven't yet played this level of tourney. Advice people have given me is never slow play AA. You want all your money in every time with Aces pre flop.

I get that maybe right on the bubble maybe some caution is needed but was this the case here?

That said, the result is almost always the same when AA meets QQ. How many players will lay down their QQ pre flop. So almost certainly you were losing this hand, you had Aces, they hit Quads. its awful luck right? :(

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Pieceofcake. Not sure I'm in a pos to give you advice, but no else has commented. I haven't yet played this level of tourney. Advice people have given me is never slow play AA. You want all your money in every time with Aces pre flop.

I get that maybe right on the bubble maybe some caution is needed but was this the case here?

That said, the result is almost always the same when AA meets QQ. How many players will lay down their QQ pre flop. So almost certainly you were losing this hand, you had Aces, they hit Quads. its awful luck right? :(
Well I probably wouldnt call an allin if Im covered, villain with 33% showed strenght at the flop, so either V has a flash draw, to which Ive got no blockers, or a set, so my thinking will go into putting him to this range AXs,KQ,QJ/77-88. . The second queen worked quiet well for V, he didnt raise it, so either he missed the flash draw or he completed his boat and he's waiting for us to make a move so he can shove. thats the second mistake the H made, because he would have avoided making a hard showdown decision and he apparently was waiting for A or Q. If I was in that position, Id clearly raise the turn and fold to a shove, or wait until the river to see if I hit A/Q, if not I am folding 75% of the time,

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The pre flop play is a touch unclear from the pics alone, but yes as the chips don't go in pre flop then you have to look for reasons to fold to shows of strength, considering the level.

In this instance, the range has to include all high pairs tho, as no info has been gathered by hero pre flop due to a lack of raise!

If he'd made it 500k, then hes getting re raised or a call, in which case, the V's range would go be on the stronger side.

Its an interesting spot. Maybe they thought there was gonna be some crazy action after his call!!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Personally I would have jammed AA preflop, but I dont think, his play is bad. With this stack depth there is probably some GTO argument for having both a 3-betting and a calling range, and then he need to protect his calling range by including some very strong hands like AA and KK.

Flop
Once again I think, aces can go either way here and call or raise. With this stack depth there is probably an argument for playing your entire range as a call or fold, since you can just take over the betting on the turn, if he check.

Turn
Really bad turn card for AA obviously, and apparently it went check-check, which I think is fine.

River
Apparently QQ now overbet jammed, which is not a fun spot for AA. However if you are going to play aces as a "trap", then you simply have to call here. All the draws missed, and you have underrepresented your hand the whole time. You got, what you asked for, so now you have to follow through with your plan and make the hero call.

Results
This time AA ran into the nuts, but that does not mean, anything in his line was bad. Also if AA had been played in a more aggressive way, its not like, QQ would ever consider folding. So this is just a setup hand, where all the chips are bound to go in one way or another. Setups cant be avoided, and the fact, this was deep in the Sunday Million, changes nothing.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldnt play calling AA in such stack size preflop cause we should understand that in ICM we cant give the possibility for realisation hand equity postflop cause someone could overcall and it s a problem to play multiway. I think this hand played badly from preflop.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Personally I would have jammed AA preflop, but I dont think, his play is bad. With this stack depth there is probably some GTO argument for having both a 3-betting and a calling range, and then he need to protect his calling range by including some very strong hands like AA and KK.

Flop
Once again I think, aces can go either way here and call or raise. With this stack depth there is probably an argument for playing your entire range as a call or fold, since you can just take over the betting on the turn, if he check.

Turn
Really bad turn card for AA obviously, and apparently it went check-check, which I think is fine.

River
Apparently QQ now overbet jammed, which is not a fun spot for AA. However if you are going to play aces as a "trap", then you simply have to call here. All the draws missed, and you have underrepresented your hand the whole time. You got, what you asked for, so now you have to follow through with your plan and make the hero call.

Results
This time AA ran into the nuts, but that does not mean, anything in his line was bad. Also if AA had been played in a more aggressive way, its not like, QQ would ever consider folding. So this is just a setup hand, where all the chips are bound to go in one way or another. Setups cant be avoided, and the fact, this was deep in the Sunday Million, changes nothing.

I have mucked my aces many times because I ran into situations with flash draws or/and straights in multiway pots. The metamorphosis in any poker player's life starts when he learns to fold AA without showing them. I believe poker is a street game. Know your corner, your neighbours,
Your neighbours' routine/diet/noises, treat them with respect and they 'll end up inviting you to dip n'chips

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldnt play calling AA in such stack size preflop cause we should understand that in ICM we cant give the possibility for realisation hand equity postflop cause someone could overcall and it s a problem to play multiway. I think this hand played badly from preflop.
Sometimes there are technical problems with the software. I remember having one recently while playing from my mobile. I meant to raise 33% at the turn and ended up raising 1BB, villain jams, either I call w/ two pair or fold and be dealt another hand. So I turned my computer on and was pretty sure that the V- flufking fluffed me ferry fad

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have mucked my aces many times because I ran into situations with flash draws or/and straights in multiway pots.

Yes but this was not a multiway pot, the draws all missed, and the hand only started with around 20BB effective stacks, which is a totally different situation from a 100BB cash game. Folding AA in this particular hand would have been a HUGE mistake. Someone else just shared a hand from Sunday Million second day, where a player folded a full house on the river to a bluff. This is not, how you want to play, if you play in events, that are full of competent players. They will absolutely bluff you on the river, so you cant just fold any hand, thats not the total nuts, like you might be able to do against some very straight forward opponents in a micro tournament.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone else just shared a hand from Sunday Million second day, where a player folded a full house on the river to a bluff.
Please, can you post a link to the article?
And yes, many players will bluff you, that's the spirit of the game, especially in tournaments, many players stick with their bluffs, I ve seen a hand few days ago cashgame live, the SB 3bet PF, BB called, XR flop, X turn and XR-allin the river with 62s to Q7 Q full 7. Some people are gambling idiots per nature!

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must agree with me that hand was chaotic, the story telling of a child high on maple syrup trying to convince you that the tooth fairy stole his homeworkl unless he drink the whole bottle he will not retrieve his Poney from Fat Tony, who happens to be threatening of suffocating Joey Wheeler Golden fish because he played Rummy against Genkhis Khan and lost two golden retrievers that belonged to Samuel L. Jackson that remind the latter of the time he spent dating Allah.
If I was the Villain, I would do the exact same thing. Im UTG so that flop is in my range, QJ/AJ/AK/QQ are in my range.
If BB raised small at the river I'd fold, no question asked, but the thing is that he seemed as if he was bluffing or had a weak flush, holding the second nut flush draw card I'd jam because the BB was too passive with his J9. Raising the flop would've shown strenght, for me this would be an easy three barrels......

L

Living__M

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would try to get all the money in preflop or on the flop