$10 NLHE STT: 6 Max DON $10 AK vs maniacs.

M

marksmith7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WPN, $10 Buy-in (50/100 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 5 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 1,405 (14.1 bb)
BB: 1,414 (14.1 bb)
MP: 2,912 (29.1 bb)
Hero (CO): 2,050 (20.5 bb)
BTN: 1,219 (12.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A
club4.gif
K
heart4.gif

MP folds, hero?

With a healthy but not great stack this is normally going to be a simple min raise followed by a fold to a 3bet. If we get flatted we are going to Cbet the flop if we miss and then fold to any pressure after that. The reason I post this hand is due to the villians I have behind me are not at all standard players.

Button stats over a small sample size are VPIP 33 pfr 30 AIPF% 10. These stats are only calculated with less than 20 BB's. This discounts stats from early on in DON's when everyone is playing tight. 10% AIPF is maniac territory albeit the sample size is small. The button has been trading insults with me in the chat box all night. His fold to cbet stats are unreliable due to small sample size.

SB is a weak reg. His stats don't encourage me to take any non standard line here.

BB is VPIP 30 PFR 15 AIPF% 10. Again these stats are all from late portions of DON's and a fairly limited sample size. These stats tell me he likes to call pre, a lot. His PFR isnt bad but he is constantly coming into pots as the caller. I'm doubt a min raise gets him to go away. His fold to cbet stats are unreliable due to small sample size. His 10% AIPF is maniac territory.

With two likely maniacs behind me (one of whom is in an ego ((ego was not the word I was going originally use here)) measuring contest) I'm not liking my chances here if I play small ball with my AK. I think its likely to get steamrolled by garbage hands. Over 2000 chips vs 5 players two of which I'm certain I have a significant skill advantage over gives me a TE of about 70% here if I lay down the AK. Open shoving is going to be a tough pill to swallow if one of these maniacs calls me down with a low to mid PP which I'm certain both of them would do if they have it. In that case i'd be trading my 70% TE for 45% PE.

What would you have done?

Hero raises to 2,050 and is all-in[/color], 2 folds, BB calls 1,314 and is all-in

I'll post the results tomorrow.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Effective stack 12bb , AK its top our range, steal not very optimal decision ,
because all the weak hands will fold and strong call, better standart raise 2 bb and
to look on what will be flop...

M

marksmith7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Effective stack 12bb , AK its top our range, steal not very optimal decision ,
because all the weak hands will fold and strong call, better standart raise 2 bb and
to look on what will be flop...

A standard raise would have got run over by these maniacs which is why I didn't try it. I would have ended up either missing the flop and cbet-folding. Or I would have hit the flop then fired two barrels and would have had to decide if I wanted to play for stacks with TPTK which is not an ideal situation.

Thank you for your input.

M

marksmith7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WPN, $10 Buy-in (50/100 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 5 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 1,405 (14.1 bb)
BB: 1,414 (14.1 bb)
MP: 2,912 (29.1 bb)
Hero (CO): 2,050 (20.5 bb)
BTN: 1,219 (12.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A
club4.gif
K
heart4.gif

MP folds, Hero raises to 2,050 and is all-in, 2 folds, BB calls 1,314 and is all-in

Flop: (2,878) 9
diamond4.gif
T
spade4.gif
spade4.gif
(2 players, 2 are all-in)
Turn: (2,878) 6
club4.gif
River: (2,878) 2
club4.gif

Results: 2,878 pot
Final Board: 9
diamond4.gif
T
spade4.gif
spade4.gif
club4.gif
club4.gif

BB showed J
club4.gif
A
spade4.gif
and lost (-1,414 net)
Hero showed A
club4.gif
K
heart4.gif
and won 2,878 (1,464 net)

Villain called me with AJ. I still cant figure out how some of these guys can keep money in their accounts playing level 1 poker all the time. My AK holds up and I take the big pot. The tournament would last an additional 11 hands of which I vpip'ed 0 and finished ITM. The other maniac lost a flip with the other reg for his stack. During my post session review I got to thinking about this again and I really don't like my play here. If this guy is calling me with AJ he's calling me with any PP. Trading my 70 TE for 45 would have been idiotic. Standard raising and bet-folding the flop or turn would have been a waste of chips as it had no chance of working against these guys. I play tight, really tight, but even I cant remember a spot where it would have been a good idea to fold ak in an unopened pot. Even though it worked out well for me I'm calling this one a misplay, I should have laid it down.

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats good and gusty call half of the time i dont go all in with AK had a string of bad luck with that hand.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against 4 players AK is is adequate enough to go all in

always raise and reraise with AK or in this case a shove.