$10 NLHE: $ NLHE: Wrong Time To Shove?

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$10 NL HE: $ NL HE: Wrong Time To Shove?

I think I played the hand perfectly, but thought I was up against Axs (Spades)

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 22/16/66

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 22/16/66

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 1000/2000 Blinds (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t282500)
UTG (t314000)
MP (t27000)
CO (t166000)
Button (t200000)
SB (t201000)

Hero's M: 94.17

Preflop: Hero is BB with J
heart.gif
, Q
spade.gif

UTG calls t2000, 3 folds, SB calls t1000, Hero checks

Flop: (t6000) 10
spade.gif
, 8
spade.gif
, 9
diamond.gif
(3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t6000, UTG calls t6000, 1 fold

Turn: (t18000) A
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t274500 (All-In), UTG calls t274500

River: (t567000) Q
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t567000

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're up against a range, not 1 hand. And if you're going to massively over-bet a street, it should be the flop. I also prefer check/raising the flop instead of leading out. This board is really wet, and UTG will usually have some part of it.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it OK. On one hand, you don't want to bet too hard on the flop because you might want him to call your flopped str8. Make a bit more off the hand. You don't want to bet too little, because you want to discourage drawing to the flush -- this bet might not be enough for that, but those who are drawing to a nut flush often seem willing to stay in no matter what. (Of course, you never know about those who fold...) On the turn, things had become a bit dicey for your straight. Two possible flushes now. Ick. I like the overbet here... you made him make a decision for most of his chips.

I like this play. It's bolder than I might make -- I might play it a bit easier, personally, given all the danger, but I lack guts at times. I also value survival in tourneys. So, mostly, I try to avoid shoving in tourneys.
I would be more likely to have done a nice check-raise on the flop and been satisfied with whatever I could get then.

I take it you got creamed on the river. So be it. If he runner-runner'd it, well... that's his mistake, even if he did win. Results don't matter, in the long run. Correct decisions do. It's only the short run that hurts.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was actually surprised, that turn card made him call my all-in, gave him 2 pair. A9o, didn't river me, and I added a wealthy chip amount.

I just figured the bet on the flop that he called told me he was on a couple ranges of hands. Most likely Axs. But I was wrong and despite him having a tight table image totally donked his chips off to me.