$1050 NLHE MTT Bounty: What would you have done if you were the CO?

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not my hand, I was just an observer and came across this hand. What would you have done differently, if you were CO?

CO had QsQh

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1050 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

MP2 (t4,910)
MP3 (t3,344)
CO (t6,530)
Button (t4,380)
SB (t4,790)
BB (t4,790)
UTG (t4,990)
UTG+1 (t6,290)
MP1 (t5,010)

Preflop:
4 folds, MP3 raises to t90, CO raises to t270, 3 folds, MP3 calls t180

Flop: (t585) 3
spade.gif
, J
club.gif
, 2
diamond.gif
(2 players)
MP3 checks, CO bets t310, MP3 calls t310

Turn: (t1,205) 4
diamond.gif
(2 players)
MP3 checks, CO bets t680, MP3 calls t680

River: (t2,565) 10
diamond.gif
(2 players)
MP3 checks, CO bets t5,270 (All-In), MP3 calls t2,084 (All-In)

Total pot: t6,733

Results below:
MP3 had 10
club.gif
, J
heart.gif
(two pair, Jacks and tens).
CO had Q
spade.gif
, Q
heart.gif
(one pair, Queens).
Outcome: MP3 won t6,733

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO it is pretty difficult for CO to put MP3 on a hand that beats him at any time in this hand. AA or KK would have 4-bet pre so they are out. On the flop you are then only looking at JJ 22 or 33. Not sure if 22 or 33 would have come along pre so would mostly be ruling them out. At this point I am probably putting MP3 on AJ. Turn is pretty much a blank so if CO was ahead on the flop he is still ahead now. The river is a bit of a scare card for me as AJd is a definite possibility but not sure CO could do anything else at that point. Not really sure you could reasonably expect to find someone playing JTo in that way.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ditto! Even I was thinking the same. But am still wondering whether checking the turn for pot control would have been an option; since you only have a single pair, that's it. Would that have been a more optimal play.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a $1k KO. Given it's $500 for him to bust this player and he has him covered by double the amount in chips, given the dynamics of how KO's work, I guess he assumed villain would call wider because the guy will know he's going to be putting a lot of pressure on with some marginal/weaker hands.

If this was a normal freeze out with no bounty, I'd say QQ is playing far to aggressive here but given it's a KO and 50% of your buy-in goes towards a bounty, it seems ok to me. He's obviously going for real thin value with his river shove, but given the reasons I've stated I think it's ok.

Last edited:
A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
standard.. maybe some pot control was ok , but I don t think there is many you can do . He was 95% on the turn , and i think that 10j would've called the river because it was a ko.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what you're saying. Am just wondering, how much is it worth to chase bounty? Does your strategy change a lot in these games from say a freeze out, do you become more aggressive?

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a bounty game being the small stack at the table means that you have to win at last 2 big hands to eliminate someone. Therfor a raise in late position is ok. But calling a 3-bet oop with no hand (JTs is another story of course) is a desaster. Even if you hit top pair you are on thin ice.
In a bounty tournament with a substantial amount in the middle befor the flop it is unthinkable with an overpair to step out at any time. I suppose that regardless of the coming streets all money goes into the middle anyway.

A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what you're saying. Am just wondering, how much is it worth to chase bounty? Does your strategy change a lot in these games from say a freeze out, do you become more aggressive?

I belive nanonoko has a system about bountys. He transforms bountys in chips value . I didn't remember where i saw it , i think he explained in one of his twitch session. You should look for it , if I find it I will post it here.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alexandru24, thanks! Got it.

In case, any one is interested (Randy 'nanonako' Lew plays a bounty tournament). Here's the link to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIRUeR5g5g

Its a long, long video where he's playing a WCOOP KO tournament ($215 buy-in, $41.25 bounty); but this is the summary of it.

"Hi guys! Just wanted to let you guys know of a correction I made to the video. When calculating the bounty you're suppose to compare it to the portion that is the entry fee. So in this example, it's:

Comparing $41.25 to $161.75 which is 25.5%.
Thus 5000 chips x 0.255 = 1275 chips that you should add as the bounty.

Why?

Think about it this way. You spend $161.75 to receive 5000 chips. You spend $41.25 (how much your bounty is worth). Because the bounty is another prize pool the amount you spend on the bounty can be directly translated to the chips you receive. $41.25 compared to $161.75 is 25.5% or rather translated to chips is 1275 chips.

It may be clearer in respects to a Super KO bounty tournament. In a Super KO bounty tournament half of your entry fee goes to the regular prizepool and half of your entry fee goes to the bounty. For example in the Saturday Super KO Bounty tournament, it $320 to play where $154 goes to the main prize pool, $154 goes to the bounty and $12 goes to the fees. You pay $154 to receive 3000 chips. You also pay $154 for the bounty. Thus the bounty is worth 3000 chips the same price you paid that goes to the main prize pool. So whenever someone is all-in you add 3000 chips to the pot.

Feel free to ask if it's still not clear.
Show less" - Randy 'nanonako' Lew

Last edited: