$10 NLHE STT Turbo: Call or fold this raise?

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play pretty tight, and often when I loosen up I start losing, not because I played wrong, but I showed down an inferior hand. I don't have a read on the villain here as I have been multi tabling. He has raised me from small blind and put in 20% of his stack pre-flop. Granted, I do have position. Unfortunately I have not been able to notice how often he is raising or what he is showing down. JQ is a nice hand heads up, but I think that I am behind almost always here, and he is going to jam or C-bet a large percentage of the time.

Attachments

• poker.jpg
    poker.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
E

ElmerS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a tricky spot but without having any read in my opponent I would fold in this spot.
Your opponent is not even 10bb deep. So his open-raise includes really strong hands like AT+ and 77+ or complete air.
In this spot people under bluff and mostly have that strong holding.

That having said you get the price to call and take a flop but that's tough without any note at your opponent

Everything would be changed if the number 2 gets money for finishing second. Then it becomes a much easier fold because it's not worth the risk.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can see you are playing on your phone with this screenshot and you say you are multi tabling. I am not a fan of that for two reasons. One is what you brought up which is where you will miss a lot of the action from whatever table is not up and wont have reads and secondly you have a much larger chance of a miss click which could severely cost you. If you are going to play on your phone I suggest one tabling or at least play only the amount of tables where you can follow the action. There is no reason why you should be in a STT where it looks like it started with 6, be down to 3 and not have some sort of read on someone.

As far as the hand goes I would think top 2 get paid here and we are the largest stack. Its the middle stack raising into us which should be a little more cautious about getting into a big pot with a smaller stack than them present. I think you can fold here as I would not put villain on junk here. That is not to say we could not be ahead of them but I think more likely than not we arent. I am not loving calling a 3x raise there either when stacks are as short as they are. Just another little thing there that leans me towards villain is ready to go with whatever hand they have.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The opponent raise from SB with a 14BB stack, which is a very non-standard play. The GTO strategy is to either limp or jam with this stack size, when you are out of position. He is also the mid stack, and if this was a 6-man SnG, we are on the bubble. As 300HPGOD say, we really need to pay attention to dynamics in shorthanded play. What has this guy done before, when it folded to him in SB? Did he limp, fold, jam, or does he always go for this 3BB raise?

If this was an unusual play from him, then it looks pretty darn strong, and I think, its fine to just fold. However if this was just his (bad) SB strategy, and he did this all the time, then this is a great spot to jam on him and apply a ton of ICM pressure. We could also call, if we are not really sure, whats going on. The problem with that however is, that if he has this super unbalanced and nutted range, then flopping top pair might not give us the best hand, and we cant fold top pair with an SPR of around 1. So we might end up dubbling him up anyway.

Folding in Poker