No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
VP$IP
PFR
Currency
$
pokerstars, $100 + $9 - Hold'em No Limit - 30,000/60,000 (8,000 ante) - 4 players

Limpegutten (UTG): 2,290,040 (38 bb)
billionaaire (BU): 1,462,372 (24 bb)
adam1843 (SB): 2,290,860 (38 bb)
Renato Zek (BB): 1,546,728 (26 bb)

Pre-Flop: (122,000) Hero (adam1843) is SB with A♣ T♦
2 players fold, adam1843 (SB) raises to 180,000, Renato Zek (BB) calls 120,000

Flop: (392,000) 3♥ 8♦ 4♣ (2 players)
adam1843 (SB) bets 168,000, Renato Zek (BB) calls 168,000

Turn: (728,000) 4♥ (2 players)
adam1843 (SB) bets 264,000, Renato Zek (BB) calls 264,000

River: (1,256,000) 9♦ (2 players)
adam1843 (SB) bets 120,000, Renato Zek (BB) raises to 444,000

Final table, tournament for 200 players.

It is very odd hand, I don't have clue, on flop I betting for value/protection on turn small sizing to charge draws, I got mayby call form weaker ace and I buying river, mayby check is better on turn. River don't have a clue what to do. Draw missed.

Villain vp 25, pr 20, 3b 11 (little tanked pre flop villain)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I prefer to limp in rather than raise. If he take a free flop, you keep the pot small, when you are out of position. And if he raise, you can limp-jam with an excellent risk-reward and a lot of fold equity.

Flop
If you had limped, I would definitely stab this and almost any board. But when you have raised, I think, its very close between C-betting and checking. I cant see the C-bet being a real mistake though.

Turn
Now you definitely need to check. And this is kind of the issue with raising preflop. You are building a big pot, and a lot of the time you are stuck on the turn with A high and no idea, what to do.

River
Check and fold to any substantial bet. At some point you need to give up, when you have nothing more than A high. Yes it opens a bluffing opportunity, but this goes back to preflop and why, I dont like raising out of position with this kind of hand and this kind of stack size.

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your way, against competent oponents it is very hard to play sbvsbb when you raising and he float you.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like your way, against competent oponents it is very hard to play sbvsbb when you raising and he float you.
The key word here is competent opponent. Against a weak passive opponent it can be a fine strategy to raise out of the small blind. This might be an opponent, who wont defend enough, or an opponent who will mostly defend by calling, and will never 3-bet you light. Because one of the thing, you also dont want to happen here, is, that he jam on you preflop. Yes you have him covered, so its his tournament live at risk. But if you call and lose, you are left with just 12BB and very likely to be the next player out. And because of ICM you are not really happy with that situation even with a hand as relatively good as ATo. Its much better to be the player with fold equity, who put him to a decision for all his chips, if he attack your limp.

As a final comment you could also turn your hand into a bluff and jam the river. Maybe after making a slightly larger turn bet. This is a valid line, but I think, AT might have just enough showdown value, that I prefer to bluff with other hands. I dont think, you win this very often by checking the river, but maybe once in a while he check back a hand like A5 or A2, and your AT is actually good. I dont like hero calling with A high though, so weather you check or make this weird block bet on the river, its a fold, when he show aggression.

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gto checks otf mostly i think, tho on such dry boards u can be betting for sure.
on the turn i check call and go on a call down on most run outs. he still has plenty of floats and various draws.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!
also on the river i still yolo call as played. too thin vbet range unless top reg

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PokerStars, $100 + $9 - Hold'em No Limit - 30,000/60,000 (8,000 ante) - 4 players

Limpegutten (UTG): 2,290,040 (38 bb)
billionaaire (BU): 1,462,372 (24 bb)
adam1843 (SB): 2,290,860 (38 bb)
Renato Zek (BB): 1,546,728 (26 bb)

Pre-Flop: (122,000) Hero (adam1843) is SB with A♣ T♦
2 players fold, adam1843 (SB) raises to 180,000, Renato Zek (BB) calls 120,000

Flop: (392,000) 3♥ 8♦ 4♣ (2 players)
adam1843 (SB) bets 168,000, Renato Zek (BB) calls 168,000

Turn: (728,000) 4♥ (2 players)
adam1843 (SB) bets 264,000, Renato Zek (BB) calls 264,000

River: (1,256,000) 9♦ (2 players)
adam1843 (SB) bets 120,000, Renato Zek (BB) raises to 444,000

Final table, tournament for 200 players.

