$10 NLHE STT: top pair against donk bet

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker $10 + $1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds - 6 players - View hand 1170688
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t3030 30.30 BBs
MP: t1635 16.35 BBs
CO: t1821 18.21 BBs
Hero (BTN): t2410 24.10 BBs
SB: t2999 29.99 BBs
BB: t1605 16.05 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is BTN with J A
3 folds, Hero raises to t250, SB calls t200, BB calls t150

Flop: (t750) 9 A K (3 players)
SB checks, BB bets t300, Hero raises to t1650, SB raises to t2749 all in, BB folds, Hero calls t510 all in

Turn: (t5370) 7 (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t5370) A (2 players - 2 are all in)

I just really felt that he wouldnt have bet into me if he had more than top pair and that he would have 3bet with better than AJ, so I was stuck in this spot. I decided that the best play would be to put it all in right there and hope for the best.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A am guessing AK-AQ or KK, it the only line that makes sense for his action. But when you RR the flop, you are pretty much committed, so, I guess your last 5 BB are going in here.

IMO this is a hand your stats can help you with,if you have a HUD, if not, it will depend on how many tables you have going and if you have been taking note of SBs play so far. I am guessing you have one.

You need to consider what he is calling with here. Since IDK how his stats look, I can only make situational guesses. But you do need to consider how he has been playing and why he is calling you in the worst possible position he can have. Does he have a clue? How does he see the BB, and why would he make a call here taking BB stats into consideration? He could be a donkey with K9, but he could be a sly player with KK (or even AA, altho probably not considering) who is trapping. You have to consider AK and AQ here for sure. A9 is sadly a possibility, but, again, how has he been playing?

After thinking this through - again, I am jumping to conclusions here - you are quite possible beat here, so you need to decide if you are going to stay in the game or not. With you bet size, you are doing 2 things wrong IMO. You are committing yourself, so may as well just ship - unless you were planning on calling the shove anyway. you could also make your RR smaller, considering SB has an above mentioned hand, say 900 or so, and still be in contention if you decide to fold to the RR. It also tells SB that you dont mind his push so much, if he actually is bluffing, which I dont think he is pushing on a flop bet with re raise. Then you still have 11 BB and can still be in the game.

I am going on the assumption here that SB will NOT take this line with AT, QQ etc. If you know SB to be a player who only looks at his cards and an idiot who will push with MP or TP 4th kicker then happily do just as you did.

FWIW, BB line is also worth noting, and try to be on more tables with him...........

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bleh.

It's hard to read this as anything other than a very strong holding for SB - likely two pair or a set and unless villain is a total drooler they've got to know they're not getting you to fold.

Once you've raised the flop I really don't see any way for you to fold BTW. You're getting close to 10:1 on a call, you're effectively crippled if you fold but you're in a dominating position if you somehow win and very occasionally this will be something weird that you have beat.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wasnt really worried about the SB considering he already checked, so I am looking as to what to do after the BB bet. It sounds like a smaller raise would have been better, as fletch said, I wouldnt be pot commited. after the SB raised me I knew I was beat but I basically had no chips left. My read on the BB was correct considering he folded so he wasnt stronger than me (unless he had AQ) so I think I had the right idea here but a smaller raise would have been better.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol also inb4, I'd guess at K9/ AT-AK, but after the raise you can never fold

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine, just shove in those spots to save you an extra decision (going to be useful if you ever plan to multitable), plus there's that small chance you may misclick (been there done that).