It is very odd hand, I don't have clue, on flop I betting for value/protection on turn small sizing to charge draws, I got mayby call form weaker ace and I buying river, mayby check is better on turn. River don't have a clue what to do. Draw missed.

Villain vp 25, pr 20, 3b 11 (little tanked pre flop villain)
There are some FT strategies that may be valuable going forward for you to implement-

1 Sizing- using smaller sizing is effective vs solid players so opening 2.25-.75 is often getting the same folds as 3
We can often then use smaller sizing post flop as well so on flop we can bet 1.5bb putting pressure on our V because big bets can be coming on later streets.
We do not want to play big pots without the nuts- we make money by others battling and getting knocked out so protecting our stack is #1

2 When we do bet large preflop and get called there is nothing wrong with checking- with the intention of having 3 responses to a bet depending on the bet size- again we do not want to be building pots with nothing and our V by calling the raise preflop has said they want to continue with a FT range and this board does not cause them to change their minds.

3 Folding in this spot post flop is a good strategy- FT's have us switch from chip EV to ICM and when we do folding is a big part of that strategy. We want to take the time to flip that switch in our minds to the above concept. Mantra-Folds are good-Folds are good

:unsure::geek:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good hand to post since this spot happens a lot deep in tournaments not necessarily the final table but even 50-60 to go with everyone having a stack of 20-30 BBs which is odd enough to play but then also people can tighten up so you get blind vs blind seemingly a bit more often.

I always put disclaimers on my posts when I feel they are warranted and here one is... I suck blind vs blind so keep that in mind with my thoughts below

Pre: I like raising here (villain dependent, of course) but not sure with 26 BBs effective and 4 left that I would limp jam due to ICM although I do know the play is +EV. Maybe this is why I suck in these spots but just couldnt jam here on ICM alone so I prefer raising over limping in and then calling (me anyway, I understand limping if you are going to jam), assuming villain will raise most of the time but that is also villain dependent .

Flop: I think this is the point in the hand where we need to build a plan and there is one of two ways I see going here.

1. Villain thinks Im wide, I know they are wide (usually even on these stacks) and if the flop didnt help me then it has a decent chance of helping them and they arent folding a pair here too often unless I really put pressure on them (and thats not even a given). Therefore, check and see what happens and evaluate based on sizing, what I know on villain, etc.

2. Villain has ICM pressure and tournament survival pressure and even though they are near the chip cellar as far as the stacks go they dont want to piss away their 26 BBs so if we pepper them with bets here we can possibly get 3x, 4x, and some small pairs like 22, 55, 66 to start to worry we have a pair and fold.

Here is where we need to choose one of those options and if we decide to check then its option 1, If we bet then its option 2. I think either way has merits/drawbacks, its just important to know in this hand that whatever we do flop is going to highly dictate our turn action. If I had to choose here I think I would choose option 1 and check.

Turn: As played we bet flop (which should have been smaller imo because we would then be planning to double barrel and wouldnt really think villain is folding to 1 bet, its the second bet that has the potential fold equity so if we go smaller flop then we can bet turn a greater % of pot for cheaper and the greater % of pot is what we are hoping generates the fold) so I would be betting here. I think you need to go bigger here since you want a fold badly and know you arent tripling here (I dont think, maybe Im wrong on that?) so I would bet more than just 36% of pot. When they just call here, Im done with this hand.

River: As said I would be done here so checking which is the same as throwing our cards in the muck a huge % of the time but I dont think tripling gets us there if they didnt fold turn. I dont get your bet here on river as to why you are doing it, what you hope happens, etc. Its too small for a blocker bet and its really only a bet sizing to induce action... which is exactly what you dont want to have happen here. Checking is far better than betting this amount and quite honestly this river bet sizing is one of the last sizings I would choose out of the spectrum.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands